Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

May Schedule is Up! SOTM Edward G. Robinson

Not a particularly interesting month, but at least it can't be said TCM shows The Scarlett Empress too much.  And this is probably the best place to see Gaby:  A True Story.

Awesome! One of my favorite actors and celebrities.

This is Robinson's third time as Star of the Month.

He previously was honored in 1994 and in 2002.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 9.33.08 PM.png

Can't get enough of Edward G.

Still peeved though that the Academy, in their so-called infinite wisdom, never saw fit to nominate him for any one of his fine performances (particularly DOUBLE INDEMNITY, KEY LARGO and his wonderful double turn in THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING).

Like James Cagney, Robinson made any movie, no matter how dismal, worth watching.

• Like 5

I love Eddie G. so I'll have to see which films of his are featured and which I want to see.  If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend Five Star Final

It looks like there is a spotlight on women ("Wonder Women" about women like Helen Keller, Cleopatra, Marie Antoinette...) and one on Asian Americans. 

5/1

Looks like a daytime tribute to Tennessee Williams.  His stories are always delightfully depressing. 

Even though I'm not typically into alien stories, I am interested in Cocoon, just to see Don Ameche in his Oscar-winning role.

5/2 

Donald O'Connor double feature.  I've seen Singin' in the Rain a million times, but I'll probably watch it again.  But I'm interested in Francis. You can't go wrong with talking animals.

ATTN TCM PROGRAMMERS: DONALD O'CONNOR FOR SOTM OR SUTS!! 

5/5 Cinco De Mayo

A day of films taking place in Mexico

5/6

Miss Pacific Fleet.  This sounds promising: Joan Blondell and Glenda Farrell play stranded showgirls who win a beauty contest in order to win the money to make it back home.

Page Miss Glory. A Dick Powell movie I haven't seen.  Though, I think I prefer Powell post-musicals, when he was more hard-boiled. 

Night Song.  Starring Merle Oberon and Dana Andrews.  I just listened to a podcast episode about Oberon and how she bleached her skin in an effort to hide her Asian ethnicity.  I'm curious now to see her in more films.

5/8

The Man I Love. An Ida Lupino film I haven't seen. 

5/9

Edge of the City.  This Sidney Poitier film sounds good.

5/11

Varsity Show. Another Dick Powell film that I haven't seen.

5/12

Katharine Hepburn birthday tribute

Spitfire.  This sounds awful. I'd like to see it.

5/14

Eddie G's night.  I love The Whole Town's Talking and Larceny, Inc. The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse is really good too.  I wish the doc had a different last name. 

I may DVR A Slight Case of Murder.  I haven't seen that one yet.

5/15

James Mason birthday tribute

TCM Underground. Magic with Anthony Hopkins, Ann-Margret, Burgess Meredith.  This is a pretty good cast for a movie about a demonic puppet.  This sounds like something I'd watch. Ventriloquist puppets are usually pretty creepy (see Charlie McCarthy or Gabbo on The Simpsons). 

This short also sounds amazing: One Got Fat- "Children wearing monkey masks pay the price for bad bicycle safety habits in this instructional short." 

Match Your Mood!! The second best short that TCM airs.  #1 being (of course) The Wonderful World of Tupperware

5/16

The Flame and the Arrow. A Burt Lancaster film that I haven't seen.

5/18

The 1932 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  This is a great adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson story.

5/18

College musicals night.  I have tried watching Good News three times and cannot get through it.  My personal pick is Too Many Girls.  1) It's the film where Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz met.  And 2) Desi Arnaz is hot in this film.  3) Desi Arnaz and Ann Miller do a fantastic conga number in this film.  4) You can see Lucille Ball mess up the choreography in the big number at the end of the film. 5) Van Johnson is an extra in the crowd. 6) There's a credited cast member named "Tiny Person." 

I love Liza, but I wish that TCM would re-air some of the other Private Screenings episodes.

5/21 

Robert Montgomery birthday tribute

5/23

Ooh Errol Flynn double feature: Uncertain Glory and Edge of Darkness.  I've seen (and own) both of these films, but both are excellent. I especially love Uncertain Glory

5/24

Wings. I've never seen the first Best Picture winner.

5/28 

Too Late For Tears.  This is a fantastic noir starring Lizabeth Scott and Dan Duryea. 

Five Star Final. YES! Great movie.

5/30

How Sweet it Is! I think I've seen this Debbie Reynolds/James Garner movie before, but I cannot remember.

All in all, I think it looks like a pretty decent month.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It looks like there is a spotlight on women ("Wonder Women" about women like Helen Keller, Cleopatra, Marie Antoinette...) 

This May spotlight is likely inspired by the release of WONDER WOMAN 1984 that's scheduled the following month.

I'm so psyched for this movie especially Kristen Wiig as Wonder Woman's archenemy Cheetah. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

5/14

Eddie G's night.  I love The Whole Town's Talking and Larceny, Inc. The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse is really good too.  I wish the doc had a different last name. 

I may DVR A Slight Case of Murder.  I haven't seen that one yet.

I love A SLIGHT CASE OF MURDER especially Bobby Jordan as  Douglas Fairbanks Rosenbloom.  

a%20Lloyd%20Bacon%20A%20Slight%20Case%20

• Like 4

Wonder if they will still have that Chazz Palminteri commentary on EGR that they have been running for ten years now, the one that goes like “I think we take masks off”.  Time to update that one.

• Thanks 1

It's not listed as a premiere, but I personally can't remember Francis having aired on TCM before.

I don't know anything about Once to Every Woman, but any Columbia movie from the '30s not directed by Frank Capra is an extremely rare event on TCM, so I'm interested.

