Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cigarjoe

My TCM Routine

Especially during the 31 Days of mostly only the AA winners we got in the "vault." Anybody got a picture of that BTW? 

Anyway I get home, change clothes,  get dinner heating up, connect my phone to the laptop set up to check and manage various things, and put TCM sometimes just whatever is live or on as background noise, the new radio that you can watch if something interesting happens. . If it's something I really don't want to watch. I'll put on something from TCM On Demand that I like. Then it's like having an old friend over for a few hours. After when I want to relax and actually want to watch a film, I'll check through the whole On Demand list to see if there's something to catch my interest. If not there this is where my TCM routine ends and  I'll cast something on Youtube, or Amazon Prime, or on other movie sites, or watch a DVD. 

What's yours?

• Like 2

over the last month, I've mostly resorted to DVDs, Amazon Prime (which has a lovely new influx of 60s and 70s UA titles), VHS tapes, and a little bit of TCM on demand. I also utilized Netflix briefly, and watched a thing or two on The Criterion Channel, plus one on HBO. Can't wait until there is more variety in a few days.

• Like 2

When I turn the tube off at night, I change back to TCM if I'm somewhere else.  If I walk away from the TV, I leave TCM on for background noise.  When I turn the tube on in the morning it should be on TCM... if it isn't I go to TCM. 

• Like 2

At the beginning of the week, I peruse the schedule on tcm.com, then I use the My Dish app on my phone to search for the movies I want to watch, and I schedule it to record on my DVR.  Then in the evenings, I'll watch one of my recordings.  Lately, however, I've been watching Watch TCM during the day while I'm on my laptop working.  I also have a large stack of DVDs to get through that I've borrowed from the library, and we've also been renting from Red Box to catch up on the 2019 Oscar nominees. 

Occasionally, I'll look at the Dish guide to see what's on TCM and I may watch it if something good is on.  I watched Casablanca, Key Largo, and Written on the Wind live a couple weekends ago. I may put something on TCM On Demand as background noise, but I also tend to use Hulu for that purpose. 

The only thing that I'm consistent with however, is that I always record Noir Alley.  I try to watch it when it's live at 9pm, but at the very least, I've recorded it.

• Like 1

I reckon I watch TCM the least during the "31 Days Of Oscar" month.  That's not to say I don't watch TCM at all during February, but with a lesser variety of movies that are airing over the course of the month I'm more inclined to watch a movie from my video stash. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I reckon I watch TCM the least during the "31 Days Of Oscar" month.  That's not to say I don't watch TCM at all during February, but with a lesser variety of movies that are airing over the course of the month I'm more inclined to watch a movie from my video stash. 

They've had some interesting movies - per chance - like  81/2, and THE SPECIAL DAY - but also one film I won't look at again, gorgeous as the first half is - TWO WOMEN

I often have the channel on for background but not for long periods. I've only watched a handful of films during Oscar month. I mostly read or watch other stations. My cable doesn't  have Demand and I don't have much room on the DVR to record films (you'd think I'd watch more films to make room, but I don't.......)

I don't mind Oscar month that much. I like to watch films I haven't seen in a while and the rare movie I

haven't seen before. Night Must Fall was, for whatever reason, better than I remembered it. I never

have the TV on in the background. If there isn't anything I want to watch I just turn it off and do

something else. I only look at the schedule a day or two ahead of time. I like to be surprised.

Very rarely, if ever, do I watch anything live on TCM. I DVR what looks interesting and then watch it later. That gives me the pleasure of fast forwarding through the talking head intros (when applicable). I try to watch a movie everyday. Some days I have just enough time for an hour long B film, but other days I can watch longer features with period shorts and cartoons. I also frequently pull from my DVD/blu-ray collection, and I peruse youtube from time to time.  

During prime time (and after Jeopardy!) and which during the weekdays is primarily the only time I have the television on (weekends a little more), TCM is usually my first fall back alternative for television viewing and unless I've earlier discovered  some new-to-me old film and/or special programing coming up on TCM which I might find of interest, and if at first I find there's nothing showing of interest to me on the major networks (including PBS). This happens approximately 50% of the time, and seemingly at an increasing rate of late. 

If I then find TCM is showing a film that I've already watched many times in the past(except The Best Years of Our Lives, The Apartment, Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca and a few others...love those) and/or might have seen before but had earlier found it just okay, I will then channel surf first to HGTV, and then ESPN.

