Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Even though the movie is a turkey, the opening scene is great (more so CGI wasn't used!)

Never have made it all the way through the movie, but I sure did play the soundtrack LP a bunch back in the day...

Sadly, despite all the OTHER great music of the '70's, the decade will tragically be remembered for being "the Disco era".    And really....

We(or NObody) really needed THIS   :angry:  -------------------

"EXTENDED"?   You mean it wasn't already TOO LONG???

Sepiatone

52 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sadly, despite all the OTHER great music of the '70's, the decade will tragically be remembered for being "the Disco era".    And really....

We(or NObody) really needed THIS   :angry:  -------------------

"EXTENDED"?   You mean it wasn't already TOO LONG???

Sepiatone

A lot of those "extended" music are fan based edits.  The only sad thing in that post is seeing the Twin Towers.  As the expression goes, one doesn't miss something until it's gone. :(

Have "5th of Beethhoven" on 45 (large spindle) and the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack LP's.

22 hours ago, hamradio said:

A lot of those "extended" music are fan based edits.  The only sad thing in that post is seeing the Twin Towers.  As the expression goes, one doesn't miss something until it's gone. :(

Have "5th of Beethhoven" on 45 (large spindle) and the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack LP's.

Well, as they say....  "To each........."   There's no accounting for taste.  OR lack thereof.  ;)    As for the first part of the quote-------

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, as they say....  "To each........."   There's no accounting for taste.  OR lack thereof.  ;)    As for the first part of the quote-------

Sepiatone

And this song is an excellent example of the capitalistic lifestyle in the United States of America.

(BTW-- Her old man was one of my British Invasion heartthrobs:

Graham Nash.

On 11/27/2020 at 11:58 AM, hamradio said:

Back in the Disco era well into 1980s, 12 inch singles were the rage and hit records often had "extended mixes" to accommodate Disco dancing.  Typically, they were padding.  Sometimes the "extended mix" was the original that had been edited for Top 40 radio ("Tainted Love" comes to mind).  

This record had a few manifestations, this might be closest to the original local 12 inch that was issued only in the tri state. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, Sepiatone said:

A lot of that "top 40 editing" had been done for years before the 12" extended mix records came about. 

Yes, that was the point... : edited for Top 40 radio... "American Pie" was so long, the song was issued with half the 45 the "A" side and the other half the "B" side... 

I remember AEROSMITH's song "Dream On" was also edited for Top 40. 

20 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Yes, that was the point... : edited for Top 40 radio... "American Pie" was so long, the song was issued with half the 45 the "A" side and the other half the "B" side... 

I remember AEROSMITH's song "Dream On" was also edited for Top 40. 

I don't know about "Dream On" as I long quit listening to top 40 AM radio by the time the song came around.  And that editing was foregone in some(and few) cases.

HEY, JUDE was never edited for AM top 40.

Neither was Dylan's LIKE A ROLLING STONE.

So, if your name was big enough, your longer than three minute single got played intact.  And it too, goes back further if you recall...

SMOKIE Pts 1  2 ( Bill Black's Combo, '59) with #2 being the "A" side

WHAT'D I SAY --  Pts 1 & 2 ( Ray Charles '59) with pts.1 & 2 divided  between  the "A" side and the "B".  

But then.... THIS "big name" got split up too!

Sepiatone

21 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't know about "Dream On" as I long quit listening to top 40 AM radio by the time the song came around.  And that editing was foregone in some(and few) cases.

HEY, JUDE was never edited for AM top 40.

Neither was Dylan's LIKE A ROLLING STONE.

So, if your name was big enough, your longer than three minute single got played intact.  And it too, goes back further if you recall...

SMOKIE Pts 1  2 ( Bill Black's Combo, '59) with #2 being the "A" side

WHAT'D I SAY --  Pts 1 & 2 ( Ray Charles '59) with pts.1 & 2 divided  between  the "A" side and the "B".  

But then.... THIS "big name" got split up too!

Sepiatone

Was Hey Jude edited or just truncated?   To me there is a difference:   editing is removing parts between the start and end  (e.g. a chorus or verse),   truncated is removing an intro and\or starting the fading out "early".

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

As I posted; "HEY, JUDE was never edited for AM top 40"

It was neither edited or truncated. 

Sepiatone

Sorry,  I misread what you wrote.      I also learned something:   I wasn't aware a single was released where the "A" side contained the full 7.11 version and that this was the first Beatles single released by Apple Records.     It was a 7 inch single.      Learn something new everyday (but typically I don't about The Beatles!). 

My first Beatles Album was the Capitol's North American compilation of singles album call "Hey Jude".     

• Haha 1

I still have my Hey Jude single, just a little the worse for wear. It is 7:11 minutes long. The B side is

Revolution, 3:22. I also have the Hey Jude LP. I still remember seeing an ad in the newspaper for a

Beatles' album called Get Back, which I believe was going to be the title of what became the Hey

Jude album. Apparently there was some last minute mix up somewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sorry,  I misread what you wrote.      I also learned something:   I wasn't aware a single was released where the "A" side contained the full 7.11 version and that this was the first Beatles single released by Apple Records.     It was a 7 inch single.      Learn something new everyday (but typically I don't about The Beatles!). 

