Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funny Stuff

Rudy's Girl

13 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Reminds me of a portion of an old routine by standup comic Larry Miller here...

larry-miller-3.jpg

"Women say they have sexual thoughts too. They have no idea. It's the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. If they knew what we men were really thinking, they'd never stop slapping us."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

APpKu0S.jpg

The funny thing is witches actually think they have power....only in their minds.  Coincidentally watched the episode about the Salem Witch trials on Forbidden History a few nights ago, the only spell they cast today is relieving one of their cash for the junk they sell (potions, etc)  Spells, magic - no such thing.

50 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The funny thing is witches actually think they have power....only in their minds.  Coincidentally watched the episode about the Salem Witch trials on Forbidden History a few nights ago, the only spell they cast today is relieving one of their cash for the junk they sell (potions, etc)  Spells, magic - no such thing.

Power and magic are both quite relative.

What would be your reaction if I stated that several Medieval alchemists were able to turn base metals into gold? That is quite true because the definition of gold at that time was: "a yellow metal which takes a high polish and does not tarnish". It is hubris and folly to discount their achievements because you now believe that gold is solely defined as an atom with a specific number of protons.

What would be your reaction if I stated that I can use crystals to see things in far-off lands and converse with people I will never meet? Do I have to remind you that transistors and integrated circuits are grown crystals of silicon etched with cabalistic designs and have other crystals mounted to it?

Is chewing willow bark to relieve pain science or magic?

It might be good to remember also that any woman can be a witch when she wants to be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

Power and magic are both quite relative.

What would be your reaction if I stated that several Medieval alchemists were able to turn base metals into gold? That is quite true because the definition of gold at that time was: "a yellow metal which takes a high polish and does not tarnish". It is hubris and folly to discount their achievements because you now believe that gold is solely defined as an atom with a specific number of protons.

What would be your reaction if I stated that I can use crystals to see things in far-off lands and converse with people I will never meet? Do I have to remind you that transistors and integrated circuits are grown crystals of silicon etched with cabalistic designs and have other crystals mounted to it?

Is chewing willow bark to relieve pain science or magic?

It might be good to remember also that any woman can be a witch when she wants to be. 

Wise women did have herbal treatments for disease and ailments, it was called witchcraft by superstitions ignorant people.  I would never call such a witch.  Also men hated  women with knowledge, used  accusation of witchcraft to persecute. Alchemy is the forerunner of modern chemistry but it's impossible to change any base metal into gold.

The "yellowish metal" can also be fools gold.

I'm only stating magic itself is an impossibility.  Most modern inventions of course can be interpreted as such by people of the past.  Love one episode of "Sleepy Hollow" where Crane tried to get a smartphone to work, when he did said...What kind of sorcery is this?  :lol:

But hey, want to be a witch, knock yourself out - freedom of religion.

Again...IMPOSSIBLE (in this universe anyway)

change-outfit-transform.gif

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Alchemy is the forerunner of modern chemistry but it's impossible to change any base metal into gold.

"More than 30 years ago nuclear scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) in California succeeded in producing very small amounts of gold from bismuth, a metallic element adjacent to lead on the periodic table. The same process would work for lead, but isolating the gold at the end of the reaction would prove much more difficult, says David J. Morrissey, now of Michigan State University, one of the scientists who conducted  the research."  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-lead-can-be-turned-into-gold/ 

People fifty years ago said that it is impossible magic to simply say: "I want a hamburger and fries" and have them appear. Alexa and Doordash now perform this 'magic' for only a slight surcharge.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 2:22 PM, SansFin said:

"More than 30 years ago nuclear scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) in California succeeded in producing very small amounts of gold from bismuth, a metallic element adjacent to lead on the periodic table. The same process would work for lead, but isolating the gold at the end of the reaction would prove much more difficult, says David J. Morrissey, now of Michigan State University, one of the scientists who conducted  the research."  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-lead-can-be-turned-into-gold/ 

Now WAIT a sec here, Sans!

Are you tellin' me here that Rod Serling WASN'T just blowin' smoke when he came up with the ironic ending to this Twilight Zone episode???...

The-Twilight-Zone-The-Rip-Van-Winkle-Cap

;)

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 7:13 PM, Dargo said:

Now WAIT a sec here, Sans!

Are you tellin' me here that Rod Serling WASN'T just blowin' smoke when he came up with the ironic ending to this Twilight Zone episode???...

The-Twilight-Zone-The-Rip-Van-Winkle-Cap

;)

Good science fiction has at all times stayed within the boundary of what is potentially possible. Rod Serling often wandered across the line between science fiction and fantasy with no regard for which side his ideas and stories fell. This episode has a few apparent flaws in logic but the concept that cheap transformation of elements might be found someday is well within the bounds of science and is therefore science fiction.

• Like 3