Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Allhallowsday

Why your USER NAME and AVATAR?

37 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I see some users have no actual avatar, but many do... and why your user name? 

Some people use some or all of their actual names. For instance, Lawrence A is from my real name. Or Dargo, whose real name is D. Argo (I think). 

As for avatars, I change mine all the time. In fact I used to change it one or more times a week, much to some people's annoyance. I was Lon Chaney Sr. last month. I'll probably change it when March comes around. My idea this year is to choose my favorite actor from successive decades each month (January = 1910's = Lon Chaney, February = 1920's = Buster Keaton, March = 1930's = ???)

Others have been using the same avatar for as long as can be remembered. Others haven't mastered the ability to post pictures, and thus can not choose an avatar.

• Thanks 1

taint smart to put personal info about yourself on the internet. never has been and never will be.

it's kinda like what hawkeye said about henry blake...

"he's trying to go through the war as anonymously as possible."

:D

Image result for mclean stevenson mash

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

taint smart to put personal info about yourself on the internet. never has been and never will be.

it's kinda like what hawkeye said about henry blake...

"he's trying to go through the war as anonymously as possible."

What personal info? Why you chose your particular screen name and avatar? 

There are a few people on here who are excessively paranoid.

okay, some early mechanical television employed a scanning disc called a nipkow disk invented by some guy named nipkow.

:D

Oh, and I did notice that while the OP asked others for their stories, he didn't provide any himself. 

🧫

I was tap dancing before Shirley Temple was born.

Not quite, but it seems like it.

Shirley was the real Tap Princess and there are still some of those steps that I can't quite get.

Something like a flap ball change Shuffle hop toe dig dig flap heel heel-- oh, and I forgot to say you've got to do this while turning. LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I was tap dancing before Shirley Temple was born.

Not quite, but it seems like it.

Shirley was the real Tap Princess and there are still some of those steps that I can't quite get.

Something like a flap ball change Shuffle hop toe dig dig flap heel heel-- oh, and I forgot to say you've got to do this while turning. LOL

are you that cute little girl that spanky liked when he appeared as the noblest roman in the kiddie talent show?

Image result for spanky the noblest roman

15 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Oh, and I did notice that while the OP asked others for their stories, he didn't provide any himself. 

🧫

I was waiting for someone to ask; perhaps no one would have been interested. 

I like GENE WILDER as Willie Wonka because he's a little loony and a bit of a smart ****, and mostly a clown (which might describe me).   I don't like the movie especially. 

All Hallows Day is All Saints Day - my birthday. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

are you that cute little girl that spanky liked when he appeared as the noblest roman in the kiddie talent show?

No, I was a girl watching television at home after school who was very jealous of her. Because I was in love with Spanky. Somehow I got over him.

• Haha 1

When I was learning to browse the Internet 20 something years ago, I would click on a link and very often I would get a "404 Not Found" message instead of the page I was looking for, and i like the combination of those numbers together.

• Like 1

Just a bit of a monk who monkeys around a bit. Avatar is all sweetness and light with an attitude.

OK----

Screen name?   I attempted to use the same screen name I use in three or four other forums. ---- WHITEFANG.  but was informed upon registering that the name was already in use here.  So trying to think of something that would tie in with classic movies, I came up with SEPIA TONE, but made it into a single word.   And by the way...

Never saw ANYONE using the name "Whitefang" here.  Still wondering what was up with telling me that.

AVATAR? ----- Don't know how to go about setting that, and it really doesn't matter to me anyway.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I changed my username to match my letterboxd account. :) The original one was because I watched Damsel in Distress and Girl Crazy right before making an account and really liked the composer but I think making it a movie character name is a better idea.

• Like 1

Re: Why your USER NAME and AVATAR?

User names and avatars is the best way to keep anonymity. Giving personal  details on websites is most unwise.

I won't share personal images here on other websites where a connection can be made. 

I'm vague on exactly where I live and work. Don't fall for the psychology of "what have you to hide?"

• Like 1

I used my real name here, and since I don’t have a favorite actor, I used a pic of my favorite actress, Linda Darnell   I would change it periodically for others of her, but I don’t seem to be able to/remember how.

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

Re: Why your USER NAME and AVATAR?

User names and avatars is the best way to keep anonymity. Giving personal  details on websites is most unwise.

I won't share personal images here on other websites where a connection can be made. 

I'm vague on exactly where I live and work. Don't fall for the psychology of "what have you to hide?"

You couldn't lose your anonymity by explaining why you picked Hamradio as your user-name and why you selected that avatar,  which I assume relates to the user name (well unless you're Rush Limbaugh,  ha ha).

Isn't the basic answer here one of your hobbies is Ham radio?    (like mine is playing jazz guitar,  and  since I'm a nobody in that profession my anonymity is safe).

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You couldn't lose your anonymity by explaining why you picked Hamradio as your user-name and why you selected that avatar,  which I assume relates to the user name (well unless you're Rush Limbaugh,  ha ha).

Isn't the basic answer here one of your hobbies is Ham radio?    (like mine is playing jazz guitar,  and  since I'm a nobody in that profession my anonymity is safe).

Some people act as if they're being asked for their street address and social security number. The OP wasn't even asking for names, first or last, only inquiring what inspired the admittedly eclectic choices of screen-name and avatar on this particular website. I don't see what the defensiveness is about with some folks.

24 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here find me? :D

https://hamcall.net/call

8912.jpg

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Some people act as if they're being asked for their street address .....

Or in Ham’s case, which abandoned coal mine shaft in West Virginia.  Will be safe there with the raging pandemic. 🙃

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Arturo said:

Or in Ham’s case, which abandoned coal mine shaft in West Virginia.  Will be safe there with the raging pandemic. 🙃

One thing Coronavirus is doing is making much of the country get a taste  what it's like to have empty businesses / streets, unemployment, despair the way some parts of West Virginia has  endured because of the death of coal.

Tell me how does it feel?  Karma's a b_tch!

New York (Corona)

5e7143bac485402d8c7b5e02?width=1100&form

West Virginia (no jobs because no coal)

636446361232155031-7.IMG-1771.JPG?width=

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

One thing Coronavirus is doing is making much of the country get a taste  what it's like to have empty businesses / streets, unemployment, despair the way some parts of West Virginia has  endured because of the death of coal.

Tell me how does it feel?  Karma's a b_tch!

Maybe we can give ya'll jobs filling up the empty mines shafts with dead Americans from around the rest of the country...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

You know I'm referring to the ECONOMIC side! :angry:

Truth sure does hurt judging by the last idiotic reply.

Wonder how many sitting at home because of quarantine worrying about global warming NOW?  

24 minutes ago, hamradio said:

You know I'm referring to the ECONOMIC side! :angry:

It apparently went right over your head

I was referring  to the ECONOMIC side!

It will be a real boon

• Haha 1