Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

May Schedule is Up! SOTM Edward G. Robinson

I missed Bullets or Ballots and then didn’t finish it before it left TCM another time. It really caught my attention, so that’s the one film I’m targeting. 

Edward G.-(Emmanuel Goldeberg) though a strong actor was actually a very timid little guy & got flattened by true life tough guy George Raft on the set of Manpower (l94l) he even had to have his eyelids taped OPEN WHEN FIRING A FAKE GUN

It has been said by various TCM hosts that Robinson wouldn't do a cameo in Some Like It Hot, because Raft was in it, and he disliked him so much. I never knew why. His son did the part instead. Robinson did end up doing a similar cameo in Robin and the Seven Hoods.

DR. EHRLICH'S MAGIC BULLET (1940) is airing tomorrow, the 19th of February.

Maltin gives it 3.5 stars.

17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It has been said by various TCM hosts that Robinson wouldn't do a cameo in Some Like It Hot, because Raft was in it, and he disliked him so much. I never knew why. His son did the part instead. Robinson did end up doing a similar cameo in Robin and the Seven Hoods.

On Manpower Dietrich was starting an affair with Raft,Robinson wanted Marlene as well,she was also involved with Jean Gabin there was also a rumour about a woman as well,Dietrich was always 'very busy'.Jealousy was heavy and during filming  Walsh had to stop Raft who kept beating Robinson after Raoul Walsh cut the action

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, speedracer5 said:

I love Eddie G. so I'll have to see which films of his are featured and which I want to see.  If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend Five Star Final.

5/8

The Man I Love. An Ida Lupino film I haven't seen.

5/12

Katharine Hepburn birthday tribute

Spitfire.  This sounds awful. I'd like to see it.

I adore FIVE STAR FINAL, it's one of the first TALKIES to REALLY get dialogue down, especially overlapping dialogue- and its use of operators connecting lines at the beginning is a DELIGHTFUL 1930's TROPE that I think started with either it or GRAND HOTEL.

featured.png

YOU WILL WANT A CANDLESTICK PHONE AFTER SEEING THIS MOVIE. (if you did not already, and who among us does not?)

THE MAN I LOVE is okay, it's not as down and dirty as it should be... IDA LUPINO wears a lame' dress that- according to EDDIE MULLER- was so tight, she passed out on set (true or not, i say "PRINT THE LEGEND" on that one.)

the-man-i-love-ida-lupino-1947_a-G-99201BUSINESS in the FRONT, PARTY in the BACK, IDA!

SPITFIRE is to the 1930's what TOMORROW: THE WORLD! is to the 1940's: THE NE PLUS ULTRA OF UNINTENTIONAL COMEDY and I love it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I adore FIVE STAR FINAL, it's one of the first TALKIES to REALLY get dialogue down, especially overlapping dialogue- and its use of operators connecting lines at the beginning is a DELIGHTFUL 1930's TROPE that I think started with either it or GRAND HOTEL.

featured.png

YOU WILL WANT A CANDLESTICK PHONE AFTER SEEING THIS MOVIE. (if you did not already, and who among us does not?)

THE MAN I LOVE is okay, it's not as down and dirty as it should be... IDA LUPINO wears a lame' dress that- according to EDDIE MULLER- was so tight, she passed out on set (true or not, i say "PRINT THE LEGEND" on that one.)

the-man-i-love-ida-lupino-1947_a-G-99201BUSINESS in the FRONT, PARTY in the BACK, IDA!

SPITFIRE is to the 1930's what TOMORROW: THE WORLD! is to the 1940's: THE NE PLUS ULTRA OF UNINTENTIONAL COMEDY and I love it. 

I don't have a candlestick phone, but I always wanted a rotary phone.  Unfortunately, now I do not have a landline.  I think you can get a rotary dial app for your phone, but that is hardly the same.

I never got my rotary phone,  but I do have a sweet 90s see-through  phone that lights up when you get a call--last I checked, it still works, I just don't have a landline anymore. 

I love that dress on Ida.  Who doesn't love gold lamé? 

Lol. I loved Tomorrow: The World! that movie was ridiculous.