Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Burnin' is a most excellent album, as is Catch a Fire. I thought that Natty Dread, while good, didn't

quite measure up to those two. I should probably listen to it again as I haven't done so in a long

time. 

I used to run out of the room at the first hint of a Carpenters' song coming on. Now I just walk

out quickly.

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Burnin' is a most excellent album, as is Catch a Fire. I thought that Natty Dread, while good, didn't

quite measure up to those two. I should probably listen to it again as I haven't done so in a long

time. 

I used to run out of the room at the first hint of a Carpenters' song coming on. Now I just walk

out quickly.

Burnin' is the only WAILERS I've got - but I want Catch A Fire

I don't care for BREAD or SUPREMES (lots of great records) or most particularly BLACK SABBATH, I like every type but am a snob about the quality of the songs sometimes and others it's just the whole act.  I love CARPENTERS:D

Bread was okay. I like both the Supremes and Black Sabbath. There are two groups with nothing in

common for sure. 

I think I have all the BMW Island albums, some on vinyl, some on CD. All of them are pretty solid,

though some I like better than others. Babylon By Bus is a very good live double album.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

time. 

out quickly.

In those years way back then, I felt the same way about The Carpenters. I started to love The Carpenters years later. I think Karen's voice was beautiful, the arrangements were great.  So many beautiful songs. Great loss when Karen passed, 

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Bread was okay. I like both the Supremes and Black Sabbath. There are two groups with nothing in

common for sure. 

I think I have all the BMW Island albums, some on vinyl, some on CD. All of them are pretty solid,

though some I like better than others. Babylon By Bus is a very good live double album.

I love great records.  SUPREMES are great; my dislike for them is illogical and personal.  I even like DIANA ROSS !   And I love all the girl groups.  BOB MARLEY is always enjoyable to me.   Back in the 70s, CARPENTERS were like a guilty pleasure if you hung around Rock n' Rollers.  I think of NEIL DIAMOND nowadays as a guilty pleasure, whereas I have always proclaimed my admiration of KAREN CARPENTER.  I always kind of waved my freak flag. 

6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

In those years way back then, I felt the same way about The Carpenters. I started to love The Carpenters years later. I think Karen's voice was beautiful, the arrangements were great.  So many beautiful songs. Great loss when Karen passed, 

I guess in retrospect I would say the Carpenters were two talented folks who produced some catchy,

melodic pop songs and attained tremendous popularity. But I still wouldn't buy a Carpenters' greatest

hits CD. There was also the fact back then one couldn't escape, they were everywhere. Now that's

not the case. And Karen's death was certainly sad.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I love great records.  SUPREMES are great; my dislike for them is illogical and personal.  I even like DIANA ROSS !   And I love all the girl groups.  BOB MARLEY is always enjoyable to me.   Back in the 70s, CARPENTERS were like a guilty pleasure if you hung around Rock n' Rollers.  I think of NEIL DIAMOND nowadays as a guilty pleasure, whereas I have always proclaimed my admiration of KAREN CARPENTER.  I always kind of waved my freak flag. 

There must have been something freaky about the Carpenters as Sonic Youth, or at least Kim Gordon,

referenced Karen in a number of songs.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

There must have been something freaky about the Carpenters as Sonic Youth, or at least Kim Gordon,

referenced Karen in a number of songs.

It's KAREN CARPENTER's remarkable voice. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

It's KAREN CARPENTER's remarkable voice. 

I think it likely had more to do with Kim seeing Karen as some kind of (unwitting) feminist icon and

a victim of forces beyond her control. 

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

^It's KAREN CARPENTER's remarkable voice.:D

Kim Gordon wrote a memoir a few years ago titled Girl In A Band. Maybe she discusses the Karen

Carpenter connection there. Or maybe not. I've haven't read it.

6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I think it likely had more to do with Kim seeing Karen as some kind of (unwitting) feminist icon and

a victim of forces beyond her control. 

What "force" caused self starvation? Anorexia nervosa is nonsense - eat for crying out loud.

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

What "force" caused self starvation? Anorexia nervosa is nonsense - eat for crying out loud.

I believe she did near the end. But she ate too much too quickly and her heart wasn't strong enough to take on the new weight gain.

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

Some people have sensitivities and motivations that are obviously inconceivable to others--

Sometimes that's caused by a lack of empathy and other times it's simply caused from a lack of experience with diverse groups of people.

19 hours ago, hamradio said:

Likely the force of body shaming. Most folks aren't too disturbed by it,  but a famous celebrity who is

often in the public eye might be more susceptible to it. Anorexia nervosa isn't nonsense. It is an

actual condition that people suffer from. Obviously they need more help than just telling them

to eat. 

• Thanks 1