Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Celeste Holm in My Little Chickadee?

> {quote:title=ralphnovy wrote:}{quote}

> Wow.

>

> Thanks, Dobbs, for the photos and the clip (and the info about posting pics here).

> The connection with Bradford could be quite useful in finding out "whatever happened to...." Ms. Adler. I'm curious now. I mean, as one can see from the MLC clip, she seemed to have quite a personality. It's odd that she did only two films and then "disappeared." Tragic story?

There were lots of young stars who gained weight and had to leave the business. Apparently she was a dancer in Broadway shows and then tried the movies, but never made it after she got a little chubby around the hips.

Johnny Mack Brown had the same problem. He was a handsome young star in silent films, but he became chubby and became a chubby B-film cowboy in the 1930s.

> SCSU and Dobbs:

>

> Where the hell ARE you guys such that it's "blasted hot" and you need quinine?

>

> Guyana?

Hi ralphnovy. Fred and I are just dreaming about Hedy Lamarr in White Cargo.

Oooh.

Yeah, Hedy Lamarr could bring on a need for ice and quinine.

Especially in White Cargo.

She was the second light-skinned star I "fell for" when I was young (the first was Merle Oberon).

Happy viewing.

And thanks for the help.

The problem with your theory is...

a9p8qt.jpg20070510004225!Celeste_Holm_in_Gentleman%27s_Agreement_trailer.jpg

...that the "After" photo is of a markedly younger woman than the Before," though the photos were taken thirteen years apart.

The earlier photo, in fact, looks more like Hedda Hopper, and it's far more likely it is she than Holm.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> Sounds like "Quarez" to me.

It begins with a throaty "h," almost to the point of hawking up some saliva from the very back of your tongue, with the emphasis then on the first syllable: "KHWAH-rez."

> I think the mystery is solved.

> I went back to the film and watched the scene again, a couple of times.

> At one point, W.C. Fields refers to her as a "pygmy."

> In the IMDB credits, there is a Fay Adler listed as playing "Mrs. 'Pygmy' Allen."

Have you been able to find any more Fay Adler photos? I think she worked more in the theater than in films.