Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Admittedly, I was bothered by the post, but reading everyone's comments made me laugh and realize it's best not to take one person's opinion too seriously. The poster is probably some teenager who only likes superhero movies. If they did come back, this would be their reaction...

SparklingMeagerAmericankestrel-size_rest

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Admittedly, I was bothered by the post, but reading everyone's comments made me laugh and realize it's best not to take one person's opinion too seriously. The poster is probably some teenager who only likes superhero movies. If they did come back, this would be their reaction...

I kind'a doubt this poster is nearly that young, RG. Nope, not nearly.

I'd bet, and due to past experiences around these here parts, that the poster is in fact some older set-in-their-ways type, and probably one of those folks who thinks TCM should never show any movies which were made after the fall of the studio system.

And maybe even someone who's sense of humor (and speaking of "Is everything a joke to you") not only possesses little of, but is probably also one who finds it nearly impossible to ever laugh at themselves.

(...that's my guess, anyway)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I'd bet, and due to past experiences around these here parts, that the poster is in fact some older set-in-their-ways type, and probably one of those folks who thinks TCM should never show any movies which were made after the fall of the studio system.

And maybe even someone who's sense of humor (and speaking of "Does everything have to be a joke with you") not only possesses little of, but is probably also one who finds it nearly impossible to ever laugh at themselves.

Well, knowing that is certainly a relief.  Speaking of which . . .

BlindPhonyBlueshark-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Dargo said:

And maybe even someone who's sense of humor (and speaking of "Is everything a joke to you") not only possesses little of, but is probably also one who finds it nearly impossible to ever laugh at themselves.

It's high time this criticism of the President of the Untied States stopped!

• Haha 7
21 hours ago, misinformed said:

you had one head chef that started the channel, now a half dozen interns have ruined it. tcm is 1% of what it used to be.

There's a cooking show? Who's the "chef?'

I remember the best food I've had.  It was always the result of chance finds.  In Rome in Trastevere there was a takeout pizza shop that sold dozens of different pizzas Sicilian style on sheet pans.  It was just a holeinthewall with no seats, but it was always crowded.  I know it sounds weird, but they had an eggplant pizza that was the best pizza I've ever had.  I'd get my slice, pay my lire (it was long ago), walk back along to the Tiber to cross it to my hotel past some sort of institutional building guarded by officers armed with machine-guns which was always unsettling.

I think HE thinks it was ROBERT OSBORNE who started the channel.  After all, I don't believe TED TURNER had anything to do with programming.  I don't think Bob had much to do with it either.  Perhaps making some suggestions occasionally, but not much more. 

And I see SLAYTON's point in his way off topic response too.  I've never been to Italy, but Both my wives and I liked finding out of the way "greasy spoon" type diners which often would have much better fare at more reasonable prices than the  "cookie cutter" "yup" chains, like APPLEBEE's, CHILIS, TGIF and such.  One of Alicia and I's favorite places was called CAMEO, and was just around the corner from us.  Back in the "day"( '69) the building hosted a place called BURGERLAND which boasted it as "The home of the BELLYBUSTER."   Maybe just 15 cents more that the 59 cent(at the time) WHOPPER, it did live up to the moniker.  

Sepiatone

Well, Chef WAS mentioned in the leadoff post. The idea has just been expanded, that's all. I am breathless in wait for someone to say something salient about interns.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This poster has made three threads since December, all about the same topic.

And he never posts any comments beyond the original troll-post.  I suppose they serve some useful purpose. This one gave me an excuse to complain about 31 days of Oscar, Backlot promos, and Wine promos without starting my own whiny thread. And, of course, Dargo gets another thread in which to walk his wits😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I knew this guy who knew this girl who knew this groovy chick who knew this druggie dude who knew this hippie freakshow who was an intern in a hospital in 1971 who done got hisself wasted on saline solution. 

Salient . . . saline . . . close enough.  :)

I was never an intern to a chef.  But let me tell about another time I stumbled on a great meal.  I was in Texcoco, a suburb about twenty miles east of Mexico City.  Even though it is absorbed by the megalopolis, it still retains the character of a smallish country city.  At least when I was there.  The first night in town I didn't want to eat at my hotel restaurant, so I wandered along the evening streets looking for a place.  Every once in a while people would pass me holding corn-on-the-cob.  The husks were peeled back and served as a handle, and the cobs looked coated and dusted with something.  Whatever it was, it looked good, or I was hungry.  Where did they get them?  Was it from a fair?  I wondered down the street and came to a square.  Just as I was entering, someone came around the corner of a building with a cob.  I followed back around and found a woman in a small niche with a counter, grill and table of condiments.  This was it!  She was taking cobs still in the husk out of a bucket of water and placing them on the grill.  When I ordered one she took a roasting cob off the grill and peeled back the husks.  She coated it with crema (a Mexican sour cream), rolled it in crumbled queso, and dusted it with chili powder.  I don't know if it was her invention or it was a local food, but it was the best corn I ever ate.