Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Zoe Caldwell (1933-2020)

Zoe Caldwell has died aged 86. One of America's great theater actresses,  the Australian-born Ms. Caldwell played the lead in the original Broadway production of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and Master Class and was the most revered Medea of her generation.  She won Best Actress Tony Awards for each of those three plays; and Best Featured Actress for her performance in Slapstick Tragedy. She did not do much film work but appeared occasionally on television. Her husband, the producer Robert Whitehead (who was a cousin of Hume Cronyn's), predeceased her.

I worked with Zoe a few times. She was a lovely, talented woman with a great sense of humor. She had been great friends with Katharine Hepburn.

article_full@3x.jpg

Zoe Caldwell as Maria Callas in Master Class

The-Prime-of-Miss-Jean-Brodie-Playbill-0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
16 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Zoe Caldwell has died aged 86. One of America's great theater actresses,  the Australian-born Ms. Caldwell played the lead in the original Broadway production of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and Master Class and was the most revered Medea of her generation.  She won Best Actress Tony Awards for each of those three plays; and Best Featured Actress for her performance in Slapstick Tragedy. She did not do much film work but appeared often on television. Her husband, the producer Robert Whitehead (who was a cousin of Hume Cronyn's, predeceased her.

I worked with Zoe a few times. She was a lovely, talented woman with a great sense of humor. She had been great friends with Katharine Hepburn.

article_full@3x.jpg

Zoe Caldwell as Maria Callas in Master Class

The-Prime-of-Miss-Jean-Brodie-Playbill-0

Despite her lengthy career and many notable accolades and accomplishments, I only remember her as the voice of The Grand Councilwoman in the Disney animated movie Lilo and Stitch (2002). I loved her voice in the movie though!

R.I.P. Zoe! 😢