Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gone With The Wind (1939) Surprising And Shocking Moments

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

It's time to haul out that costume design dance show from the 41st oscars again.

GOD BLESS YOU FOR THIS. 
I was just thinking of it the other day. I really wish the COSTUME NOMINEE DANCE PARTY had become a long-standing tradition with the Academy. Would have been really interesting to have seen a bunch of dancers in nominated designs from THE SWARM try and do DISCO MOVES as a bunch of killer bees swarm around them.

• Haha 2
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

GOD BLESS YOU FOR THIS. 
I was just thinking of it the other day. I really wish the COSTUME NOMINEE DANCE PARTY had become a long-standing tradition with the Academy. Would have been really interesting to have seen a bunch of dancers in nominated designs from THE SWARM try and do DISCO MOVES as a bunch of killer bees swarm around them.

At the time I had even shared it on my Facebook page, because I found it to be a laugh riot.  It would have been fun to see it coninue in a way. I am now picturing Driving Miss Daisy and the moonwalk.... Fun times.

8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

At the time I had even shared it on my Facebook page, because I found it to be a laugh riot.  It would have been fun to see it coninue in a way. I am now picturing Driving Miss Daisy and the moonwalk.... Fun times.

There actually WAS an Oscar show dance number in 1989. It was choreographed by Paula Abdul and used look-alikes for Miss Daisy and Hoke. I seem to recall reading in INSIDE OSCAR that the Miss Daisy dancer actually did a split in the Hoke dancers  face.

• Haha 1

What was so great about West Side Story's costumes? I wouldn't have even given it a nomination. Another example of nomination overload........

16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

When Funny Girl was airing at the beginning of February, I had to correct myself because it wasn't nominated for costumes, which seems very strange... The films in the category that year were Romeo and Juliet (obvious winner), Lion in Winter (again expected nominee), Star! (likely for Julie Andrews' huge wardrobe, the biggest ever for a star up to that point), Oliver! (a bit strange since most were rags in that film), and Planet of the Apes (where there was very little material at all just long capes for the apes and ever shrinking amounts of clothing for the humans)

It's time to haul out that costume design dance show from the 41st oscars again.

What was so great about the Lion in Winter costumes???  Burlap  looking robes that they NEVER change! Funny Girl deserved it over that. Could say the same about Oliver too, though at least there was some variety there....

• Like 1
13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

There actually WAS an Oscar show dance number in 1989. It was choreographed by Paula Abdul and used look-alikes for Miss Daisy and Hoke. I seem to recall reading in INSIDE OSCAR that the Miss Daisy dancer actually did a split in the Hoke dancers  face.

And they wonder why the Oscar shows are so long? 10 minutes for a costume award.........

If the category existed and we assume GWTW was the winner and assuming just one category, what would the other nominees have been?

My list:

Wizard of Oz

The Women (nod to contemporary fashion )

Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

Goodbye Mr. Chips

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

If the category existed and we assume GWTW was the winner and assuming just one category, what would the other nominees have been?

My list:

Wizard of Oz

Goodbye Mr. Chips

I agree with those, it's possible there would have been separate color and B&W costume awards as they would later and already separate ones for cinematography.

GWTW won the color cinematography award, which I think was well deserved. This was the competition that year:

Drums Along The Mohawk

Four Feathers

The Mikado

The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex

The Wizard Of Oz

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

My list:

Wizard of Oz

Goodbye Mr. Chips

THE OLD MAID, WUTHERING HEIGHTS and maybe JUAREZ too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

What was so great about the Lion in Winter costumes???  Burlap  looking robes that they NEVER change! Funny Girl deserved it over that. Could say the same about Oliver too, though at least there was some variety there....

giphy.gifI KNOW, RIGHT??

FUNNY GIRL made cap sleeves and empire waists and RUBBER ******* GRAPES look GOOD!!!!!!!

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

5 Lorna 5!  Rules are you can only choose 5!

WELL, BACK THEN there were usually 10+ nominees in the technical categories (like cinematography and score and bw/color interior design)- in fact, each studio submitted ONE film for immediate nomination.

plus i was just speculating on what could get nominated.

edit- for example, this was the BEST SET DESIGN list of nominees from that year (GWTW won)

Gone with the Wind Lyle R. Wheeler
Beau Geste Hans Dreier and Robert Odell
Captain Fury Charles D. Hall
First Love Jack Otterson and Martin Obzina
Love Affair Van Nest Polglase and Alfred Herman
Man of Conquest John Victor Mackay
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Lionel Banks
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex Anton Grot
The Rains Came William S. Darling and George Dudley
Stagecoach Alexander Toluboff
The Wizard of Oz Cedric Gibbons and William A. Horning
Wuthering Heights James Basevi
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

giphy.gifI KNOW, RIGHT??

FUNNY GIRL made cap sleeves and empire waists and RUBBER ******* GRAPES look GOOD!!!!!!!

Well, if I myself was to nominate 1968 films for costumes I'd pick Romeo and Juliet, Funny Girl, Lion in Winter, Shoes of the Fisherman, and Isadora. A Flea in Her Ear, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Star could also vie for this.....

27 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Well, if I myself was to nominate 1968 films for costumes I'd pick Romeo and Juliet, Funny Girl, Lion in Winter, Shoes of the Fisherman, and Isadora. A Flea in Her Ear, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Star could also vie for this.....

DO WHAT NOW? I have never HEARD of THAT ONE!

31 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

PLANET OF THE APES had some cool costumes, also someone once told me on these boards that 2001 not getting a costume design nod was THE Travesty of 1968 because the ape suits at the very beginning were actually full costumes. (they made a damn good point)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DO WHAT NOW? I have never HEARD of THAT ONE!

A Flea in Her Ear was an awkwardly titled farce with lots of slamming doors and breakneck pacing. Kind of like a manic spin on a bedroom farce, in other works kind of suggestive but mostly innocent. The movie isn't an all-timer but the costumes are handsome and the cast (Rex Harrison, Rosemary Harris, Louis Jourdan, Rachel Roberts) seems to be having fun.

MV5BMTJkNmY0YmMtM2RlNS00Y2FkLWIxMTAtMGVl

a-flea-in-her-ear-1968-shutterstock-edit

-2993937995452953363.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

What was so great about West Side Story's costumes? I wouldn't have even given it a nomination. Another example of nomination overload........

I only saw West Side Story once. Its costumes have their moments..... but even of the ones nominated, I would go with Flower Drum Song.....