Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudy's Girl

Happy Valentine's Day!

No photo description available.

I always send this pic to my husband on Valentine's Day. Lol.

My favorite romantic films:

1) Brief Encounter

2) Summertime

3) Casablanca

4) Moulin Rouge!

5) Dirty Dancing

6) Love Affair (1939)

7) Roman Holiday

8 ) Sabrina (1954)

9) Picnic

10) Random Harvest

11) City Lights

12) Now, Voyager

13) Trouble in Paradise

14) Beauty and the Beast (1992)

15) Pillow Talk

Then there's a whole list of my favorite movies about obsessive love.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

A thread about Valentine's Day that features jokes about pedophilia/sexual assault, incest, anti-feminism, drowning, and Harvey Weinstein, all on the first page. 

Once again, the internet lives up to its reputation.:lol:

❤️👽💩🦷🐼🥨🗿❤️

Thank you. This wasn't my intention, but I'm glad somebody said something,

• Like 1

Guys, I posted the Valentino "All I Wanna Do Is Touch You" video because I love Rudy and also for the Rudy's Girl poster who started this thread.   

I'm as cheeky and irreverent as the next person (read my posts about The Hallmark Channel on their message boards, lol)  but perhaps certain responses to it had gotten a bit too, well.....

Enjoyed reading your list, speedracer.  (now how about the ones on obsessive love, lol?)

My late mom's favorite was LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING.

I'm still shuffling and sorting out my own list.  I do  know KNIGHT WITHOUT ARMOUR (1937, Robert Donat and Marlene Dietrich) will be among the top 10.

• Like 1

My favorite movies about love gone wrong:

1) Leave Her to Heaven- this might be my #1 favorite movie about obsessive love, and it's such a gorgeous looking movie. 

2) Fatal Attraction

3) Lolita (1962)

4) Laura 

5) Angel Face

6) Splendor in the Grass

7) Double Indemnity

8 ) The Locket

9) Gun Crazy

10) Sudden Fear

LavenderBlue just recommended Play Misty For Me on another thread.  If I can get to the library by 6, I may watch this as my Valentine's night film. Lol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

1) Leave Her to Heaven- this might be my #1 favorite movie about obsessive love, and it's such a gorgeous looking movie. 

2) Fatal Attraction

3) Lolita (1962)

4) Laura 

5) Angel Face

6) Splendor in the Grass

7) Double Indemnity

8 ) The Locket

9) Gun Crazy

10) Sudden Fear

LavenderBlue just recommended Play Misty For Me on another thread.  If I can get to the library by 6, I may watch this as my Valentine's night film. Lol. 

LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN -- Cornel Wilde, what a dreamboat!  I kept shouting at him to run as fast he could from Ellen, lol.   I have a somewhat twisted take on this movie, though -- I could almost understand her.  (well, not the sociopathic parts)  She wanted to have a honeymoon and who shows up?  The whole friggin' family, including Cornel's young brother (sleeping on the other side of the wall.  What kind of colored lights could they get going with him there?)

I'd put the original 1942 CAT PEOPLE on a list about obsessive love.  Oliver was another clueless male.   Openly cavorting (albeit platonically) with passive-aggressive Alice while poor Irina was struggling with her feline issues.  

• Like 1

Here are some of my favorite romantic movies. (Not in any particular order)

1. As Good As it Gets
  2. Breakfast at Tiffany's (obviously)
  3. Roman Holiday
  4. It Happened One Night
  5. Random Harvest
  6. The Goodbye Girl
  7. Casablanca
  8. The Apartment
  9. Camille (1936)
  10. An Affair to Remember
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN -- Cornel Wilde, what a dreamboat!  I kept shouting at him to run as fast he could from Ellen, lol.   I have a somewhat twisted take on this movie, though -- I could almost understand her.  (well, not the sociopathic parts)  She wanted to have a honeymoon and who shows up?  The whole friggin' family, including Cornel's young brother (sleeping on the other side of the wall.  What kind of colored lights could they get going with him there?)

Yes! I agree with you re: understanding Ellen.  She's on a romantic honeymoon and here comes Cornel's family.  That would annoy me too--not to the point of killing the young brother, but yes I could understand her frustration. 

I can't help but see Cornel Wilde and not think of I Love Lucy.  CORNEL WILDE IS IN THE PENTHOUSE!! CORNEL WILDE! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Here are some of my favorite romantic movies. (Not in any particular order)

1. As Good As it Gets
  2. Breakfast at Tiffany's (obviously)
  3. Roman Holiday
  4. It Happened One Night
  5. Random Harvest
  6. The Goodbye Girl
  7. Casablanca
  8. The Apartment
  9. Camille (1936)
  10. An Affair to Remember

I was considering adding The Apartment to my list too, but I wasn't sure. 

