Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gone With The Wind (1939) Surprising And Shocking Moments

27 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I'm sure a person of Scarlett's intelligence and deviousness would have found a way to turn a legal buck,

without having to marry a wealthy old codger (okay he was only a middle aged codger, but old codger is

funnier.) She could have rented the remaining slaves out as day labor and maybe done the same with her

sisters. She would have led a less glamorous life, but she could have done okay. In some aspects the movie is

a period piece, in others it's a rather over the top melodrama, a sometimes entertaining one at that.

Been a while since I've seen it, but didn't she own/run a lumber mill/yard

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

By 'middle age codger' do you mean  Frank Kennedy?   (fiancé of Scarlett's younger sister?).    I assume YES;

I have always wondered if the book provides more details about why Scarlett had to marry him in order to pay those taxes on Tara.    Say Frank had gone ahead and married Suellen.   Wouldn't he had helped the family?   E.g.  paid off the taxes,   provided jobs to family members etc....     Ok,  he might want rights to some of Tara,   but I assume he got those anyhow when he married Scarlett (and those rights went back to Scarlett and the O'Hara family only because Frank died).

I.e.  That point of:  if Scarlett wouldn't have married Frank Kennedy,  the O'Hara family would have lost Tara and been out on the street,  is therefor bogus.

Yes, Frank Kennedy. He seemed an obliging enough gent to help the O'Hara family, fellow Irish-Americans

and the family of his fiancee. Of course if he had married Suellen that would have put Scarlett a few rungs

down the ladder of power, which was something she couldn't tolerate. And Suellen might have wanted to

give Scarlett a few lessons in humility. 

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Been a while since I've seen it, but didn't she own/run a lumber mill/yard

Yes, as the blog you posted noted, she did start a sawmill/lumber business before Frank

Kennedy died. Maybe she could have named her growing business empire Fiddledeedee, Inc. 

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

By 'middle age codger' do you mean  Frank Kennedy?   (fiancé of Scarlett's younger sister?).    I assume YES;

I have always wondered if the book provides more details about why Scarlett had to marry him in order to pay those taxes on Tara.    Say Frank had gone ahead and married Suellen.   Wouldn't he had helped the family?   E.g.  paid off the taxes,   provided jobs to family members etc....     Ok,  he might want rights to some of Tara,   but I assume he got those anyhow when he married Scarlett (and those rights went back to Scarlett and the O'Hara family only because Frank died).

I.e.  That point of:  if Scarlett wouldn't have married Frank Kennedy,  the O'Hara family would have lost Tara and been out on the street,  is therefor bogus.

No, it is not bogus.   It was clear in the book and I believe implied fairly well in the movie that Scarlett knew that Suellen would NOT take care of the O'Hara family, Tara or even the slaves at Tara.  She knew her sister.

So, it was up to Scarlett to take care of the family, Tara and the slaves as it had been since the war ended.

• Thanks 1
On 2/25/2020 at 11:04 AM, Sepiatone said:

I guess what bothers me the most is comments like that.

The book OR movie doesn't "romanticize" the Antebellum South any more than it "legitimizes" slavery( and yes, I've read that complaint somewhere before...)  but merely displays the way of life of southern gentry before the civil war, and what's become of it in the wake.   Actually IMHO, it makes the Antebellum South look more laughable than "romantic".  :D   I can't imagine holding any esteem or pride in a "heritage" that was so clueless and self absorbed. 

Sepiatone

I was reading back through this thread and I’ll take back my comment that the antebellum south is romanticized. It definitely wasn’t. In fact, Rhett points out to the gathered crowd of men early in the story that they’re ill equipped to deal with what is about to hit them. A lot of bad decisions (Of the characters) happened as a result. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I am reposting this as my first reply (now corrected) was totally backwards.  I left out the important NOT.

No, it is not bogus.   It was clear in the book and I believe implied fairly well in the movie that Scarlett knew that Suellen would NOT take care of the O'Hara family, Tara or even the slaves at Tara.  She knew her sister.

So, it was up to Scarlett to take care of the family, Tara and the slaves as it had been since the war ended.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

I was reading back through this thread and I’ll take back my comment that the antebellum south is romanticized. It definitely wasn’t. In fact, Rhett points out to the gathered crowd of men early in the story that they’re ill equipped to deal with what is about to hit them. A lot of bad decisions (Of the characters) happened as a result. 

Yep Helen, and I brought this very thing AND that very scene up just the other day when I posted a rebuttal to James and after he accused Rhett Butler of being "insecure"!

(...guess maybe you missed that...but then again, it seems a whole LOT of people evidently missed it 'cause I got nary a response to it)