• Like 1

I don't know how cringe-y some of these older movies in the Asian-American actors spotlight might be, but Daughter of Shanghai, a Paramount film from the '30s with Anna May Wong as the heroine and also Philip Ahn, looks intriguing. The supporting cast includes Charles Bickford, J. Carroll Naish and Anthony Quinn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A couple more out-of-library films in the Asian-American series on the 13th that are new to me: The Crimson Kimono (Columbia, 1959) and House of Bamboo (20th Century Fox, 1955)

Two of the most famous '70s midnight movies showing back-to-back in the wee hours of the 22nd/23d, The Harder They Come and Eraserhead.

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't know how cringe-y some of these older movies in the Asian-American actors spotlight might be, but Daughter of Shanghai, a Paramount film from the '30s with Anna May Wong as the heroine and also Philip Ahn, looks intriguing. The supporting cast includes Charles Bickford, J. Carroll Naish and Anthony Quinn.

I can vouch for The Dragon Painter and Piccadilly (although considering it was made in the UK, should it be included in this series?)

The Crimson Kimono and House of Bamboo are also excellent, though violent.

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's not listed as a premiere, but I personally can't remember Francis having aired on TCM before.

I remember it airing back in 2014, that's when I made a copy of it. According to MovieCollector's database, it also aired in 2007. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like the Edward G. Robinson lineup is restricted to pretty much only the '30s and '40s, which probably won't bother almost anyone on these boards. But I continually wish when they spotlight a performer with a lengthy career that they would make some effort to at least nominally represent all sections of that career (I had the same problem with Bette Davis' month for example). Unless I missed a day, I"m not seeing Solyent GreenThe Outrage or The Cincinnati Kid (or even his cameo in Robin and the Seven Hoods).

35 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Looks like the Edward G. Robinson lineup is restricted to pretty much only the '30s and '40s, which probably won't bother almost anyone on these boards. But I continually wish when they spotlight a performer with a lengthy career that they would make some effort to at least nominally represent all sections of that career (I had the same problem with Bette Davis' month for example). Unless I missed a day, I"m not seeing Solyent GreenThe Outrage or The Cincinnati Kid (or even his cameo in Robin and the Seven Hoods).

SOYLENT GREEN and THE CINCINNATI KID are both included.

With the exception of DOUBLE INDEMNITY (a Paramount release), they've limited this month-long retrospective to his films at WB, RKO, MGM and UA.

So we're not getting things like 20th Century Fox's HOUSE OF STRANGERS (1949); Columbia's THE VIOLENT MEN (1955); or Disney's NEVER A DULL MOMENT (1968).

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, I thought I might have missed one day's programming.

Some of Robinson’s SOTM tribute overflows into the early morning the day after. 

• Thanks 1

The lineup for Edward G. Robinson fans:

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 8.41.24 AM.jpeg

thursday the 7th of may
little caesar with douglas fairbanks
tiger shark with richard arlen
the sea wolf with ida lupino
key largo with humphrey bogart
bullets or ballots with joan blondell
the little giant with mary astor
two seconds with vivienne osborne

friday the 8th of may
the hatchet man with loretta young

thursday the 14th of may
the whole town’s talking with jean arthur
a slight case of murder with jane bryan
larceny inc. with jane wyman
the amazing dr. clitterhouse with claire trevor
brother orchid with ann sothern
the man with two faces with mary astor

thursday the 21st of may
kid galahad with bette davis
smart money with james cagney
double indemnity with fred macmurray
the stranger with orson welles
confessions of a nazi spy with george sanders
illegal with nina foch

friday the 22nd of may
blackmail with ruth hussey
soylent green with charlton heston

thursday the 28th of may
our vines have tender grapes with margaret o’brien 
the woman in the window with joan bennett
scarlet street with joan bennett
five star final with aline macmahon
dr. ehrlich’s magic bullet with ruth gordon
silver dollar with bebe daniels

friday the 29th of may
the cincinnati kid with steve mcqueen

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 9:54 AM, speedracer5 said:

5/6

Night Song.  Starring Merle Oberon and Dana Andrews.  I just listened to a podcast episode about Oberon and how she bleached her skin in an effort to hide her Asian ethnicity.  I'm curious now to see her in more films. A romantic drama that is well worth seeing. Dana Andrews at his best, Merle Oberon is actually quite good, and Ethel Barrymore and Hoagy Carmichael are, no surprise, first-rate.

5/8

The Man I Love. An Ida Lupino film I haven't seen. Rather strange film, but interesting. Bruce Bennett, forgettable in some films, is surprisingly sexy in this one.

5/12

Katharine Hepburn birthday tribute

Spitfire.  This sounds awful. I'd like to see it. And awful it is! Katharine Hepburn, the very first person you'd think of to play the role of a Tennessee hillbilly!

5/16

The Flame and the Arrow. A Burt Lancaster film that I haven't seen. Not bad. Medieval setting.

5/28 

Too Late For Tears.  This is a fantastic noir starring Lizabeth Scott and Dan Duryea. Amen!

22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I agree it's weighted toward his early and middle career. I'd especially love to see Frank Capra's  A Hole in the Head (1959), in which Robinson was so believably paired with the great Thelma Ritter, a reminder of how good he could be at comedy and pathos. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DougieB said:

I agree it's weighted toward his early and middle career. I'd especially love to see Frank Capra's  A Hole in the Head (1959), in which Robinson was so believably paired with the great Thelma Ritter, a reminder of how good he could be at comedy and pathos. 

Another good film where he demonstrates equal measures of comedy and pathos is in the wartime comedy MR. WINKLE GOES TO WAR (1944), a Columbia Pictures release I had hoped would be on the schedule.

• Like 2