I also love It Happened One Night.  My favorite parts are the fake fight between Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert ("Quit bawlin' Quit bawlin'") and Alan Hale ("YOUNG PEOPLE IN LOVE!!!"). 

• Like 2

Here is my very short starter list, in order, of favorite romantic films:

KNIGHT WITHOUT ARMOUR

I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING (1945)

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR

8 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Fatal Attraction and Play Misty for Me are good movies, but "love gone wrong" seems like an understatement. They're more like "love gone obsessively crazy." How about Unlawful Entry or Jagged Edge? A Kiss Before Dying?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Fatal Attraction and Play Misty for Me are good movies, but "love gone wrong" seems like an understatement. They're more like "love gone obsessively crazy." How about Unlawful Entry or Jagged Edge? A Kiss Before Dying?

I started with an obsessive love list but I couldn't think of many off the top of my head... so I changed it to "love gone wrong" to accommodate more films. lol. 

A Kiss Before Dying is on Noir Alley in May.  I'm interested in that film too!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes! I agree with you re: understanding Ellen.  She's on a romantic honeymoon and here comes Cornel's family.  That would annoy me too--not to the point of killing the young brother, but yes I could understand her frustration. 

I can't help but see Cornel Wilde and not think of I Love Lucy.  CORNEL WILDE IS IN THE PENTHOUSE!! CORNEL WILDE! 

But we have to admit that Gene Tierney looked very chic in those sunglasses!

Cornel was on I Love Lucy?  Wow!  You know, I don't think I've seen that episode. (and I'm an old Baby Boomer!)  I remember William Holden though, lol.  I think she also "met" Van Johnson and John Wayne.

• Like 1

Speedracer, if you haven't seen A KISS BEFORE DYING I'm sure you'll be impressed by Robert Wagner's performance.   Good film in a, how shall I say, 1950's kind of way.  And along these lines I'd also add the 1954 BLACK WIDOW.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Speedracer, if you haven't seen A KISS BEFORE DYING I'm sure you'll be impressed by Robert Wagner's performance.   Good film in a, how shall I say, 1950's kind of way.  And along these lines I'd also add the 1954 BLACK WIDOW.

Well long those lines,   both films featured Virginia Leith,   who just passed last November:

Image result for virginia leith

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

2) Fatal Attraction

3) Lolita (1962)

4) Laura 

5) Angel Face

6) Splendor in the Grass

7) Double Indemnity

8 ) The Locket

9) Gun Crazy

10) Sudden Fear

I would add 1951's A Place in the Sun.

• Like 2

James, you're right!

And of course let's not forget her most remembered movie....

(anyone want to supply a photo, lol?)

13 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

But we have to admit that Gene Tierney looked very chic in those sunglasses!

Cornel was on I Love Lucy?  Wow!  You know, I don't think I've seen that episode. (and I'm an old Baby Boomer!)  I remember William Holden though, lol.  I think she also "met" Van Johnson and John Wayne.

And... Rock Hudson, Richard Widmark, Harpo Marx, Hedda Hopper, Eve Arden, Don Loper, and the spouses of Richard Carlson (Mona), Forrest Tucker (Marilyn Johnson), Gordon MacRae (Sheila), William Holder (Brenda Marshall), Dean Martin (Jeanne) and Van Heflin (Frances Neal)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

And... Rock Hudson, Richard Widmark, Harpo Marx, Hedda Hopper, Eve Arden, Don Loper, and the spouses of Richard Carlson (Mona), Forrest Tucker (Marilyn Johnson), Gordon MacRae (Sheila), William Holder (Brenda Marshall), Dean Martin (Jeanne) and Van Heflin (Frances Neal)

Post-Hollywood she also meets Bob Hope, Charles Boyer, and Orson Welles.

• Like 1

The ones that come to mind, I'm forgetting some

1. Random Harvest

2.The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

3. Marty

4 .Sunrise

5 .Portrait of Jennie

6. The Apartment

7.  84 Charing Cross Rd

8 . Funny Face ( that last scene of Audrey and Fred on the lake )

9. The Notebook

10. The Age of Innocence ( Scorsese's version)

11. Brief Encounter

12. The Enchanted Cottage

13. An Affair To Remember

14. Falling In Love

15. I Remember Mama ( not romantic love, but love nonetheless )

16. The Goodbye Girl

• Like 2