Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SWARM IN GLORIOUS PAN AND SCAN

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

I read one fan review that thought the completely unexplained subplot of traumatized survivors seeing big-bee hallucinations was, quote, "A plot thread about survivors having a psychic link with the bees was sadly underexplored..."

That's definitely what you'd call overthinking the movie.

LOL!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL!

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

I read one fan review that thought the completely unexplained subplot of traumatized survivors seeing big-bee hallucinations was, quote, "A plot thread about survivors having a psychic link with the bees was sadly underexplored..."

That's definitely what you'd call overthinking the movie.

Africanized killer bees wasn't understood like today, Movies like to dramatize and "The Swarm" capitalize on the fear of them. They're only more aggressive than the normal honey bee.  Killer bees are not out to destroy cities. :wacko:

Are in Texas and Houston is still around. :lol:

africanized-bee-pest-id-card_front.jpg

my genuine favorite thing about THE SWARM is the GOVERNMENT COMMAND CENTER ROOM with a WHOLE BUNCH of equipment that seems to just emit humming noises, beeps and flashing patterns of lights that signify ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

my genuine favorite thing about THE SWARM is the GOVERNMENT COMMAND CENTER ROOM with a WHOLE BUNCH of equipment that seems to just emit humming noises, beeps and flashing patterns of lights that signify ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

LOL. The bigger the better........

On 3/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

What about the junk cobbled together in "Close Encounters of The Third Kind" at the Devil Tower's command / arrival facility.   I easily recognize a AM/FM amplifier pulled from one of those Morse horizontal cabinet record players.

What's it's purpose - ET is on 101 FM?

On left

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by hamradio
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

It comes off as a bad mini-series or tv movie. It's not bad enough to be entertaining. Just boring. People shouting; Bad dialog; subplots that go nowhere and have no connection to anything (particularly the Olivia love triangle). The Bee attacks are few and far between and not really scary etc. There are some so bad it's good moments, but a lot of boring, dull stretches in between. I might watch it again to see the final half hour (LOL) I missed when I bailed!

The last act has perhaps one of the most eyeopening moments. The bees attack inside a nuclear power plant causes it to all explode and destroy all of Houston. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me. The longer version has other scenes that fleshed some things out, as per IMDb (although this reveals some more deaths).....

• more of the 3 way courtship between DeHavilland, Johnson & MacMurray
  • a hilarious scene in which the military inspect the attacked picnic site and Michael Caine comments on the bees' biting abilities
  • several additional scenes of Caine and Katharine Ross driving back and forth between the military bunker and the town and chatting about developments as they do
  • the death scene of the little boy whose parents were killed and who subsequently firebombed the swarm - in the short version he is in hospital and you assume he's survived although he's not seen again. he has a relapse and dies in the long version.
  • various extra footage of Caine and Ross going to the HQ in Houston
  • when Henry Fonda is killed there is an additional shot of a huge superimposed bee which he sees at the moment of death
  • an additional subplot near the end of the film in which Ross has a relapse and nearly dies from her earlier bee sting. This is why she's lying in a bed when Caine rescues her from the burning building. This sub-plot has several short scenes including one when Bradford Dillman and Richard Widmark see Caine praying by her bed - once he sees that Caine believes in God Widmark knows he's a good chap and instructs Dillman to "Close that dossier" (the dossier has been constantly referred to by Widmark but was left as an unresolved plot hole in the theatrical cut).
  • Thanks 1

Of course though given the pans for this and the catastrophic box office, what was more damaging for WB in the late 70s? This or Exorcist II (there is a hilarious story about a test screening of that one on IMDb)? its interesting though: July 14, 1978 saw the release of two films I've seen, the unintentionally funny (and very goofy) The Sawrm and the intentionally funny (and delightful) Foul Play. Now there's a movie going pick for you.

• Thanks 1

I'd forgotten John Boorman directed that. I remember how bad the reviews were. I just read about the preview vigilantes! LMREO!

It says it grossed 30 mill, more a mess than a total financial flop.