(...that's pretty much it, I guess)

• Like 1

I have no "routine" for watching TCM.   At various times throughout the day I'll check my cable service's "guide" to check out what's coming up through the day, and on other occasions to remind me(the old memory not what it used to be).  If nothing that interests me is on schedule, I'll try to find something else, or put on a CD or maybe a DVD or tape I haven't seen in a while.  

Right now, I'll soon be getting ready( as it's currently 11:14 am EST) to go visit my sister in law, who a month ago suffered a severe trauma to her neck from a fall down the last 1/3 of her staircase that goes up to the bedrooms in her house, and at age 83 is taking a long time to show any improvement from all the PT she's been going through.   So, not much TCM viewing(if any) until I get home late this afternoon ('bout 4 or 5 pm) 

Sepiatone

This thread strikes me as a bit similar to one speedracer started back in December.  But they're slightly different, so maybe I'll post on both of them.

I don't really have a TCM "routine" as such.  I used to be a lot more organized about planning around TCM.  Years ago -- I'm talking mid-2000s -- when we still got a television schedule included in our Saturday paper (hey, I said it was a long time ago !), I'd peruse it thoroughly, at least, the TCM section. I'd actually go over it with a highlighter and mark every movie I was interested in viewing.  Of course I didn't see all, or even most, of the ones I'd highlighted.  But it was kind of a fun thing to do. Very "analogue".

The problem was, if the broadcast time of the movie was awkward for me, I'd tape it. And I mean videotape it  (again, back when things were still kind of "analogue".)  I say "problem" because after a few years of doing this, I accumulated a vast collection of movies on videotape recorded from TCM.  I still have them. One day I'll go through them and discard the ones I don't want, but in the meantime, I've got a whole closetful of classic movies on videotape.  Sometimes I even watch some of them.

I stopped the videotape thing years ago.  Also the marking of when a film I'm interested in is airing on TCM.  I tend to just check the schedule from day to day. If there's something I want to watch, I plan around it and then actually watch it IN REAL TIME.  I think I may be the only person who does this.

7 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

The problem was, if the broadcast time of the movie was awkward for me, I'd tape it. And I mean videotape it  (again, back when things were still kind of "analogue".)  I say "problem" because after a few years of doing this, I accumulated a vast collection of movies on videotape recorded from TCM.  I still have them. One day I'll go through them and discard the ones I don't want, but in the meantime, I've got a whole closetful of classic movies on videotape.  Sometimes I even watch some of them.

I did the same and then one day my VCR broke on the VHS side, tearing up several tapes before I gave up.  Next, I tried to buy a new player/recorder and couldn't find one.  The Magnovox itself was fairly new and the other side should be able to record on blank DVD's but we can't figure out how to do it.  I spent one entire day determined to get it right and never could, neither could my brother or husband, both with computer science degrees.  So.  I don't have any of the DVR/Tivo whatever things so I can no longer record anything at all and have to actually stay up to 4 A.M to watch Joan Crawford movies  IN REAL TIME, too.!   I have figured out that most TVNetworks  give you a week or so to watch their things online.  I refuse to pay anything beyond what I pay for cable so no Hulu or Netflix etc. for me.

I still consider myself very lucky to have TCM and got it specially added to my cable package through begging etc.

The cable man was here  today,  so I've been thinking about this very subject.  I get several hundred stations and watch six.  He said that was true of most people.  If I just got what I watched it would look like this:

TCM - checking it out all the time

ABC -- Dateline

NBC -- This is Us

NBC --The Bachelor, don't judge, it gives good snarky message board.

CBS -- The News

CBS -- Jeopardy

CBS -- Survivor

PBS -- Masterpiece Theatre and almost everything else on Sunday nights.

AMC  -- Better Call Saul

TVLand  --Andy Griffith

I do surf sometimes but rarely stop anywhere until I'm back at TCM.

• Like 1

But in usual times with TCM, usually if I can't say a film live, I do try to catch up with it on Watch TCM. I've caught up with many films that way. I also have it programmed that the first channel that comes on the TV when it is turned on is TCM.

• Like 1

I don't think I can get "Watch TCM",  I've tried and it didn't work.  I think it has something to do with living in Canada .  (Fellow Canadian posters here  --Tom?  Bogie?-- Can you guys get "TCM Watch"??)  

Something I left out in my earlier post here is this:  I said I don't check out the TCM schedule very far in advance and make a note of upcoming movies I want to see. I used to , but not anymore.  However  !   an exception is Noir Alley.  I don't always even check out what's playing (although I usually do.)  Makes no difference, if it's "Noir Alley", I'm in.   This is the one featured TCM program that I almost always watch.  I love Eddie Muller's intros and outros, and I always enjoy whatever the featured noir is.

