Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Valentine's Day!

41 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Perverse love (other than VERTIGO) = GILDA

OOH I love Gilda. My only complaint is that the ending feels like a cop-out.

"I hate you so much, I would destroy myself to take you down with me." 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You and txfilmfan are true ILL aficionados!

She also meets Tennessee Ernie Ford, but he isn't playing himself... he's playing Lucy's mother's friend's college roommate's cousin's middle boy, Ernie.  But he sings in his own voice in a song in "Tennessee Ernie Hangs On." 

• Haha 1

Here are my choices for favorite romantic movies:

1. CASABLANCA

2. TITANIC

3. THE APARTMENT

4. ANNIE HALL (granted it's a romantic comedy but still an interesting look at love coming, going, coming again and then gone again).

5. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT ( again I know it's a comedy but you can just feel the romantic chemistry sizzling between Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert from the moment they met).

• Like 1

I know what you mean about that ending in GILDA.  "Let's go home"    That's it?  I don't think such a, to put it mildly, complicated relationship would have been resolved so quickly.  

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Obsessive love = VERTIGO

You can't get much more obsessed  than dressing a woman up to look like another woman you loved (though yes, I have seen the film and know the truth about "Judy" and "Madeline"). 

• Like 1
Just now, Bronxgirl48 said:

I know what you mean about that ending in GILDA.  "Let's go home"    That's it?  I don't think such a, to put it mildly, complicated relationship would have been resolved so quickly.  

It seems like the best ending would have been if they'd killed each other; or if there was some type of ending where it's uncertain whether Johnny and Gilda will make it. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

She also meets Tennessee Ernie Ford, but he isn't playing himself... he's playing Lucy's mother's friend's college roommate's cousin's middle boy, Ernie.  But he sings in his own voice in a song in "Tennessee Ernie Hangs On." 

LOL

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It seems like the best ending would have been if they'd killed each other; or if there was some type of ending where it's uncertain whether Johnny and Gilda will make it. 

Or "shut up and deal"

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Wasn't he in a couple of episodes? the first one when he visits them in NY and they can't get  rid of him, then another episode when they're on the road and they visit him and they all wind up in Jail. Another funny one is when Lucy and Ethel are hitching their way to Florida and Elsa Manchester picks them up and they think she's a mad killer and she thinks the same about them LOL

10 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Wasn't he in a couple of episodes? the first one when he visits them in NY and they can't get  of him, then another episode when they're on the road and they visit him and they all wind up in Jail. Another funny one is when Lucy and Ethel are hitching their way to Florida and Elsa Manchester picks them up and they think she's a mad killer and she thinks the same about them LOL

He's in three episodes.

-"Tennessee Ernie Visits" where we're introduced to the six degrees of separation connection he has with Ricky Ricardo.  He's driving the Ricardos insane and Lucy ends up dressing as the "wicked city woman" to try and scare him away.  It backfires and makes him want to stay more.

-"Tennessee Ernie Hangs On" the sequel to his first episode.  Tennessee Ernie is still there and eating the Ricardos out of house and home.  Lucy schemes with the Mertzes to make it seem like Ricky lost his job and they can no longer afford to board Cousin Ernie.  Tennessee Ernie ends up getting them a spot on "Millikan's Chicken Mash Hour" where they sing "Y'all Come" dressed as a hillbilly band.  They win. Ernie gets enough money for bus fare, and leaves.

-"Tennessee Bound." Enroute to CA, the Ricardos and Mertzes drive through Bent Fork, TN (Cousin Ernie's hometown) and end up getting a ticket for speeding.  While trying to pay the ticket, Lucy spouts off at the sheriff and ends up being arrested.  Cousin Ernie gets word of their visit and comes over to the police station to help bail Lucy out. 

I love the one with the hatchet murderess.  My favorite part of the entire episode is when they're eating in the car.  Elsa Lanchester has watercress sandwiches.  Lucy says "[watercress sandwiches] are fine if you like buttered grass," Ethel tries to take her sandwich, and Lucy goes: "I like buttered grass!" as she pulls the sandwich back.

Claude Atkins meets the Mertzes in Florida when they're stranded on a desert island. 

While I love the William Holden episode... my favorite celebrity episode is the Rock Hudson one.

There are so many amazing Ethel lines: "I am getting sick and tired of being called a cow!" and then this hilarious Lucy line when she gets flustered introducing herself and Ethel to Rock:

LUCY: I'm Lucy Ricardo and this is... this is Mrs...Mrs...

ETHEL: Mertz

LUCY: Mertz?!

My sister and I like to say "Mertz?!" whenever there's a situation with a weird name or an unknown name. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

He's in three episodes.

-"Tennessee Ernie Visits" where we're introduced to the six degrees of separation connection he has with Ricky Ricardo.  He's driving the Ricardos insane and Lucy ends up dressing as the "wicked city woman" to try and scare him away.  It backfires and makes him want to stay more.

-"Tennessee Ernie Hangs On" the sequel to his first episode.  Tennessee Ernie is still there and eating the Ricardos out of house and home.  Lucy schemes with the Mertzes to make it seem like Ricky lost his job and they can no longer afford to board Cousin Ernie.  Tennessee Ernie ends up getting them a spot on "Millikan's Chicken Mash Hour" where they sing "Y'all Come" dressed as a hillbilly band.  They win. Ernie gets enough money for bus fare, and leaves.

-"Tennessee Bound." Enroute to CA, the Ricardos and Mertzes drive through Bent Fork, TN (Cousin Ernie's hometown) and end up getting a ticket for speeding.  While trying to pay the ticket, Lucy spouts off at the sheriff and ends up being arrested.  Cousin Ernie gets word of their visit and comes over to the police station to help bail Lucy out. 

