Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gone With The Wind (1939) Surprising And Shocking Moments

this thread had fallen way down on page 2, so i don't feel guilty about this.

swarm25ii0.1466.jpg

ABOVE, a sampling of some of THE OSCAR NOMINATED COSTUMES FROM THE SWARM (1978), MR. CAINE in wide-lapel sporting jacket by ELEGANZA. GIANT BEE in headpiece and body suit by GIVENCHY por BEES.

• Haha 3

What about Special Effects?  Gone With The Wind was nominated but lost to The Rains Came. 

These are the other nominees that year:

Only Angels Have Wings

The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex

Topper Takes A Trip

Union Pacific

The Wizard Of Oz

17 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

What about Special Effects?  Gone With The Wind was nominated but lost to The Rains Came. 

Only Angels Have Wings

Topper Takes A Trip

Union Pacific

The Wizard Of Oz

Don't know if would be considered a special effect, but the scene in the railroad yard in Atlanta will the massive numbers of wounded lying on the ground got an interesting comment from Margaret Mitchell's husband at the movie premier in Atlanta.  He said that if the Confederacy had had that many soldiers, they could have won the war.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Only Angels Have Wings

Topper Takes A Trip

Union Pacific

The Wizard Of Oz

The special effects in THE RAINS CAME are REALLY GOOD THOUGH, and are throughout the film (whereas GWTW largely has that ONE BIG SCENE.)

Two big scenes----

That railroad yard and the burning of Atlanta.  But it was my understanding that a fire broke out on one of the backlots, and producers let it burn while taking advantage of it by having tow staff members in costume ride through and past different parts and filming them then later cutting it into the final film footage.  You'll notice that the huge gates from Skull Island in KING KONG were in Atlanta?  ;) 

Sepiatone

one of my favorite bits of ODDBALL GWTW TRIVIA is that in the ESTABLISHING SHOT for TWELVE OAKS the DAY OF THE BBQ, when the carriages PASS THROUGH THE TWO ENTRY POSTS OF THE GATE, a guy on a horse AND ONE OF THE CARRIAGES BECOME TRANSLUSCENT AND VANISHES FOR A SECOND!)

It's neat and adds a sort of "ghostly" hint to the proceedings...

IT HAPPENS IN THE FIRST 10-15 SECONDS OF THIS CLIP

On 2/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'M STILL MAD FUNNY GIRL WAS NOT NOMINATED!!!!!

On 2/27/2020 at 3:33 PM, CinemaInternational said:

When Funny Girl was airing at the beginning of February, I had to correct myself because it wasn't nominated for costumes, which seems very strange... The films in the category that year were Romeo and Juliet (obvious winner), Lion in Winter (again expected nominee), Star! (likely for Julie Andrews' huge wardrobe, the biggest ever for a star up to that point), Oliver! (a bit strange since most were rags in that film), and Planet of the Apes (where there was very little material at all just long capes for the apes and ever shrinking amounts of clothing for the humans)

On 2/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, Hibi said:

What was so great about the Lion in Winter costumes???  Burlap  looking robes that they NEVER change! Funny Girl deserved it over that

Yes, yes and yes. (haha the burlap looking robes in TLIW)

516a67fc64043e9c2530bf49ff68297d.jpg

• Thanks 2
On 2/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

swarm25ii0.1466.jpg

ABOVE, a sampling of some of THE OSCAR NOMINATED COSTUMES FROM THE SWARM (1978), MR. CAINE in wide-lapel sporting jacket by ELEGANZA. GIANT BEE in headpiece and body suit by GIVENCHY por BEES.

I saw that was on TCM yesterday. I didn't really watch it, but I poked in for just a few minutes and saw Olivia De Havilland seeing the fatalities on the school playground. It turned up in the On Demand section on the TV so I was curious and watched the hosted intro. I never thought about it until Dave Karger mentioned it, but this actually was Olivia's return to her old stomping grounds for the first time in 35 years. Incidentally it was released the same year Jack Warner died.

swarm25ii0.1466.jpg

I found this on another site before, but this was the original costume shortlist of 10 the year The Swarm was Done. the ones that were nominated are in bold. The Cheap Detective, Movie Movie, and The Green Room were three other 1978 releases that had good costumes.

COSTUME DESIGN
AUTUMN SONATA, Inger Pehrsson
THE BIG FIX, Edith Head
CARAVANS, Renie Conley
DAYS OF HEAVEN, Patricia Norris
DEATH ON THE NILE, Anthony Powell (this film Won)
GOIN SOUTH, William Ware Theiss
GREASE, Albert Wolsky
HOUSE CALLS, Burton Miller
THE SWARM, Paul Zastupnevich
THE WIZ, Tony Walton

3 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes, yes and yes. (haha the burlap looking robes in TLIW)

516a67fc64043e9c2530bf49ff68297d.jpg

So it was one of the five runners up in the category. Made the shortlist at least.....

COSTUME DESIGN
FUNNY GIRL, Irene Sharaff and Howard Shoup
GREAT CATHERINE, Margaret Furse
THE LION IN WINTER, Margaret Furse
OLIVER!, Phyllis Dalton
THE ONE AND ONLY, GENUINE, ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND, Bill Thomas
PLANET OF THE APES, Morton Haack
ROMEO AND JULIET, Danilo Donati
THE SEA GULL, Tony Walton
STAR!, Donald Brooks
WAR AND PEACE, Mikhail Chikovani, V. Vavra and Nadezhda Buzina

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ONE OF THE CARRIAGES BECOME TRANSLUSCENT AND VANISHES FOR A SECOND!)

