Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

Kirk Douglas 24-Hour Tribute Slated for March 5

http://www.tcm.com/remembers/

6:00 AM (ET) strangeloveofmarthaivers1946_91604_188x141_08302013104441.jpg The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)
8:00 AM (ET) twoweeksinanothertown1962_ff_188x141_111920120954.jpg Two Weeks in Another Town (1962)
10:00 AM (ET) storyofthreeloves_kirk_rip_188x141_020720200230.jpg The Story of Three Loves (1953)
12:15 AM (ET) alongthegreatdivide1951_ff_188x141_072020110113.jpg Along the Great Divide (1951)
2:00 PM (ET) outofthepast_kirk_rip_188x141_020720200227.jpg Out of the Past (1947)
3:45 PM (ET) youngmanwithahorn1950_ff_188x141_061920120828.jpg Young Man With a Horn (1950)
5:45 PM (ET) lustforlife_1956_ff_188x141_012020100527.jpg Lust for Life (1956)
8:00 PM (ET) pathsofglory_kirk_rip_188x141_020720200249.jpg Paths of Glory (1958)
9:45 PM (ET) spartacus1960_30568_187x141_09302019123035.jpg Spartacus (1960)
1:15 AM (ET) michaeldouglas_livefromthetcmcff_2018_sp_188x141_031620180250.jpg Live From the TCM Classic Film Festival: Michael Douglas (2018)
2:30 AM (ET) badandthebeautiful_kirk_rip_188x141_020720200225.jpg The Bad and the Beautiful (1953)
4:45 AM (ET) sevendaysinmay1964_ff_188x141_120320120717.jpg Seven Days in May (1964)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

I'm surprised they didn't decide to re-air "Before I Forget," Douglas' 2009 one-man show. 

See the source image

• Like 2

Thanks, Speedy. Too bad it's not on a wknd. Will only be able to watch a couple of them.

WHY is the interview with Michael in there? I know he's his son BUT STILL....

No great loss. The evening films have been shown a lot. (maybe not Khartoum, but it has been shown before).

same beaten into the ground tcm coffer crud...

nothing new...

my only request would be Draw! from 1984.

"Right!"

spartacus1960_30568_187x141_09302019123035.jpg

Too bad Ace in the Hole wasn't included, but it's Paramount. Would've liked a few contemporary set films like Strangers When We Meet etc.....

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 12:22 PM, Hibi said:

No great loss. The evening films have been shown a lot. (maybe not Khartoum, but it has been shown before).

The primetime theme with Heston might be moved to the May schedule or June schedule.

Hey, Nipkow Disc, wanna buy my spare VHS copy of "DRAW!"?  I bought two of them many moons ago on the Canadian ASTRAL VIDEO label.  But it will cost you! :D

I know what you're thinking:  "How much will it cost me?"

My answer:  "How much have you got?"  :)

'Nuff said.  The #1 Kirk Douglas movie I want to see is the 1968 private-eye drama A LOVELY WAY TO DIE.  I've been meaning to buy the DVD-R (or whatever those MOD discs are called) for a while and just haven't done it.  That's a Universal Picture so I'm not surprised TCM didn't get it for Kirk's tribute.  Shucks, Kirk was in enough movies to fill up a several-day tribute!

Just now, Mr. Gorman said:

'Nuff said.  The #1 Kirk Douglas movie I want to see is the 1968 private-eye drama A LOVELY WAY TO DIE.  I've been meaning to buy the DVD-R (or whatever those MOD discs are called) for a while and just haven't done it.  That's a Universal Picture so I'm not surprised TCM didn't get it for Kirk's tribute.  Shucks, Kirk was in enough movies to fill up a several-day tribute!

I have A Lovely Way to Die in a box set, Kirk Douglas: The Centennial Collection. It also includes Spartacus (I have that one on Blu-ray), Man Without a StarThe Last SunsetThe List of Adrian MessengerFor Love or MoneyThe War Wagon, and Lonely Are the Brave. It cost $7.99 through the Edward Hamilton clearance seller catalog.

• Like 1

That was cheap at only $7.99. 

A LOVELY WAY TO DIE was never released on tape or I'd have bought it years ago.  Same with FOR LOVE OR MONEY.  I've got THE WAR WAGON and THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER from 'MCA/Universal'.  I still need to snag "Lonely Are the Brave" on tape.  I keep forgetting that one.      

It's a shame about the rarity of some of Kirk's made for TV movies, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Mousey (aka Cat and Mouse) and Amos, in particular. I've yet to see Jekyll and Hyde but the latter two films are both good, with Kirk going psychotic in Mousey and an old man stuck in a seniors residence where he knows that patients are being murdered in Amos (this film has a very impressive performance from Elizabeth Montgomery, a far cry from Samantha in Bewitched). For those interested there is a washed out image of Amos on You Tube.

• Thanks 1

MOUSEY got released in the UK on VHS.  I bought a copy of it years ago.  I had an industrial VCR that would play PAL-format VHS tapes so I set about to rounding up some video goodies that never got released in the U.S.  And MOUSEY was one of them. 

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Thanks, Speedy. Too bad it's not on a wknd. Will only be able to watch a couple of them.

I thought that was weird too.  They had a 45-min gap to fill and figured that that interview was something they found that would fit the time frame? 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

That's a Universal Picture so I'm not surprised TCM didn't get it for Kirk's tribute. 

Yeah, because all TCM has to do is buy the DVD on demand. (sarcasm) Universal is pretty tight with some of their titles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yeah, because all TCM has to do is buy the DVD on demand. (sarcasm) Universal is pretty tight with some of their titles.

You laugh, but some people believe that's all they have to do.  They've got no understanding how complicated rights management is.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hibi said:

I think Michael talks about his dad’s career in the interview. In fact, I really don’t remember them talking about his own movies. But I’m old so I sometimes forget stuff that doesn’t affect my own business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, Hibi said:

Too bad "Ace in the Hole" wasn't included, but it's Paramount.

It'll be coming up on TCM on Saturday, May 9 as part of an evening of movies about newspaper reporting.