Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAKE John Wayne Movies

• 1 year later...

Watched Blue Steel on Grit last night and instantly realized that it was a dubbed voiceover for not only John Wayne but all the actors. And yes, the music is not original. Here’s how you can tell. In the 1930’s when this film was made, studios used “canned” music in virtually all the B westerns to save money. Music was not as important to the films then and used more as a filler. So if you watch most of these old westerns you’ll hear the same music in each one , particularly in any horse chase scene. If you listen to the music in this redone version you can tell the music is being played on a synthesizer which was wildly popular in the 80s when this was done. For comparison listen to the music in Blue Steel then Google and listen to the theme song to Beverly Hills Cop ( Eddie Murphy film). Same instrument. 
For the actors voices first off if you watch them as they speak , their lips are not moving at the same speed as the dubbed voice over. Many films even back then had the actors dub the speaking track because the audio outside in particular was very poor but they took great care to have the speech rhythm match the lip movement in the film. Also Americans voices have changed over time and the manner, tonality  and pitch of our voices is very different now than it was in the 80s and in the 80s it was different from the 1930s . So when you listen to the female lead speak her tone is much deeper than woman in 30s films were and more “round” as we say in the music industry. Woman in the 30s had a higher ( as in more “noble” ) affect to their tone and spoke in a much more “clipped” fashion. As for John Wayne’s dubbing , anyone who is a fan of the Duke can tell right away it’s not him. The guy doing the dubbing is close in some cases but loses it anytime he whispers  or lowers his voice in the film. The Dukes cadence in speaking is also very different from the guy and he also had a more nasal tone with an added drawl that this guy for some reason misses completely. That tone and drawl imho is what makes John Wayne’s voice so recognizable and this actor doesn’t have it.  I don’t mind the colorization and  I’ve actually seen Angel and the Bad man in color and BW  and I’ll take them either way since the Dukes voice is not dubbed in the AaBM one I’ve seen  but this Blue Steel remake is horrible and unwatchable and I don’t understand why Grit doesn’t play the original BW version instead of this one that should be allowed to follow its creators into the ash  heap of history. 

• 5 weeks later...

By altering public-domain material with computer color, synth music, and a re-recorded soundtrack, Multicom Entertainment Group can copyright these mashups as new works, and profit from them. Most of the Multicom budget goes for the color work; the altered soundtrack (a much smaller expenditure for Multicom) prevents others from simply pirating the computer-colored version and profiting from it. Take a look at the Multicom catalog; minor features from the last 30 years, animated bible stories, Hallmark-style romances. Plus a few of the peculiar faux-Duke westerns. Small cable providers are eager for product--ANY product--hence the ability of providers like Multicom to survive.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I stumbled across one of these I was APALLED! Why WHY WHY??!! would anyone do this? I've always been a fan of the original movies being so defaced here (the Monogram "Lone Star" and early Republics). As noted, sometimes the colorizing isn't bad, just unnecessary. I had seen over the years other examples of these John Wayne movies being colorized or having bad unfitting music added, but the dubbing of all the voices on these just goes too far.

The perpetrators of this deplorable butchery apparently wanted to make these old films look like new product and sell them as such.

The original black & white versions are just fine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

The first time I stumbled across one of these I was APALLED! Why WHY WHY??!! would anyone do this? I've always been a fan of the original movies being so defaced here (the Monogram "Lone Star" and early Republics). As noted, sometimes the colorizing isn't bad, just unnecessary. I had seen over the years other examples of these John Wayne movies being colorized or having bad unfitting music added, but the dubbing of all the voices on these just goes too far.

The perpetrators of this deplorable butchery apparently wanted to make these old films look like new product and sell them as such.

The original black & white versions are just fine.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that anyone could accept John Wayne as "new product". I'm really feeling my age.

36 minutes ago, DougieB said:

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that anyone could accept John Wayne as "new product". I'm really feeling my age.

As you know there are a lot of people that reject any and all black and white films.     Wayne is iconic,  especially to a certain segment of the population.    

So I could see a father with children that are teens (as well as their grandfather) wanting to expose them to Wayne films and the films being "modernized"  could help in that regard.

The proof of if doing so was a good idea or not, from the POV of those that did this,   is only based on their sales;  Did they sell more of these "new product" versions than the original one?    

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

As you know there are a lot of people that reject any and all black and white films.     Wayne is iconic,  especially to a certain segment of the population.    

So I could see a father with children that are teens (as well as their grandfather) wanting to expose them to Wayne films and the films being "modernized"  could help in that regard.

The proof of if doing so was a good idea or not, from the POV of those that did this,   is only based on their sales;  Did they sell more of these "new product" versions than the original one?    

And will this "new product" become the one that is most available (or the only version available) going forward if it's the one that sells or the only one that appeals to the anti-black-and-white audience ? The colorization and clunky music I guess I could live with, but I hate the idea of newer generations only seeing John Wayne as represented by some generic voice-over actor. That iconic drawl of his is irreplaceable.

• Like 1