Haha, I'd count that as a "special effect", wonder why they had to shoot the action separately & insert it into the background?

14 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Haha, I'd count that as a "special effect", wonder why they had to shoot the action separately & insert it into the background?

I think the image of “Twelve Oaks” was a matte painting...Why that would cause the vanishing efffect, I do not know. I saw it mentioned in a documentary one time and it explained the reason for the “ghost” effect, but (Not being a person with a lot of technical know-how) it went over my head. (Something to do with blending the two shots together)

13 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I found this on another site before, but this was the original costume shortlist of 10 the year The Swarm was Done. the ones that were nominated are in bold. The Cheap Detective, Movie Movie, and The Green Room were three other 1978 releases that had good costumes.

COSTUME DESIGN
AUTUMN SONATA, Inger Pehrsson
THE BIG FIX, Edith Head
CARAVANS, Renie Conley
DAYS OF HEAVEN, Patricia Norris
DEATH ON THE NILE, Anthony Powell (this film Won)
GOIN SOUTH, William Ware Theiss
GREASE, Albert Wolsky
HOUSE CALLS, Burton Miller
THE SWARM, Paul Zastupnevich
THE WIZ, Tony Walton

I had no idea such info existed!!!

what is this site?

I was pretty stunned by this info as well. I know the announcement of the shortlist in advance in certain categories has become a thing in just the last couple of years, but the idea that this information is publicly available for past years was completely unknown to me. If you know where we can learn more, please share.

22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Two big scenes----

That railroad yard and the burning of Atlanta.  But it was my understanding that a fire broke out on one of the backlots, and producers let it burn while taking advantage of it by having tow staff members in costume ride through and past different parts and filming them then later cutting it into the final film footage.  You'll notice that the huge gates from Skull Island in KING KONG were in Atlanta?  ;) 

Sepiatone

I have heard the version in the video before and believe it is correct.  Would seem to be very difficult to get the cast, crew, equipment, etc. together while a fire was raging.  Also a spontaneous fire would have needed to have fire departments respond to put it out since it was uncontrolled.  Vivian Leigh had not even been cast when the scenes were filmed.  During the scenes where she and Gable were riding through fire and her face was not visible a stunt man, Yakima Canutt, was in the carriage.

• Thanks 1
On 2/28/2020 at 2:46 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I only saw West Side Story once. Its costumes have their moments..... but even of the ones nominated, I would go with Flower Drum Song.....

Yeah, the women wore some colorful dresses in a few dance numbers. Big deal! (WSS).

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:14 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

And Hattie McDaniel's Mammy character was one slave that wasn't afraid to get mouthy with her masters!

Image result for hattie mcdaniel gone with the wind images

I loved Hattie McDaniel in this here, because as you say, she wasn't shy from telling Scarlett how it is or should be (not that Scarlett listened to her advice anyway).

I don't care what the politically crowd says, GONE WITH THE WIND remains IMO a classic movie for all time.

There is only one Rhett Butler and that is Clark Gable (forgetting that monsterous TV sequel that will never be an equal to the original film). I always thought Scarlett was a fool for not realizing sooner than she did (and when it was too late too) that they were soulmates, that he was really the only one true man who really knew and understood her.  She really could be a spoiled twit at times.

I realized though that Scarlett could be selfless as well as selfish and when it came to Tara she stood her ground. So she wasn't without her redeeming virtues.

The ending is really downbeat.....Bonnie is dead, Melanie dies, Rhett leaves Scarlett for good....but still you can always count on Scarlett to keep on no matter what, another admirable trait.

Will always love this movie no matter what.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I saw that was on TCM yesterday. I didn't really watch it, but I poked in for just a few minutes and saw Olivia De Havilland seeing the fatalities on the school playground. It turned up in the On Demand section on the TV so I was curious and watched the hosted intro. I never thought about it until Dave Karger mentioned it, but this actually was Olivia's return to her old stomping grounds for the first time in 35 years. Incidentally it was released the same year Jack Warner died.

Maybe he saw the film. I watched it  for the first time. GODAWFUL. Couldn't make it to the end! LOL

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

what is this site?

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I was pretty stunned by this info as well. I know the announcement of the shortlist in advance in certain categories has become a thing in just the last couple of years, but the idea that this information is publicly available for past years was completely unknown to me. If you know where we can learn more, please share.

I can share more shortlists. Somebody was able to dig up many of the shortlists for the technical categories [cinematography, art decoration, costume design, editing, score, song, sound] between 1949 and 1979. So almost all of the failed nominations from those years (years that I'm most intrigued by and also the ones I presume there would be the most interest in here) are still on the records. The academy did away with these in most categories in the 80s, and what little they have from that decade is often incomplete (although it is fascinating as to what was in contention the year they decided not to hand out the makeup category) The 90s are often incomplete too, but it becomes more complete within the last few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

what is this site?

Sorry to requote, but I am going to be sharing them over the next few days in a new thread. So far, 1949, 1950, and 1951 are up.

swarm25ii0.1466.jpg

ROFL!!! Now I'm going to have nightmares! Think money changed hands somewhere to get this nomination.....