Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

How Turner Classic Movies Built a Marquee Brand by Catering to Film Fans

Turner Classic Movies, the last cable channel launched by Ted Turner as an independent media mogul, hit its silver on-air anniversary in early 2019. But the TCM brand is well positioned to enter a golden age as the tide turns in the marketplace for cable TV channels.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-turner-classic-movies-built-a-marquee-brand-by-catering-to-film-fans?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was a good article, summarizing succinctly a lot of aspects of TCM. There's probably not a lot in there for those of us with a long familiarity with the network. I guess I was vaguely aware they were planning to launch an all-streaming service. Perhaps that will be of use to the person in another thread who was wondering why they can't watch TCM on Demand if they don't have TCM on cable. There seems to be a solidified approach among the networks' reps to preserve the idea of not denying access to a movie just because it is now offensive by contemporary standards - the short they're airing on blackface between movies is saying exactly the same thing. But, as I suspected aloud on some other threads, they're unlikely to show those movies without an introduction stating as much, a sort of content warning to viewers (or maybe playing at them at 2 or 3 am). I did think it a bit disingenuous to say TCM plays The Birth of a Nation when it hasn't aired in seven years. But Gone With the Wind is unlikely to be anybody's darling in liberal Hollywood, especially since Donald Trump of all people just waxed nostalgic about it. I imagine TCM will be cautious about airing it in the future outside of 31 Days or when it has an anniversary year rolling around, unless they can place it some larger context like the depiction of African-Americans thing with Donald Bogle, as mentioned in the article.

Interesting article.  TCM is my most watched channel because it gives me content that I like regularly. I'm certainly not an exclusivist because I'm just as likely and willing to watch interesting classic era movies on other channels (Movies! for instance). Then there's my extensive collection of movies on DVD and blu-ray. TCM having a fan base in of  itself is something I don't really get.  For me, TCM serves a purpose. Outside of that purpose I have no attachment to it. 

30 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Interesting article.  TCM is my most watched channel because it gives me content that I like regularly. I'm certainly not an exclusivist because I'm just as likely and willing to watch interesting classic era movies on other channels (Movies! for instance). Then there's my extensive collection of movies on DVD and blu-ray. TCM having a fan base in of  itself is something I don't really get.  For me, TCM serves a purpose. Outside of that purpose I have no attachment to it. 

So then Artemus (and btw, welcome to the boards) tell me here. What's the "Movies!" website forum like? Been participating for awhile there too, maybe? 

Oh, wait. Maybe they haven't got one, huh.  Well, I couldn't find one on the net, anyway.

Sorry then, never mind. ;)

(...still though like I said, welcome to the boards here and where this "TCM fan base" can and will talk about the movies, yes particularly the "classic" ones, for hours upon hours on a daily basis...especially some of us old f*rts around here who have a lot of free time on our hands) LOL

40 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So then Artemus (and btw, welcome to the boards) tell me here. What's the "Movies!" website forum like? Been participating for awhile there too, maybe? 

Oh, wait. Maybe they haven't got one, huh.  Well, I couldn't find one on the net, anyway.

Sorry then, never mind. ;)

(...still though like I said, welcome to the boards here and where this "TCM fan base" can and will talk about the movies, yes particularly the "classic" ones, for hours upon hours on a daily basis...especially some of us old f*rts around here who have a lot of free time on our hands) LOL

Simply because I don't get something doesn't mean that others don't. Somebody has to be buying that wine after all. :D

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been a lurker for a while so I hope I can contribute something of substance at least occasionally.

57 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Simply because I don't get something doesn't mean that others don't. Somebody has to be buying that wine after all. :D

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been a lurker for a while so I hope I can contribute something of substance at least occasionally.

You're welcome, Artemus.

(...and just from your initial posting here, I'm sure your future contributions will be well worth reading)

7 hours ago, Artemus said:

I'm certainly not an exclusivist because I'm just as likely and willing to watch interesting classic era movies on other channels (Movies! for instance)

I'd be very willing to pay to subscribe to TCM streaming channel-it would be my only paid subscription. 

I find some great classic movies free on streaming channels like on Pluto & Tubi, often movies TCM can't get.  Can anyone recommend some other interesting free streaming channels I should check out for classic movies?

“We don’t want to deny history. We don’t want to pretend that certain movies were never made,” Tabesh says. “We want to educate.”

This was my favorite part of the article.  I hate when channels or individuals want to pretend that history (or a certain film, song, person, etc.) didn't exist because 50,60,70,80 years later, it no longer aligns with the ideals of modern society.  Let me decide what I want to see and take away from the film.  Let me choose whether to be offended or to take the opportunity to learn about why blackface (e.g.) existed.  Let me look at blackface (e.g.) and decide if I can accept it within the context of the film.  I hate it when entities or individuals think that they have the right to make decisions for everyone.  There is a lot of that right now  on social media, which has encouraged and perpetuated "cancel culture." 

I appreciate that TCM shows the films has they were  originally made, but then also generates original material, such as the race documentary mentioned in the article.  TCM uses film to explain a bigger issue: History of race in Hollywood.   I love the short documentary TCM made about blackface, which also features the Silent Sunday Night host, Jacqueline Stewart.  I would love to see that short documentary expanded upon and made into a full feature.  It was very interesting. 

If I'm watching classic movies, it's either from TCM, a DVD/Blu Ray from the library, or my personal collection.  Very rarely I may stream something from Amazon Prime.  But I despise watching commercials and try to avoid them at any cost, except if I'm willingly watching regular TV and know that  that's part of the deal.  It's different though to  watch a sitcom with commercials, than to have a stupid pharmaceutical commercial pop-in at the most inopportune time of the film.

The usual corporate bs. I give 'em a C+ for effort.