Speaking again of The Swarm, i feel that one of its central death moments is not handled well. It's the train derailment. Its not just that some of the cast members I cared about the most were killed in the scene; its the sheer abruptness of it all. It's all interlooped (what with the fall from the cliff, MacMurray [final film] and Johnson being thrown from the train window, De Havilland being made in essence into an extra thrown  wordlessly to the floor, and the whole thing exploding)  in less than two minutes and never mentioned again\ desite stating that 17 survived it on the computer screen. it was just sloppy. 

• Thanks 1

By the way, on both IMDb and the film site Letterboxd, it ranks among the 10 worst rated films with an Oscar nomination.....

IMDb:
1. Yes Giorgio (1982) 3.8/10 [nominated for Song]
2. Klondike Fury (1942) 3.9/10 [nominated for Score]
3. The Stepmother (1972) 4/10 [nominated for Song]
4. Norbit (2007) 4/10 [nominated for makeup]
5. Fifty Shades of Gray (2015) 4.1/10 [nominated for Song]
6. Heartbeeps (1981) 4.2/10 [nominated for Makeup]
7.The Song of the Flame (1930) 4.3/10 [nominated for Sound]
8. Flying with Music (1942) 4.3/10 [nominated for Score of a Musical and Song]
9. Hitchhike to Happiness (1945) 4.4/10 [ nominated for Score]
10. The Swarm (1978) 4.5/10 [nominated for Costume Design]

The Lowest rated film nominated for a major Oscar on IMDb is 1975's Once is Not Enough (#12 among the lowest, 4.6 average) nominated for Brenda Vaccaro in Supporting Actress.

letterboxd:
1. Norbit (2007) 1.6/5 [3.2/10]
2. Yes Giorgio (1982) 1.8/5 [3.6/10]
3. Fifty Shades of Gray (2015) 1.8/5 [3.6/10]
4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) 2/5 [4/10] [nominated for Sound Mixing]
5. Suicide Squad (2016) 2.1/5 [4.2/10] [actually won for Makeup]
6. Heartbeeps (1981) 2.1/5 [4.2/10]
7. The Swarm (1978) 2.1/5 [4.2/10]
8. Junior (1994) 2.1/5 [4.2/10] (Nominated for Song)
9. When Time Ran Out... (1980) 2.2/5 [4.4/10] (Nominated for Costume Design; its another Irwin Allen film, and has the same costume designer as The Swarm)
10. Endless Love (1981) 2.2/5 [4.4/10] [nominated for Song]

The lowest major nominee there, again in 12th place is Coquette which won Best Actress for Mary Pickford in 1929. [2.3/5;4.6/10]

♠ More TRIVIAL stuff from my fertile brain ♠

So we have this in regards to THE SWARM (1978):

Theatrical version:  116 minutes

Expanded version released in the early 1990s:  156 minutes.  Wikipedia says this expanded version of "The Swarm" first materialized on the 1992 LaserDisc release.  Sounds reasonable.

------------------------------------------------------

Let us not forget there are at least 2 versions -- possibly three -- of the Irwin Allen-produced 1980 disaster movie "WHEN TIME RAN OUT . . . ".  The older Leonard Maltin TV Movie and Video Guide Edition from 1990 lists the theatrical version's running time as 121 minutes.  I don't know if that's true or not.  The most recent Leonard Maltin Movie Guide paperback from 2015 lists the running time as 109 minutes and also says there are extant versions running 121m and 141m.  → However, I don't know where an eager viewer would see the 121m. version -- if there actually IS a version of "When Time Ran Out . . . " that runs 2h 1m.  Never seen ~any~ release of this film with that run time.   

The 144-minute version (sic) exists on VHS, but apparently not on DVD.  WARNER HOME VIDEO first released "When Time Ran Out . . . " on VHS in 1986 in a clamshell case with insert artwork.  I have a couple of these BIG BOX releases.  The write-up of the movie on the back of the insert art ends with this in all-caps:  EXPANDED VIDEO EDITION.  The run time states 144 minutes.  Maltin's book says 141m. so -- give or take three minutes -- what you'd have rented on VHS back 'in the day' was not the shorter theatrical version.

The version of WHEN TIME RAN OUT . . . released in the UK was 104m. due to the 4% PAL speed-up.  That corresponds to the 109m. version in NTSC released on DVD in the U.S. circa 2011.  The long version is, to date, only available on tape.  Warner re-released it on VHS in 1993 or '94 in a small box with the same expanded edition.  As far as I can tell Warner did not re-issue it again before the advent of DVD fully taking over from VHS. 

