Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

When Worlds Collide (1951). Set your DVRs!

Now I know there's at least one poster here besides me who will be jazzed about this movie.  Here's some good science fiction moviemaking, of the vein labeled among aficionados as hard science fiction.  Meaning an emphasis on technology, hardware, engineering, interstellar logistics and such.  Not lacking in high-minded philosophizing, either, or hard-nosed decision-making in the face of harder-nosed realities.  Also, lots of allegorical embellishments relating to the Garden of Eden, Noah's ark, the colonization of America, and Manifest Destiny.  The story:  Earth is doomed.  A star and its planet are headed toward it.  First the star will cause catastrophic devastation, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis, and the like.  Then the planet will collide and obliterate Earth.  But a chance exists to escape to the new planet after the collision, and a ship is planned and built with a mega-wealthy man's money, who purchases a place on it for his aged, sickly body.  Will it succeed?  You guess.  Many will like it for its validation of the American mythos and ethos.  I like it because the goddamned one-percenter gets screwed out of his seat to the moral satisfaction of all.

It's not a premiere, but a very rare showing, so don't miss it.

Thursday, February, 13, 5 pm, Pacific time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Dang! I've been waiting for this film to  come back, and I'm working Thursday night!!! I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  Gypped again.

I don't have DVR, so I guess I'm stuck watching my DVD of the movie.  (D'OH!)  ;) 

Sepiatone

zyra the planet passes by the earth first and about a half a month later coming into direct collision the star Bellus

"it's better to know." -Richard Derr

:D

Image result for when worlds collide 1951

they were always showing it back in the 1970s on WOR Channel 9s Four O'clock movie.

always liked that music and montage.

not a hard film to come by. made a search with my torrent search app and DLed a lovely mpeg4 file, a WEBRip. since the frame rate is 23.97 and since I'm all out of blank DVDs I'll put it on a CD.

it's not a perfect film. I think Pal shoulda given us more scary matte shots of Bellus as it homes in on the earth.

:)

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't have DVR, so I guess I'm stuck watching my DVD of the movie.  (D'OH!)  ;) 

Sepiatone

Life's tough.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

zyra the planet passes by the earth first and about a half a month later coming into direct collision the star Bellus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not a hard film to come by. made a search with my torrent search app and DLed a lovely mpeg4 file, a WEBRip. since the frame rate is 23.97 and since I'm all out of blank DVDs I'll put it on a CD.

it's not a perfect film. I think Pal shoulda given us more scary matte shots of Bellus as it homes in on the earth.

:)

That matte painting is...HORRIBLE!!! Outside the crappy artwork why are there PYRAMIDS in it??  :blink:  Rocket looks and takes off like a German V1 (that sled which fell away) :lol:

At the time the movie was made, the idea of rogue planets, stars were not scientific fact, producer just wanted a scenario that was outside the box.  Turns out they are for real, the first discovered in 2012.

https://newatlas.com/rogue-planet-cfbdsir2149/25028/

Could we be hit directly by one, very unlikely because space is HUGE.  We don't need one to come that close to cause problems. (gravitational effect on the Oort cloud)

Movie was remade called "Evacuate Earth" (2012),  semi documentary / movie involving a rogue neutron star.  Even that one is a little funny...how did the Space Ark slow down when approaching Earth 2 at 1/10th the speed of light.? Forgot something, the BRAKES!! :wacko::lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwW_2OmoDExMCSU1PrUMw

capturej.png

spacerocket-scene-when-worlds-collide-19

Man on left....Dang that thing looks awful.

Man on right...Oh crap, dropped my cigarette lighter...need to light that fuse.

when-worlds.jpg

:P

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

spacerocket-scene-when-worlds-collide-19

Man on left....Dang that thing looks awful.

Man on right...Oh crap, dropped my cigarette lighter...need to light that fuse.

when-worlds.jpg

:P

irregardless, the public loved the sfx of these old science fiction technicolor extravaganzas of George Pal causing him to be dubbed the Walt Disney of science fiction.

I think it was somewhere in the late 1960's or early 1970's  that Paramount rereleased WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE as a double-feature with  WAR OF THE WORLDS.  Now that was a GREAT show!

• Like 2

OK.  The final matte painting is a complete and utter disaster.  (what were they thinking?)  We can all agree on that.   As well as "Best air I ever tasted" as one of the worse lines in moviedom....

But, there are so many other things to enjoy about this film. It's almost like the final five minutes were directed by someone else.

Otherwise, I love this thing and always have!  It's one of those films wherein we think that mankind will actually figure it all out and "do the right thing."  A rather novel concept in today's world but perhaps a hopeful thought when it was made...

I don't recall ever seeing this one before, even as a kid. Pretty good if a bit on the nuts and bolts side

with some human drama thrown in and a clunky love story. This is the type of movie that Technicolor

improves by about 10%. The religious overtones are kind of silly, but it was 1951 so what do you expect.

I was a little surprised by the absence of some Ruskie scowling and throwing sand during the UN scene. 

Felt sorry for the person who was left off the ship just because the dude who was screwing one of

the big shot's daughter got a free pass. And while John Hoyt was a creep it seems kind of mean to

keep him off the ship he paid for. Too bad he shot Sam Drucker. Who's going to run the general store

after they get to the new planet.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, overeasy said:

OK.  The final matte painting is a complete and utter disaster.  (what were they thinking?

Not to justify it, but perhaps the thinking was it was another world, so it had to look different.  In that case, I could agree with the intent, but not the result.

Dave Karger introduced the movie as a TCM premiere, but I thought for sure I had seen it on the channel at some point in the past. Anyway, I was looking forward to the "I told you so" scene but I think they left it out. The scene where Larry Keating is called back to the U.N. where they beg him for info on how they can save themselves, to which he replies it's too late. Did anyone notice the omission? I wondered if I was out of the room for those few seconds. Not having seen the film for at least a decade, another thing I watched for was whether Stuart Whitman was one of the survivors. I won't say which, but it was the other way around from how I remembered it. And was it supposed to be ironic that Bellus killed Dr. Bellows? That must have Hoyt.

• Haha 1

Didn't see any U. N. mea culpa plea last night.  Don't remember any from previous viewings.  But those were from--oh, how many years ago?  MovieCollector's invaluable list puts it down indeed as a premiere. 

When looking back on movies i.e. "When Worlds Collide", "Deep Impact", "Evacuate Earth" , "2012" do anybody really believe the remainder of man will just sit by  waiting for the end while a select few gets to live regardless if it's a ship, ark or cave?

At least "2012" place the arks in China whom can better repel advancing hordes.

These film greatly underestimate SURVIVAL MODE that kicks in when the end is near.

"Deep Impact" at the survival cave complex....a few hundred protesters.   YEAH RIGHT GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

deepimpact025.jpg

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

When looking back on movies i.e. "When Worlds Collide", "Deep Impact", "Evacuate Earth" , "2012" do anybody really believe the remainder of man will just sit by  waiting for the end while a select few gets to live regardless if it's a ship, ark or cave?

Hoyt does get some rifles in anticipation of attacks from outside.  Ironically, the danger came from the other workers!

On 2/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, NipkowDisc said:

That's some serious terraforming since the ship came to rest with a background of snow covered mountains!

watched my CD of it last nite. excellent! not so much the movie but getting it on a CD formatted properly.. my disc burns are always good. when they're all gathered in the main office in anticipation of zyra's passing, in the room with them huddled is Dr. Bronson. (Hayden Rorke) anybody else see that?