Although the best, most noirish time slot to watch Noir Alley is midnight, Saturday night, I actually catch Noir Alley in its 10 a.m.  Sunday morning time.  Not that this is very interesting, but the reason for that is twofold:  I actually still watch Saturday Night Live, which conflicts with the evening showing of Noir Alley. The other reason is,  Sunday mornings are a very relaxed time for me.  I have the house to myself ( my husband , good Catholic that he is, always attends Mass at 10:30 on Sundays), I get my coffee and toast and sit down with the cat and settle in for a nice enjoyable noir moment  ( or usually about 90  moments)  in the Sunday Noir Alley time slot.  I watch it in Real Time, which for me makes it all the more fun, for some reason.

• Like 1

I wanted to participate in this thread, but I think my viewing habits vary from week to week, sometimes from day to day. 

And I prefer not knowing what I'm going to watch until I actually find something and watch it. Often serendipitously. 

Case in point-- Britbox, which mostly features British television shows and miniseries will occasionally do a theme around a well-loved star and include a feature film. They did a theme on Judi Dench and added MRS. BROWN (1997) which I'd never seen before. I am watching it now. It wasn't something I planned to see, but I thought 'oh heck I'll give this a try.' And it's wonderful, she and Billy Connolly are great together. So glad I "stumbled" upon this gem.

• Like 1

Not sure if I have a routine per se, but here is what I do when it comes to TCM and other channels that air movies (commercial-free and unedited).

I subscribe to TCM's "Now Playing" newsletter, which gets sent to my email every month (I'm going to guess this is also the case with a number of other people here). At the beginning of every month, I scour the schedule (where I print off the PDFs of the monthly highlights calendar, the A-Z listing, and the complete monthly schedule on the TCM website). I go through it with a fine-tooth comb and point out which movies I might be interested in and make notes. I pay special attention to what airs based on themes I find appealing (for me, this is often sci-fi, war, adventure, political drama/intrigue, spy/espionage, racial/civil rights films, specific actors or directors I like). I pay close attention to what is chosen for TCM Underground, Noir Alley to an extent, as well as TCM Imports if they are appealing (this mostly means French movies).

From there, I record the movies I'd like to see  to my PVR to set aside for viewing at a later time. Since I also take the time to find movies that air on the other channels I have (in Canada, this means Crave, Starz, Hollywood Suite, and Super Channel), this inevitably means that my PVR fills up really quickly (space is finite, of course) and my schedule doesn't permit to watch all of them, so I inevitably have to make decisions on what to keep, what I can get away with deferring (i.e. do I know if the film in question will re-air next week or next month? If yes, I'll opt to record it again at a later time), and what I simply won't have time for and opt to not record or simply delete so I can make room for other films I'm more interested in seeing. It's agonizing to do, but it is what it is.

Anyways, I go through my queue of backlogged films in the order the movies aired on those channels and make my way through it. It's now mid-March 2020, and I'm still finishing up movies that aired in the month of October 2019 (I'm finishing the slate of Godzilla and Godzilla spin-off movies that aired on TCM for Halloween!).

A typical night for me (not lately, but most of my TCM viewing years) is to check the schedule (usually on the website, sometimes in my local newspaper) and start watching from the 8 pm ET slot or 10 pm ET time slot on until I'm so sleepy I'm either about to or realize I already have fallen asleep in my chair. On very rare occasions, if something good is starting at midnight ET and nothing I care for before that, I will stay up that long. That's mostly applied to a handful of Noir Alley movies, I think. All of that only applies if there's anything I want to watch. If not, then I usually watch AmazonPrime. Sometimes, I just pick something on there almost randomly. But other nights, I will try to match my Prime viewing with TCM's theme of the night. For instance, if it's Jose Ferrer night, and I just don't want to watch Cyrano de Bergerac again, I might watch Whirlpool instead on AmazonPrime (I think that's a real example).

During 31 Days of Oscar, I will typically watch the next movie that starts after I get home and keep going until too sleepy to continue. If it's the weekend or on a day I'm taking off, that might actually be during the daytime. I try to make exceptions for Oscar-nominated or winning material. I long ago realized I'm the only person on these message boards that cares about this event.

Most of TCM viewing happens from November through March. April through October is baseball season, and I'm watching baseball at least 25 nights a month, a few less the month of the All-Star break. So, during those months I'm usually only watching 5-10 movies on TCM each month. However, baseball is not starting until at least mid-April this year, maybe longer than that. So, TCM' s got me a little longer than normal this year.