The 144m. version added scenes from the TV version to build the running time up.  I saw the movie on television MANY moons ago under the alternate Tv title of "Earth's Final Fury" and then I rented the Warner VHS tape and later bought a couple of copies of this longer version to have in my video stash.  The 109m. version released to DVD never came out in the U.S. on tape, btw, only in overseas countries did this version hit VHS.

--------------------------------------------------------------- 

ALSO:  WARNER HOME VIDEO released Irwin Allen's two mid-70s TVM's on VHS at the same time of "When Time Ran Out . . . " in 1986.  Ergo, "FLOOD!" and "FIRE!" had groovy clamshell releases, too, and I snagged them years later as nice used videos.  FIRE! and FLOOD! are on DVD and maybe even Blu-Ray by now, but it makes no difference.  These are Tv movies and were broadcast at 1.33:1 so there's no panning-and-scanning or picture 'information' missing having an old tape.  → Perhaps the biggest beef of all about the VHS and ßeta releases of the past were that W/S movies were shown in 'Full Frame' instead of their proper aspect ratio.  It was thought at the time that renters 'n' buyers of tapes would complain about not having their television screens 'filled up' and "What are these weird 'black bars' doing here?".  The 'black bars' (or, more accurately, un-needed screen space) apparently were too much for most American viewers in the 1980s to digest that they weren't actually ~missing~ picture information by watching a tape that featured 'black bars' on their Tv screen.  → I always wished the 1965 movie "The Third Day" had been released on tape, but I noted when the MOD/DVD-R release was made available the movie's aspect ration was 2.40:1.  Wow!  I didn't know that prior to buying the disc.  I just thought it was 1.85:1.

----------------------------------------------------------------- 

Speaking of W/S VHS releases of the 1990s . . . some of you keen-eyed movie buyers in the 1990s probably noticed a number of films were being re-issued in W/S versions.  Not all that many, admittedly, but SOME were.  I snagged some W/S video releases of the '90s

When the 1977 movie THE CAR was first released on homevideo in 1997 by 'Anchor Bay' it was offered in a W/S version on VHS -or- a 'full-screen' version.  I checked out the aspect ratio as I'd not seen the movie in years prior to its video release; I'd only seen 'THE CAR' on television in the '80s.  I noted it was 2.35:1 so I bought the Anchor Bay W/S tape.  I did the same with the Anchor Bay VHS release of TWO-LANE BLACKTOP.  Except I got sent the wrong one by mistake.  So, to date, I still have a W/S and a Full Frame tape of "Two-Lane Blacktop".  And then there is THE DEVIL'S RAIN (1975).  I snagged the early '80s VCI release of "Devil's Rain" . . . but then in the 1990s VCI inexplicably released a W/S version of "The Devil's Rain" @2:35:1.  So I bought that, too.  I have always endeavoured to be a thorough as I can in my hunt for VHS goodies to buy.  I have several W/S VHS releases of 'JAWS', but my favorite release is still the 1980 'MCA Videocassette, Inc.' release with catalog #66001.  The last 3 times I've watched "Jaws" was on this old tape.  It's still ready to be a useful mylar utensil after almost 40 years.  :lol:  It's just a straight transfer of a film print with no remastering, no 'color matching', no enhanced sound and no options of any kind.  You just stuff in into the VCR and watch it.  Some of the later W/S VHS releases of JAWS had bonus features so that was a good enough reason for me snag a couple copies of those.  I concede sometimes I have "spare-it is". 

In regards to the 1972 movie THE GROUNDSTAR CONSPIRACY . . . Anchor Bay was supposed to have released it on tape in a W/S version and a full screen version.  Except I've never found a W/S VHS of "Groundstar" from Anchor Bay.  Only the 'full-frame' release.  Can't win 'em all . . .

→ P.S.  You should see the 1978 Magnetic Video Corporation VHS release of "Bus Stop".  It's amazing.  It's not panned-and-scanned.  The sides of the picture are simply cut off.  I reckon what one sees is the 'center' of the frame and that's the way the entire movie plays.  When the opening credits roll you can only see parts of the names of the cast and crew.  First names are cut off on the left and last names are missing on the right and the videocassette itself is like a brick with mylar stuffed in it.             

