Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David Guercio

Movies That Inspired Steven Spielberg And George Lucas To Make Raiders Of The Lost Ark 1981

I’ve got a few requests.  I would like to see some movies that actually inspired Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to make Raiders Of The Lost Ark sometime.  I think that would be really cool.

China 1943.

Secret Of The Incas 1954.

King Soloman’s Mines 1950.

The Naked Jungle 1954 and

Gunga Din 1939.

It’s really neat to see how directors/creators actually come up with an idea for a franchise and the outfit Charlton Heston actually wore in Secret Of The Incas and the one the star wore in Gunga Din actually both look similar to the one Harrison Ford wore as Indiana Jones.

KING SOLOMON'S MINES has aired frequently on TCM.  I've watched it 3 times on TCM over the past couple of years.  GUNGA DIN has also aired on Turner Classic.  Recently, too. 

I don't recall offhand if THE NAKED JUNGLE, CHINA and THE SECRET OF THE INCAS have aired on TCM.   

51 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I knew it! Charlton Heston WAS the first Indiana Jones!

13923b3597c4ba600caa9d5f085f3139.jpg

comparsion1.png?resize=450,227&ssl=1

The resemblance is amazing, they could be twins!

• Confused 1

I don't think TCM has ever shown SECRET OF THE INCAS '54.

s-l300.jpg

(A favorite movie because of the appearance of Yma Sumac)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, David Guercio said:

I’ve got a few requests.  I would like to see some movies that actually inspired Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to make Raiders Of The Lost Ark sometime.  I think that would be really cool.

China 1943.

Gunga Din 1939.

It’s really neat to see how directors/creators actually come up with an idea for a franchise and the outfit Charlton Heston actually wore in Secret Of The Incas and the one the star wore in Gunga Din actually both look similar to the one Harrison Ford wore as Indiana Jones.

Did the two actually confess that those movies were the inspiration?  Or are you assuming so because of many similar elements?

Sepiatone

I looked it up and all these movies were actually on the list that inspired Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to make Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 8:27 PM, David Guercio said:

I’ve got a few requests. 

China 1943.

Gunga Din 1939.

While loving TCM, I realize they can't do everything.

King Solomon's Mines & Gunga Din are shown often, it's just a matter of waiting. If the other movies you want to see aren't available on TCM, you could be proactive and try your library or source a rare DVD dealer.

I believe The Naked Jungle has aired twice on TCM, literally something like 20 years apart. So, we might get another airing in 2035.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 7:37 AM, TikiSoo said:

I don't think TCM has ever shown SECRET OF THE INCAS '54.

s-l300.jpg

(A favorite movie because of the appearance of Yma Sumac)

There's a good print available on YouTube. And, yes, there are two musical numbers by the oddly enchanting Yma Sumac. Heston's look was clearly appropriated for Indy, but Heston's character is borderline sleazy, as in the scene where he brazenly helps himself to the contents of a woman's wallet as he sees her off on the plane after their "dalliance", very un-Indylike behavior. There's even the impression that it's one of Heston's main sources of income, preying on vulnerable tourist ladies. 

You have to include Republic serials for the thrill and cliffhanger aspects of RAIDERS.