Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Opinion On The Caine Mutiny (1954)

On 2/13/2020 at 8:38 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I thought the movie was great 8/10. The love story angle was a bit distracting, but once Humphrey Bogart's Captain Queeg is introduced, it is totally riveting. The strawberry and shirt tail scenes are classics and the typhoon sequence is powerful. All the performances are first rate. Van Johnson has his best performance as the conflicted mutineer Marek, Fred MacMurray is great as the gutless Keefer and Robert Francis very good as the wet behind the ears officer Keith. Jose Ferrer shows up later as the defense attorney Greenwald. 

But the most interesting thing for me was the film leaves the idea of the mutiny being justified up to the viewer. At the end Greenwald "torpedoes" Queeg on the witness stand and Marek and Keith are acquitted. Greenwald shows his disgust at the job he had to do after the trial is over. In my opinion I think Marek and Keith were correct when they relieved Queeg of his duty. The typhoon scene was what clinched it for me. Queeg seemed disoriented and did not seem to be coherent enough to give orders while the ship is imminent danger. Marek and Keith are criticized since they were not as experienced but  Keith says on the stand that they were not on the bridge. And we the viewers saw the whole thing. 

Do you think the mutiny was justified? Or what is your opinion on the film?

This is one of my favorite films of the 1950s.  I do think the mutiny was justified.  Bogart  walked away with a Best Actor Oscar nod and he deserved it.  As did Tom Tully who was nominated for Supporting Actor.  All the principals were spot on.  A sad sidebar:   Robert Francis, who Columbia was grooming for major stardom, was killed while piloting his small plane on July 31, 1955.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/14/2020 at 2:10 PM, Allhallowsday said:

That scene over and over is why I watch that movie.  Love it.

Has to be Frank Morgan's best film performance imo.   Some people seem to think all he ever did was THE WIZARD OF OZ.