Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gone With The Wind (1939) Surprising And Shocking Moments

I've long thought that it would make sense to divide the award into a Historical Costume category and a Contemporary Fashion category.  The Emmy Awards do this.

Didn't Edith Head win primarily for what are contemporary garments, until the category was taken over (winner-wise) by historical recreations?

Just now, Roy Cronin said:

I've long thought that it would make sense to divide the award into a Historical Costume category and a Contemporary Fashion category.  The Emmy Awards do this.

Didn't Edith Head win primarily for what are contemporary garments, until the category was taken over (winner-wise) by historical recreations?

if we really get into the twisted history of THE COSTUME DESIGN OSCAR, we will definitely derail the thread.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'M STILL MAD FUNNY GIRL WAS NOT NOMINATED!!!!!

PS- there i go. right off the ****** tracks.

LOL.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HAMLET, JOAN OF ARC, THE HEIRESS  and ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN were the winners in the first 2 years of the award

Yes, the YELLOW ones! :D

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

My first (and only) theater viewing was the 67(?) rerelease. I read the book somewhat later. Due to length the film cut and condensed storylines. I think Scarlett had at least one other child, perhaps two with Charles Hamilton. Originally Scarlett was to be named PANSY O'HARA. Glad she dropped that idea.

Scarlett had a child by each husband = three.  As with most books, there is way too much in them for the movies, even a long movie.   

The first time I read GWTW was in high school for a book report for American History.  Guess only in the Deep South could you do that.  Had to be on  over 1,000 pages of book(s).  I borrowed my mother's edition that had been printed in the mid-40's and it was the full text, but only about 600+ pages the way it was printed.  Other people used newer versions of GWTW that were over 1,000 pages.  I had to do two books to their one.

How could newer versions have MORE PAGES? WTH?  Did the older ones have smaller print?

I thought there was more than one other child, but could not remember who all the fathers were. So she had a child with Kennedy too?

30 minutes ago, Hibi said:

How could newer versions have MORE PAGES? WTH?  Did the older ones have smaller print?

I thought there was more than one other child, but could not remember who all the fathers were. So she had a child with Kennedy too?

Smaller print and different layout.   Same exact content.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

When Funny Girl was airing at the beginning of February, I had to correct myself because it wasn't nominated for costumes, which seems very strange... The films in the category that year were Romeo and Juliet (obvious winner), Lion in Winter (again expected nominee), Star! (likely for Julie Andrews' huge wardrobe, the biggest ever for a star up to that point), Oliver! (a bit strange since most were rags in that film), and Planet of the Apes (where there was very little material at all just long capes for the apes and ever shrinking amounts of clothing for the humans)

It's time to haul out that costume design dance show from the 41st oscars again.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Scarlett had a child by each husband = three.  As with most books, there is way too much in them for the movies, even a long movie.   

The first time I read GWTW was in high school for a book report for American History.  Guess only in the Deep South could you do that.  Had to be on  over 1,000 pages of book(s).  I borrowed my mother's edition that had been printed in the mid-40's and it was the full text, but only about 600+ pages the way it was printed.  Other people used newer versions of GWTW that were over 1,000 pages.  I had to do two books to their one.

I would have been looking for it on Coles Notes.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

While we're on the subject, I've always been ticked Breakfast at Tiffany's didnt get a Costume Design Oscar nomination! That iconic black dress! JESUS.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

I would have been looking for it on Coles Notes.

In 1964 or so, there were no Cliff's or Cole's Notes.  Course I could have based it on the movie, but I had character (back then).

43 minutes ago, TheCid said:

In 1964 or so, there were no Cliff's or Cole's Notes.  Course I could have based it on the movie, but I had character (back then).

I remember I tried this in my high school English class with "The Bridges at Toko-Ri". Didn't fool the teacher one bit.

This of course would be before I'd come to know that movie scripts could be a departure from the novels they're based on.

(...and btw, as you can now tell and contrary to you Cid, I didn't have any character back then either) ;) 

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Hibi said:

While we're on the subject, I've always been ticked Breakfast at Tiffany's didnt get a Costume Design Oscar nomination! That iconic black dress!

The nominations that year were West Side Story (it won), Babes in Toyland, Back Street, Flower Drum Song, and Pocketfull of Miracles.