Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Always did like that Ipanema girl!  ;)   I used to(in more recent times) do a sort of parody, walking around the house singing;

"The girl from EMPANADA ......"  ;) :D 

Sepiatone

On 8/30/2020 at 10:52 AM, Sepiatone said:

Always did like that Ipanema girl!  ;)   I used to(in more recent times) do a sort of parody, walking around the house singing;

"The girl from EMPANADA ......"  ;) :D 

Sepiatone

For the unfamiliar.......

Versatile food item.  Can be meat(beef, pork, chicken) filled for a savory entree, or fruit filled for a delicious dessert or snack.  My favorites are apple or pumpkin filled.    And so, back to the music....  ;) 

:D 

Sepiatone

Never saw the TV show, so not familiar with any "Dark Shadows" music. The rest are great choices, and my favorite Joplin "Rag" is...

And another Ragtime pianist/composer I liked (and was still alive so I had the good fortune to see and hear him perform in the '70s) ----

Sepiatone

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Never saw the TV show, so not familiar with any "Dark Shadows" music.

The theme is well known; I never listen to it.  There is some "mood music" that's atmospheric from the Dark Shadows Soundtrack that I do like.  Here's a sample :

This is my favorite Rag :

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Heh.  Kinda makes you think there were some maple leaves on those Gladiolus'  ;) 

Sepiatone

I have the JOSHUA RIFKIN recordings from about 1970.  I had or have the first and 3rd on vinyl, now a CD which includes all of the first maybe part of the 2nd.  . 

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, all I was saying is there does seem to be some slight musical similarities of the two tunes.

Sepiatone

Okay; I don't disagree.  Maple Leaf Rag is one of SCOTT JOPLIN's earliest Rags (1898 I think).  His Rags get more complicated as he developed the form. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

I had several KINKS albums on vinyl, but the only one that I listened to much then and now is The KINKS Are The Village Green Preservation Society - a masterpiece.

village-green-cover.jpg

So do you still listen to albums,  as albums?   (i.e. playing an album and listening to all the songs on side "A"  or "B" or both).

This is a topic at the Jazz Guitar forum;    I have all of my music (around 3,000 songs,  mostly jazz,  with the rock being mostly Beatles, and Kinks),  on a NANO and also a computer.      I created playlist (e.g.  Latin jazz,  Jazz from the 50s,  Blue-Note,  Early Beatles,  Later-Beatles, etc...).     I use the random feature and these playlist most of the time. 

Sometimes I'll use the "artist" feature and just listen to one artist,  but there I also use the random feature.      The only actual album I listen to  is Abbey Road  (the "B" side needs to be listened to 'in order' since that is part of the creativity).  

While I believed I was doing what 99% of people do today,   according to the jazz website a lot of people still listen to albums.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So do you still listen to albums,  as albums?   (i.e. playing a album and listening to all the songs on side "A"  or "B" or both).

This is a topic at the Jazz Guitar forum;    I have all of my music (around 3,000 songs,  mostly jazz,  with the rock being mostly Beatles, and Kinks),  on a NANO and also a computer.      I created playlist (e.g.  Latin jazz,  Jazz from the 50s,  Blue-Note,  Early Beatles,  Later-Beatles, etc...).     I use the random feature and these playlist most of the time. 

Sometimes I'll use the "artist" feature and just listen to one artist,  but there I also use the random feature.      The only actual album I listen to  is Abbey Road  (the "B" side needs to be listened to 'in order' since that is part of the creativity).  

While I believed I was doing what 99% of people do today,   according to the jazz website a lot of people still listen to albums.

I haven't been able to play vinyl LPs or 45s in years. 

This past week I sold my Victrola and included most of my 78s.  It was made in 1912 and people were amazed no electric, no speakers... so now, I have no way to play any vinyl. 

I listen to entire album uploads every day.  Mixes are my own creation and I've made dozens.  I used to burn CDs for friends.  Whole albums side 1 and 2 and often think in terms of vinyl and remember record albums often and fondly.  I have a lot of CDs now and they are handy to lend friends.  I listen to all my music with few exceptions as computer uploads or YouTube!

Well, fresh garbage is better than mellow garbage, at least smell-wise.

I'm still stuck in the old album listening technology, though now it's CDs. I guess I'm on a Garbage

binge because right now I'm listening to Version 2.0. Still sounds pretty good. 

I have a couple Kinks' albums on vinyl, not the old ones from the mid to late 1960s but a little later.

I also bought two of the Arista Kinks' records from the late 1970s. After that, they're on their own.

1 minute ago, Vautrin said:

Well, fresh garbage is better than mellow garbage, at least smell-wise.