I love the one with the hatchet murderess.  My favorite part of the entire episode is when they're eating in the car.  Elsa Lanchester has watercress sandwiches.  Lucy says "[watercress sandwiches] are fine if you like buttered grass," Ethel tries to take her sandwich, and Lucy goes: "I like buttered grass!" as she pulls the sandwich back.

Claude Atkins meets the Mertzes in Florida when they're stranded on a desert island. 

While I love the William Holden episode... my favorite celebrity episode is the Rock Hudson one.

There are so many amazing Ethel lines: "I am getting sick and tired of being called a cow!" and then this hilarious Lucy line when she gets flustered introducing herself and Ethel to Rock:

LUCY: I'm Lucy Ricardo and this is... this is Mrs...Mrs...

ETHEL: Mertz

LUCY: Mertz?!

My sister and I like to say "Mertz?!" whenever there's a situation with a weird name or an unknown name. 

The Tennessee Bound episode also has a bit part by future producer Aaron Spelling, playing the gas station attendant.

I've always liked the Palm Springs episode.  "Would you like a piece of Rock, Mr. Candy?"

But my overall favorite is Ethel's birthday, when Lucy buys her those ridiculous hostess pants.  There are some great catty zingers in there.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

The Tennessee Bound episode also has a bit part by future producer Aaron Spelling, playing the gas station attendant.

I've always liked the Palm Springs episode.  "Would you like a piece of Rock, Mr. Candy?"

But my overall favorite is Ethel's birthday, when Lucy buys her those ridiculous hostess pants.  There are some great catty zingers in there.

Yes. Aaron Spelling. "You got here by Highway 60?! There a'int no roads!"

I love the Ethel's Birthday episode. I love the hostess pants.  I also wish we would have seen Lucy wearing the outfit she described at a future "smart dinner party."

My absolute favorite part of that episode is when they're at the play and Lucy and Ethel fight over using Fred's binoculars.  I love when Fred loudly says "I DON'T CARE" when Lucy asks Fred if she can use his binoculars.  But my absolute favorite part is the look Ethel gives Fred as she's sliding his now broken (broken by the irritated man behind Lucy and Ethel) binoculars under the seat.

• Like 1

Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin 1799-1837 was a Russian poet, playwright and novelist of the Romantic era who is considered by many to be the greatest Russian poet and founder of modern Russian literature.

Critics consider many of his works masterpieces – Pushkin himself preferred his verse novel Eugene Onegin, which he wrote over the course of his life…

In her first movie attempt director/producer Martha Fiennes sister of leading star Ralph Fiennes along with Liv Tyler, Toby Stephens, beautiful scenery, dance, dress and the sonic grace of Ludwig van Beethoven bring us the romance of “Onegin” 1999 (6.9).

A STUNNING MASTERPIECE

Image result for movie onegin

Enjoy 💔

• Like 1

And now in closing this year's Valentine's Day festivities, I bring you the greatest, real, and non-saccharine romantic ending of any movie ever made...

• Like 4
11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

No photo description available.

I always send this pic to my husband on Valentine's Day. Lol.

My favorite romantic films:

1) Brief Encounter

2) Summertime

3) Casablanca

4) Moulin Rouge!

5) Dirty Dancing

6) Love Affair (1939)

7) Roman Holiday

8 ) Sabrina (1954)

9) Picnic

10) Random Harvest

11) City Lights

12) Now, Voyager

13) Trouble in Paradise

14) Beauty and the Beast (1992)

15) Pillow Talk

Then there's a whole list of my favorite movies about obsessive love.

Here’s 25 that I love in chronological order rather than my top 25:

1. 42nd Street (1933)

2. Bringing Up Baby (1938)

3. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

4. Remember the Night (1940)

5. Sullivan’s Travels (1941)

6. Ball of Fire (1941)

7. Casablanca (1942)

8. The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek (1944)

9. Christmas in Connecticut (1946)

10. Roman Holiday (1953)

11. Lady and the Tramp (1955)

12. Some Like it Hot (1959)

13. Pillow Talk (1959)

14. The Parent Trap (1961)

15. Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)

16. A Patch of Blue (1966)

17. The Way We Were (1973)

18. Grease (1978)

19. Dirty Dancing (1987)

20. Say Anything (1989)

21. Groundhog Day (1993)

22. Heart and Souls (1993)

23. Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)

24. You’ve Got Mail (1998)

25. Brooklyn (2015)

16 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Good one! You seem like my kind of person, especially if you like Valentino and Cagney. 😊

Thank you!  I think we're kindred spirits!

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

"Made it Johnny! Top of the world!" 

Then the nightclub blows up.

LOL

Or she goes to New York and gets a job as Fred MacMurray's secretary.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dargo said:

And now in closing this year's Valentine's Day festivities, I bring you the greatest, real, and non-saccharine romantic ending of any movie ever made...

Well, DARG--- everyone here by now knows THIS is a favorite scene of mine from that movie.  And nobody displays what TRUE love is like these two!  (CRIPES, my eyes are watering even now!

Sepiatone

• Like 3
19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

OOH I love Gilda. My only complaint is that the ending feels like a cop-out.

"I hate you so much, I would destroy myself to take you down with me." 

My complaint is that after his plane crashes in the body of water, the George Macready character is seen escaping through the top hatch.  For me, it would have been more powerful not to reveal this until toward the end of the picture when he appears on the balcony.  He could have explained what happened with a flash-back showing his escape.

• Like 1