My first Beatles Album was the Capitol's North American compilation of singles album call "Hey Jude".     

And later came the two "Past Masters" LPs ('88)  with "Hey Jude" on volume 2.

My first Beatles single was I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND  with I SAW HER STANDING THERE on the "B" side.  Ran out and bought it the day after first hearing it in Dec. '63.

My first Beatles LP was the Capitol U.S. release MEET THE BEATLES  Still have it somewhere 'round here.  ;)   Well worn after 50+ years, I assure you.  ;) 

And while on this track, we learned eventually that (with a few exceptions as to tracks) that in England, MEET The Beatles was known as WITH The Beatles.  And the LP we knew as "Beatles '65" was, in the UK known as "Beatles For sale".   Then there was that "She Loves You" thing with it on the SWAN label and not Capitol or Polydor or whichever UK label they largely recorded for.   Turns out it did come out before "hand" but not in the U.S.  

Sepiatone

On 12/19/2020 at 1:38 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And later came the two "Past Masters" LPs ('88)  with "Hey Jude" on volume 2.

My first Beatles single was I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND  with I SAW HER STANDING THERE on the "B" side.  Ran out and bought it the day after first hearing it in Dec. '63.

My first Beatles LP was the Capitol U.S. release MEET THE BEATLES  Still have it somewhere 'round here.  ;)   Well worn after 50+ years, I assure you.  ;) 

And while on this track, we learned eventually that (with a few exceptions as to tracks) that in England, MEET The Beatles was known as WITH The Beatles.  And the LP we knew as "Beatles '65" was, in the UK known as "Beatles For sale".   Then there was that "She Loves You" thing with it on the SWAN label and not Capitol or Polydor or whichever UK label they largely recorded for.   Turns out it did come out before "hand" but not in the U.S.  

Sepiatone

Before the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan I had a school chum give me the "I Want to Hold Your Hand" 45 on Capitol.

After they were on The Ed Sullivan Show, I saw them play "She Loves You", so I went out and bought that.

Sep-- As you pointed out that record was on Swan. When the Beatles first came out all their stuff was a total mess with "Please Please Me" on VeeJay and and their first album-- Introducing The Beatles" also on VeeJay.   I even had an EP of that one-- does anybody here remember EP's?

It took a while for EMI to get it all straightened out. And of course Capitol was a subsidiary of EMI.

But I bought the "Meet The Beatles" Capitol album just as soon as I could save the money from my allowance after the 2nd Ed Sullivan Show appearance.

My budget was tight and I had to still by the Beach Boys, The Four Seasons and the Motown records.

45's@ $0.90

High Fidelity albums@ $4

Stereo albums@ $5

The only way I could get everything I wanted was not to eat lunch and save my lunch money.

So in those days, I could almost give Twiggy a run for the money. 😀

• Haha 1

Was laughing at the "Twiggy" line.  ;) 

I'll tell this again.....

After hearing I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND for the first time on WJBK-AM Detroit on a Friday night in Dec. '63, I left my room to catch the JACK PAAR TV show.  He had just come back after spending time in England and said he had film of England's "most popular rock'n'roll band"  and it turned out to be THE BEATLES!  With an "A"!!   I turned to my folks and said, "I just heard these guys on the radio before coming out here."  Paar's film was shot in the Cavern Club and the song was "She Loves You".   The following Monday at school I could only find one other guy who saw that show and heard that record("Hand").  The rest, as they say, is history.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Was laughing at the "Twiggy" line.  ;) 

I'll tell this again.....

After hearing I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND for the first time on WJBK-AM Detroit on a Friday night in Dec. '63, I left my room to catch the JACK PAAR TV show.  He had just come back after spending time in England and said he had film of England's "most popular rock'n'roll band"  and it turned out to be THE BEATLES!  With an "A"!!   I turned to my folks and said, "I just heard these guys on the radio before coming out here."  Paar's film was shot in the Cavern Club and the song was "She Loves You".   The following Monday at school I could only find one other guy who saw that show and heard that record("Hand").  The rest, as they say, is history.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I saw that show!

My mom was crazy about Jack Paar, thought he was a real nice guy.

Despite watching that show and getting the free Beatle record prior to Ed Sullivan, I wasn't sold on the Beatles until they sang "She Loves You" live on The Ed Sullivan Show.

And I have NOT been the same since.😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I saw that show!

My mom was crazy about Jack Paar, thought he was a real nice guy.

Despite watching that show and getting the free Beatle record prior to Ed Sullivan, I wasn't sold on the Beatles until they sang "She Loves You" live on The Ed Sullivan Show.

And I have NOT been the same since.😂

You, the culture, music and the music industry.  ;) 

But, like I stated, I was a fan from jump.

Sepiatone

Stands to reason that someone who likes a president who sprays cheese on his face would like plenty of "cheez" in his music!  ;)  

But, given the time of year, THIS is music( and many styles of such.  ;) )

Sepiatone