Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was reading up a little more on the Kim Gordon-Karen Carpenter connection. It seems Kim was a

big fan of the Carpenters when she was a teenager and later saw Karen as something of a victim.

Sonic Youth contributed a cover of Superstar to the 1994 tribute album If I Were a Carpenter.

Unfortunately, she doesn't do the lead vocals.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Try as I might, I never could find this LP back in '73 when it came out.  Usually heard this cut from it on radio

That belongs in "forgotten oldies"!  I haven't thought about that in decades... if I even remember it right!

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

That belongs in "forgotten oldies"!  I haven't thought about that in decades... if I even remember it right!

It was released in 72 or 73 with the London Symphony Orchestra,was never on a proper Rod Stewart album,it was featured on several comps,the original lp of Tommy was on Ode if i remember well, issued in a box format.

• Thanks 2

At the time('73) the dude on the radio claimed it was from an LP on which the London Symphony Orchestra, along with several other known rock singers each took on a tune from The Who's rock opera. But like I claimed, I was never able to dig it up anywhere, so I figured the DJ was grossly misinformed.  And yep.  I do prefer this one over Elton's movie version.  ;) 

Sepiatone

21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I don't believe(but still not sure) it was ever released as a "single" which is one rule I'll be a stickler on.  That a "forgotten oldie" be one which was once an attempted charting single, or one that has charted to some degree.  Just some track 90% of the populace never heard from an LP that same 90% never heard of really doesn't qualify.  Like this one, from the Sixto Rodriguez LP "Cold Fact"('70), but never singularly released.  ;) 

Sepiatone

40 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

At the time('73) the dude on the radio claimed it was from an LP on which the London Symphony Orchestra, along with several other known rock singers each took on a tune from The Who's rock opera. But like I claimed, I was never able to dig it up anywhere, so I figured the DJ was grossly misinformed.  And yep.  I do prefer this one over Elton's movie version.  ;) 

Sepiatone

As far as i can remember it was not released commercially as i was buying Rod's singles & lps then,years later  i saw a ep with 3 or 4 tracks with it on Ode ,this was made for radio airplay.

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't believe(but still not sure) it was ever released as a "single" which is one rule I'll be a stickler on.  That a "forgotten oldie" be one which was once an attempted charting single, or one that has charted to some degree.

Okay.  I didn't think it was a "single" but I do remember hearing it. 

Another Detroit band( and one I liked better than The Stooges) covered THIS year instead.  There were a few or so more that did different tunes with the same title, but their names escape me.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I may have posted this in another thread some time ago(at least I know I did in another forum).  but listen to the first few bars of this(which might have been in the "classical music" thread) and tell me if it's familiar to any of you....  ;) 

Sepiatone

30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Don't know what that Shirley Ellis clip had to do with anything, but ELP is correct.  But.... WHAT by ELP? 

I love that clip, that's why it's there. 

WHAT by ELP...? Why, that one you posted from their first album... :)

• Haha 1

I watched the last half of Elvis's Follow That Dream the other day. The title song is the best, but he also sings this beautiful song at the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I watched the last half of Elvis's Follow That Dream the other day. The title song is the best, but he also sings this beautiful song at the end.

ELVIS is King. 

I'm not meaning to start that stale old argument again.  But sorry, as good as he was, I still have to agree with what STEVIE WONDER once said....

"There was only ONE true king of rock and roll.  And that's CHUCK BERRY."  

FOLLOW THAT DREAM is one of the few Elvis flicks that all these years later I can still honestly say I like( "Jailhouse Rock" and "King Creole" being the only others).  Refreshing in a way that it shows Elvis, while playing a guitar during one number, actually playing the guitar, and changing to what looks like the proper chords at the proper times.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I've been listening to the Mirage CD in my car for a couple days. Pretty good sunny

California well-produced pop. 

• Like 1