I'm still stuck in the old album listening technology, though now it's CDs. I guess I'm on a Garbage

binge because right now I'm listening to Version 2.0. Still sounds pretty good. 

I have a couple Kinks' albums on vinyl, not the old ones from the mid to late 1960s but a little later.

I also bought two of the Arista Kinks' records from the late 1970s. After that, they're on their own.

Like I told the folks at the Jazz forum I have never listened to an entire side of a record since I was a teen.    Before CDs,  I would get records and make cassette tapes.    Most of the time a tape would be related to one jazz musician,  and then would have my favorite songs from 3 or 4 of their albums to fill up 90 minutes.    (based on either records I purchased or borrowed from friends).    I'm picky and I didn't have the patience to listen to an entire record (i.e. listen to songs I don't really love,  until there is one that I do).     I made over 100 such tapes. 

Once CDs replaced records,   I did the same with CDs (except no more cassette tapes but instead recordable-CDs).        I still have about 70 of these playlist CDs,  as well as 100s of actual CD albums.      But like I said I rarely use them now that all of my 2,000 plus songs are on disk drives. 

I do have a music room with all of my pre-marriage stereo system;  (large JBL speakers,   Amp \ receiver,  5 disk CD player),   but most of the time the CDs in rotation on the 5 disk player are those playlist CDs I have.    (Or I'm playing my backing-tracks of jazz standards and playing my guitar over these).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Like I told the folks at the Jazz forum I have never listened to an entire side of a record since I was a teen.    Before CDs,  I would get records and make cassette tapes.    Most of the time a tape would be related to one jazz musician,  and then would have my favorite songs from 3 or 4 of their albums to fill up 90 minutes.    (based on either records I purchased or borrowed from friends).    I'm picky and I didn't have the patience to listen to an entire record (i.e. listen to songs I don't really love,  until there is one that I do).     I made over 100 such tapes. 

Once CDs replaced records,   I did the same with CDs (except no more cassette tapes but instead recordable-CDs).        I still have about 70 of these playlist CDs,  as well as 100s of actual CD albums.      But like I said I rarely use them now that all of my 2,000 plus songs are on disk drives. 

I do have a music room with all of my pre-marriage stereo system;  (large JBL speakers,   Amp \ receiver,  5 disk CD player),   but most of the time the CDs in rotation on the 5 disk player are those playlist CDs I have.    (Or I'm playing my backing-tracks of jazz standards and playing my guitar over these).

Back in the day I think most people listened to albums all the way through. Today there are so many different

ways to listen to music that people can choose their own method. I'm just used to listening first to vinyl records

then to CDs in the manner. Just a force of habit by now. I know many people complain about buying albums

with only a few good songs on them and the rest is just filler, but maybe they're buying the wrong records. I've

never had that problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have one of those "retro look" combo record/CD/Cassette/ AM:FM players with a 78rpm speed I used for 78s.  But it needs repair and I haven't been able to get at it yet.  I also have an old Marantz receiver my brother in law is letting me use for hooking up my old turntable and playing whatever vinyl LPs I still have.  Which are mostly those never reissued on CD.  Hooked up to a couple old Pioneer speakers I found at a garage sale.  My main sound is in my living room, which I usually play CDs if not tuned into a public radio station for jazz and classical( We have a station that plays  classical from 7am-7pm then switches over to jazz from 7pm-7am and so on)  I quit using my old dual cassette player 20 some years ago.  Have no idea where all those old tapes are.  Lost in the move 9 years ago....

As for VAUTRIN'S mention of people complaining about buying vinyl LPs with only a few good songs on them, well, over time I've learned to live without those few good songs but finally, thanks to "shareware", I was able to get my daughter to hunt them down and burn them onto several compilation CDs.  ;) 

Why anyone would choose to listen to music through their cell phones or earbuds or even those cheez-o Amazon echo units is a puzzlement I'll likely never solve. Like, I can't imagine listening to THIS over a phone!---

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
On 9/5/2020 at 11:55 AM, Sepiatone said:

Why anyone would choose to listen to music through their cell phones or earbuds or even those cheez-o Amazon echo units is a puzzlement I'll likely never solve. Like, I can't imagine listening to THIS over a phone!-

I remember listening to my Sony Walkman for about a year or two ... 40 years ago.  I listened to my own tape mixes or straight album lifts.  I had no problem with my li'l headphones!

On 9/5/2020 at 11:55 AM, Sepiatone said:

I have one of those "retro look" combo record/CD/Cassette/ AM:FM players with a 78rpm speed I used for 78s.  But it needs repair

Mine too.  It's been sitting on the shelf for at least 10 years.

• Haha 1