Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Hope the Academy is proud of itself, lowest rated in history with it's ferak show!

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Was the Oscar ceremony streamed on any streaming service?     I ask because all of my younger relatives do NOT purchase TV services that contain the 4 major networks.

Some just have Netflixs  and a few other steaming services that don't contain the standard T.V. networks.

If only standard over-the-air broadcasting,   of course ratings will continue to go down.

I think it was streamed on abc's service.  Not sure if it's a subscription service or a free app.  Hulu was airing Oscar content too, but as far as I could tell, they weren't streaming the Oscar ceremony--unless I missed it, because I didn't check until after the ceremony was over.   It looks like the ceremony is on there now.

I have satellite and watched the broadcast on ABC, albeit on a delay, because I DVR'd it because I was out and about. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I think it was streamed on abc's service.  Not sure if it's a subscription service or a free app.  Hulu was airing Oscar content too, but as far as I could tell, they weren't streaming the Oscar ceremony--unless I missed it, because I didn't check until after the ceremony was over.   It looks like the ceremony is on there now.

I have satellite and watched the broadcast on ABC, albeit on a delay, because I DVR'd it because I was out and about. 

AH! So in essence you watched it on FURTHER delay then, eh Speedy?

(...the joke here being that due to all the bleeps done during Eminem's performance, it was ALREADY ON a 10 second delay, ya see) ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

maybe they need a swimsuit competition.

:lol:

Those days are pretty much over, too. :ph34r:

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

As one whose apartment cut the cable FOR me (no way to rearrange the furniture), I was able to stream the ceremony legally for the first time on ABC.com, with Xfinity's blessing.

This is the first year they didn't promotionally hold the stream "Exclusively!" hostage to some mobile provider or TV-app service, although they did make sure we took notice of YouTubeTV in the ads.

A dozen failed "hip, edgy" hosts, and the Academy still hasn't figured out we tune in to watch a year of nominees we've seen...Which is why Boyhood vs. Birdman is still the lowest-rated so far.   Nobody wanted to be the guy who tuned in to see if Joker was going to get Best Picture, and even more tuned out fearing it was.   The low ratings reflect the number of people who have already seen Parasite and 1917 in actual theaters.

And remember, like our president says, if you get low TV ratings, it's shame and dishonor, and proves that the American people hate you because you deserve it.  

HUH? LOL.

21 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

By the way, it was the Oscar Nominees Lunch that was 100% plant based.

Wolfgang Puck catered the Governors Ball after awards dinner which was about 70% plant based.

:D  Sure!

And what kind of plants WERE they?  :D  :D;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

...And remember, like our president says, if you get low TV ratings, it's shame and dishonor, and proves that the American people hate you because you deserve it.  

Well, they don't call the guy an overt populist for nothin', ya know.

(...among many other things I call him on a daily basis)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Thanks for that info.   Now I wonder if any live streaming service of the Oscar ceremony "counted" towards the rating.     (not expecting an answer but if NOT it might help explain the low rating).

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for that info.   Now I wonder if any live streaming service of the Oscar ceremony "counted" towards the rating.     (not expecting an answer but if NOT it might help explain the low rating).

There were also tons of people live streaming the ceremony.  I'm sure the illegal bootlegs of the proceedings are not counted as part of the show's ratings.

The overnight ratings, which are what is quoted, are from metered households and usually is only the people watching via traditional means  (OTA, cable, satellite).  Some streaming apps have been updated to facilitate Nielsen capturing their numbers, but AFAIK, it's incomplete data.

18 hours ago, jakeem said:

Those days are pretty much over, too. :ph34r:

Hey Jakeem, are you gonna leave the forums now that awards season is over buddy?

Don't yet think the Oscars are in that awful a ratings shape to go solely online, getting close though after this last debacle  They must rethink themselves

I think the highest rated-(jakeem may know) are the l997 Academy Awards, the year of TITANIC

For the last time Jake and friends. Parasite. Deserved. To. Win. The. Oscar. For. Best. Picture. It. Was. Based. On. Merit. Not. Because. It. Was. The. Politically. Correct. Choice. Mark. Dice. And. Breitbart. And. Matt. Drudge. Are. Not. Legitimate. News. Sources.

ABC still raked in $100M for the telecast in ad revenue.  It won't go off the airwaves as long as they can continue commanding the rates they're getting from advertisers.

10 hours ago, TomJH said:

I lost interest in the Oscars when Raquel Welch stopped showing up as a presenter.

55c08d7b20b3ca8

She  was always stunning,at her best,nobody else had the same effect...

I have seen some amazing foreign movies lately, and were released back when the "Academee" stuck their nose up as those movies. Now they are into being the firsts with awards, even Obama got one for something nobody even watched. And the best actress Oscar for a movie that bombed really made sense (Judy). I hear moviegoers are still having nightmares.

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

I have seen some amazing foreign movies lately, and were released back when the "Academee" stuck their nose up as those movies. Now they are into being the firsts with awards, even Obama got one for something nobody even watched. And the best actress Oscar for a movie that bombed really made sense (Judy). I hear moviegoers are still having nightmares.

Well, only the "snowflake" moviegoers are of course.

LOL

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

What do you mean nobody watched it? It's on Netflix. You don't Netflix and chill?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jakeem said:

What do you mean nobody watched it? It's on Netflix. You don't Netflix and chill?

Well, in MM's defense here jakeem, I hear some folks find it pretty hard to ever take a break from Fox News' "fair and balanced" coverage of all the breaking events out there, ya know.

(...but then again, can you blame 'em?!) LOL

DAMN, another "correction to follow" here:

I just remembered (while LOL) that Fox News no longer uses that misnomer of a motto to describe their so-called "news coverage".

(...they must have experienced an uncharacteristic pang of conscience a while back, eh?!)

• Haha 1

Interesting to compare the oscars with the Indiewire poll:  https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/best-movies-2019-critics-survey-poll-performances-parasite-adam-driver-lupita-nyongo-1202197615/

For those who don't want to see the link Parasite won Picture, Director, Foreign Film and Screenplay in both.  For best actress Zellweger came in fourth in the IW poll, with Johansson winning #2 for Marriage Story, and the  unnominated Lupita Nyong'o (Us) and Elizabbeth Moss (Her Smell) at #1 and #3 respectively.  For best actor Phoenix was 4th, behind Driver, Banderas and the unnominated Adam Sandler at #3 for Uncut Gems.  For the supporting roles Dern won Best Supporting Actress while Pesci beat Pitt for Best Supporting Actor.  

• Thanks 1