Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

40 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I like these old French records, both various artists from the '30s and '40s, maybe earlier.  Great Summer music. 

Paris After Dark  and Paris By Night

51WC+JkmoLL.jpg 

s-l500.jpg

I don't know if you like Fernandel or not-- I'm a Fernandel fanatic and bought a lot of his  CD's when I went to Paris.

I was living in France when Charles Trenet died. The French virtually made it a national bereavement. They have a lot of respect for not just their artists--but all artists.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't know if you like Fernandel or not-- I'm a Fernando fanatic and bought a lot of his  CD's when I went to Paris.

I was living in France when Charles Trenet died. The French virtually made it a national bereavement. They have a lot of respect for not just their artists--but all artists.

The French were the Americans first friends.  I have several prominent French recording artists, but not many.  I don't know Fernandel or Fernando... but I know the French went into mourning when SERGE GAINSBOURG died.  CHARLES TRENET is the very first song on Paris After Dark with "La Mer".  Both collections have good memories attached. 

Just now, Allhallowsday said:

The French were the Americans first friends.  I have several prominent French recording artists, but not many.  I don't know Fernandel or Fernando... but I know the French went into mourning when SERGE GAINSBOURG died.  CHARLES TRENET is the very first song on Paris After Dark with "La Mer".  Both collections have good memories attached. 

Fernandel is the greatest male singer of the French Music Hall  and film musical.

Some might say that Maurice Chevalier was the greatest-- it's a toss-up--but Chevalier did spend a lot of time in Hollywood and Fernandel just stayed in France.

Fernandel is considered to be a great comic actor as well as singer.

The only American film I've ever seen him in is a brief cameo in Mike Todd's "Around the World in 80 Days".

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Some might say that Maurice Chevalier was the greatest-- it's a toss-up--but Chevalier did spend a lot of time in Hollywood and Fernandel just stayed in France.

MAURICE CHEVALIER  EDITH PIAF  LYS GAUTY  CHARLES TRENET  JEAN SABLON and even DJANGO REINHARDT are all represented on both collections... but no FERNANDEL.  I ain't no big fan of CHEVALIER, but he is inoffensive. 

• Like 1

As a guitar player, I'd have to admit leaning more to DJANGO.  And am a bit familiar with Edith Piaf,  but when it comes to CHEVALIER, and French male singers, I more liked THIS guy....

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

As a guitar player, I'd have to admit leaning more to DJANGO.  And am a bit familiar with Edith Piaf,  but when it comes to CHEVALIER, and French male singers, I more liked THIS guy....

Sepiatone

This guy was a close friend of Sammy Davis and Liza-- he's very popular with the French.

My favorite pop French singer is Yves Montand-- one of the few who actually worked in Hollywood with top Stars like Marilyn Monroe and Barbra Streisand.

The amazing thing about Yves was that he was actually an excellent dramatic actor, an excellent singer and an excellent tap dancer all rolled into one.

Remarkably, he started out imitating Fernandel and being a Protege' of Edith Piaf. :)

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

CHARLES AZNAVOUR is represented on the collections I was listening to... with this :

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned Carole King? She's a songwriting genius. I love her solo work and the songs she's written for others. "Nightingale" is one of my favorites.

I think Fantasy is just as good as Tapestry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Has anyone mentioned Carole King? She's a songwriting genius. I love her solo work and the songs she's written for others. "Nightingale" is one of my favorites.

I love CAROLE KING.  My favorite album of hers is Music.  Her song "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" (with GERRY GOFFIN) is one of the greatest songs ever written. 

I have a lot of Country & Western uploaded from CD (mostly collections various artists) but this is the one I listen to a lot

R-12287706-1532207064-6148.jpeg.jpg

I love the exclamatory and sassy retorts mid-verse... "Never! Never! Uh-huh! What's that?  Yea-ah!"

On 7/9/2020 at 8:17 AM, Allhallowsday said:

I love CAROLE KING.  My favorite album of hers is Music.  Her song "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" (with GERRY GOFFIN) is one of the greatest songs ever written. 

I love the Righteous Brothers and Carole King and Gerry Goffin wrote one of their best songs--

" Just Once in My Life".

The Wilson Brothers( Carl and Brian Wilson) do a cool rendition of the song, each one taking a verse, on the Beach Boys album, "15 Big Ones".

But the most poignant rendition I've ever heard is Carole herself playing the piano and singing the song on the demo for Phil Spector and the Righteous Brothers.

This is fabulous stuff to see, and it's all on YouTube.

• Like 1

I like me some Southern rock. Lynyrd Skynyrd, of course, not big on the Allman Brothers, but I like Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Blackfoot, 38 Special, etc...

You don't hear these LS songs much.

The OUTLAWS This is their classic Green Grass and High Tides live from 1978,i was fortunate enough to see them opening for The Rolling Stones at Anaheim Stadium on july 23 & 24th 1978,PeterTosh opened,the Outlaws did a great set both days,they were hand picked by the Stones,the video is from the same year but later. 3 fiery guitars....

• Like 2