Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I Were King...or Guest Programmer!

Ascotrudgeracer

On a clear, sunny day:

Frank Borzage's sublime STREET ANGEL (1928) starring Janet Gaynor

Henry Hathaway's deliriously romantic PETER IBBETSON (1935) starring Gary Cooper.

George Cukor's very queer and Shakespearean SYLVIA SCARLETT (1935) with Hepburn and Grant.

Jacques Tourneur's STARS IN MY CROWN (1950) with Joel McCrea

Stormy weather:

Fritz Lang's DR. MABUSE, THE GAMBLER (1922)

Producer Val Lewton's THE SEVENTH VICTIM (1943) starring Kim Hunter

Carl T. Dreyer's DAY OF WRATH (1943)

Roman Polanski's REPULSION (1965) with Catherine Deneuve

This is hard, and I may be back with a revised list, but here is what I would probably pick:

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952) (all time favorite)

UNION PACIFIC (1939)

SABRINA (1954)

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941)

others:

ANCHORS AWEIGH

RANDOM HARVEST

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

THE ROARING TWENTIES

Thanks, HollyGoli. I decided to pick movies I love which are not shown often enough. That's why there's no Welles or Lubitsch among them. Then again, I could have included Welles' CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT and Lubitsch's LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN, which get the short shrift from programmers. Very much looking forward to your picks!

Alright let's see. Here we go.

*A) HIGH-DEF PREMIERES*

If I could be a guest programmer to introduce TCM's premiere of these movies _in high-definition_ I would go with:

Lawrence of Arabia

2001: A Space Odyssey

How the West Was Won

El Cid

*B) NOIR NIGHT*

If TCM could get the rights, I'd go with these seldom-seen noirs:

The Burglar

I Walk Alone

Ride the Pink Horse

Alias Nick Beal

*C) FORBIDDEN DELIGHTS*

These movies are seldom seen due to rights issues. If TCM could somehow magically get the rights to show them, I'd go with:

Otto Preminger's Porgy and Bess

Walt Disney's Song of the South

Michael Curtiz's Life with Father

Howard Hawks' Ceiling Zero

*D) THEY DID IT FIRST*

The original/earlier versions of movies of which most folks have only had a chance to watch remakes:

Alice in Wonderland (1933)

The Great Gatsby (1949)

The Blue Lagoon (1949)

The Age of Innocence (1934)

*E) CONTEMPORARY ARTHOUSE*

This program would highlight arthouse movies of the last few decades that haven't been seen much after their initial release:

Jon Amiel's Queen of Hearts

Agnes Varda's Jacquot

Charles Lane's Sidewalk Stories

Alfonso Cuaron's Solo con tu pareja

*F) FOREIGN DELIGHTS*

An evening focusing on somewhat rare foreign-language movies:

Jean-Marie Poire's Les visiteurs (1993)

Luis Bunuel's El gran calavera (1949)

Carl Dreyer's Ordet (1955)

Claude Miller's La petite voleuse (1989)

Carlos Saura's Ay Carmela! (1990)

*G) BRING A PILLOW*

Lastly, if time considerations were not a factor, I would program the following titles with running times that are longer than usual:

Heimat

S?t?ntang?

Berlin Alexanderplatz

One thing to keep in mind is that your list would have to have more than four films on it because the programmers need to have other movies from your list in case any of your top four are unavailable.

TCM will actually be showing a film this November that ranks high on my wish list: THE L-SHAPED ROOM.

So how about:

WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND (Bryan Forbes)

FRENCHMAN'S CREEK (Mitchell Leisen) - Joan Fontaine suffered so much in REBECCA she deserved to have fun playing a pirate.

SUMMER STORM and/or A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE (Douglas Sirk)

THIS ANGRY AGE (Rene Clement) - Still #1 on the "Put it on DVD!" list.

THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA - Having seen the fine opera inspired by it, I'd love to see the film.

EXPERIENCE PREFERRED . . . BUT NOT ESSENTIAL

THE RECKLESS MOMENT, CAUGHT, and/or LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN - The American films of Max Ophuls

ICE COLD IN ALEX (J. Lee Thompson) - Highly praised British film about the North Africa campaign in WWII.

THE STARS LOOK DOWN (Carol Reed)

I love HollywoodGolightly's suggestion about showing films that were later remade. THE RECKLESS MOMENT also qualifies, since I believe it was remade as THE DEEP END with Tilda Swinton.

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

> I love HollywoodGolightly's suggestion about showing films that were later remade. THE RECKLESS MOMENT also qualifies, since I believe it was remade as THE DEEP END with Tilda Swinton.

Thank you, kingrat.

The idea was to include only movies that were remade, but kept the same name. This also excludes movies that have _the same name_ but otherwise have nothing in common - for example, Man on Fire (1957) and Man on Fire (2004), or the two versions of Top Gun - 1955 and 1986.

Great picks, HollyGoli!

I recently had a marathon viewing of both Heimat and Heimat II

At my school (U of Miami), we had a student-only screening of Disney's Song of the South (school-owned fine 35 mm print).Enjoyable but far from Disney's best.

I would really like to watch CEILING ZERO and RIDE THE PINK HORSE.

Thank you, Orson.

That marathon showing must have been a lot of fun. ;)

I know Song of the South isn't Disney's best, I just wish they didn't consider it such a taboo. I've seen it a few times (thanks to the Japanese laserdisc) but just with they would get it over and done with.

As for Ceiling Zero and Ride the Pink Horse - let's hope TCM will be able to show them sometime in the next few years. :)