Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JamesStewartFan95

There Are Films Made After...(Gasp!)...2000

What is your favourite film/films made and released during or after the year 2000? If there was one complaint that I had about classic film fans, it would be our general refusal to appreciate the new along with the old. We want things to stay the same, which makes us rather hostile to new films, many of which can be just as great or even better than the old classics! I realize that classic film is always under attack by modern film fans, but as Rodney King once memorably said, “Can’t we all just get along?” Any films you love from 2000-Present!

Of the 17,729 movies that I've seen, 5,142 of them are from 2000 or after (Thanks to IMDb for keeping track of this information).

My favorites from within that time period are:

1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003)
  2. No Country for Old Men (2007)
  3. There Will Be Blood (2007)
  4. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood (2019)
  5. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
  6. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
  7. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
  8. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003)
  9. Children of Men (2006)
  10. The Dark Knight (2008)

I rated all of those as a 10/10. I've also seen an additional 91 movies from 2000-2019 that I rated a 9/10.

• Like 2

I love movies in general, I don't have an arbitrary cut off.  I'm basing this list on post-2000 films that I watch the most often.

In no particular order:

1 Moulin Rouge! 

2 Down With Love

3 Bring it On

4 Mean Girls

5 Little Miss Sunshine

6 Best in Show

7 Tangled

8 Under the Tuscan Sun

9 O Brother, Where Art Thou?

10 Across the Universe

• Like 2

More recent films I like include Star, In the Mood for Love, Look Who's Back, A Serbian Film, Dogville, House that Jack Built and Antichrist (any Lars Von Trier film really).

larsa_a_l.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

We want things to stay the same, which makes us rather hostile to new films,

It's interesting that I saw this today...watching Fred and Ginger on the west coast feed and wondering how many times I'd seen these...dunno.  I don't know how many times I've seen every Hitchcock, screwball comedy, early Woody Allen...but the thing is I can, and have, seen them upteen times and they still are entertaining.   As far as not wanting 'change'', technology can't change fast enough for me.  Without using all those'underground' apk's (that mystify some people) I wouldn't have watched all the new films I have,  but honestly I can't think of many films in the last ten years that I really want to see again, and that's the thing.  yes, the film I'm watching is 85 years old, and I have to wonder how many of last year's films will hold up, be considered entertaining,  by an audience, eight decades from now.   

that being said, here's 10 in no particular order that I really liked enough to see more than once

Best in Show

Gosford Park

Catch Me if You Can

Eighth Grade

Legally Blonde

Good Night and Good Luck

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

A Prairie Home Companion

Bridget Jones' Diary

Runaway Jury

• Like 1