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Speaking again of The Swarm, i feel that one of its central death moments is not handled well. It's the train derailment. Its not just that some of the cast members I cared about the most were killed in the scene; its the sheer abruptness of it all. It's all interlooped (what with the fall from the cliff, MacMurray [final film] and Johnson being thrown from the train window, De Havilland being made in essence into an extra thrown  wordlessly to the floor, and the whole thing exploding)  in less than two minutes and never mentioned again\ desite stating that 17 survived it on the computer screen. it was just sloppy. 

Yeah, I agree. In the longer version was it explained what Olivia and her 2 suitors were even doing on that train? WHERE were they going? They show them on the train with no lead in. INQUIRING MINDS want to know!

The editing in the whole film was really sloppy.

15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

By the way, on both IMDb and the film site Letterboxd, it ranks among the 10 worst rated films with an Oscar nomination.....

IMDb:
1. Yes Giorgio (1982) 3.8/10 [nominated for Song]
2. Klondike Fury (1942) 3.9/10 [nominated for Score]
3. The Stepmother (1972) 4/10 [nominated for Song]
4. Norbit (2007) 4/10 [nominated for makeup]
5. Fifty Shades of Gray (2015) 4.1/10 [nominated for Song]
6. Heartbeeps (1981) 4.2/10 [nominated for Makeup]
7.The Song of the Flame (1930) 4.3/10 [nominated for Sound]
8. Flying with Music (1942) 4.3/10 [nominated for Score of a Musical and Song]
9. Hitchhike to Happiness (1945) 4.4/10 [ nominated for Score]
10. The Swarm (1978) 4.5/10 [nominated for Costume Design]

The Lowest rated film nominated for a major Oscar on IMDb is 1975's Once is Not Enough (#12 among the lowest, 4.6 average) nominated for Brenda Vaccaro in Supporting Actress.

letterboxd:
1. Norbit (2007) 1.6/5 [3.2/10]
2. Yes Giorgio (1982) 1.8/5 [3.6/10]
3. Fifty Shades of Gray (2015) 1.8/5 [3.6/10]
4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) 2/5 [4/10] [nominated for Sound Mixing]
5. Suicide Squad (2016) 2.1/5 [4.2/10] [actually won for Makeup]
6. Heartbeeps (1981) 2.1/5 [4.2/10]
7. The Swarm (1978) 2.1/5 [4.2/10]
8. Junior (1994) 2.1/5 [4.2/10] (Nominated for Song)
9. When Time Ran Out... (1980) 2.2/5 [4.4/10] (Nominated for Costume Design; its another Irwin Allen film, and has the same costume designer as The Swarm)
10. Endless Love (1981) 2.2/5 [4.4/10] [nominated for Song]

The lowest major nominee there, again in 12th place is Coquette which won Best Actress for Mary Pickford in 1929. [2.3/5;4.6/10]

LOL. What a torturous line up of movie watching! Would LOVE to see Once Is Not Enough. Jackie S's last movie adaptation. Reviews were scathing. Was hoping it would turn up on Kirk Douglas Day! Too bad it's Paramount.

What's with this costume designer getting all these nominations. Something stinks here.......

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL. What a torturous line up of movie watching! Would LOVE to see Once Is Not Enough. Jackie S's last movie adaptation. Reviews were scathing. Was hoping it would turn up on Kirk Douglas Day! Too bad it's Paramount.

What's with this costume designer getting all these nominations. Something stinks here.......

I am curious as well. I know BRENDA VACCARO from SUPERGIRL, 12 episodes of MURDER SHE WROTE, her LEGENDARY APPEARANCE as PHIL'S WIFE on THE GOLDEN GIRLS and THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES...I have to admit she intrigues me.

at least according to INSIDE OSCAR, the OFFICIAL TITLE of ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH was JACQUELINE SUSANN'S ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH (that's how it's listed by her official nomination.)

I have no idea what her part is even like.

She plays this trampy business woman who takes the heroine under her wing. From reviews she's the best thing in the movie. Yeah, beware when the author's name is in the title! SIDNEY SHELDON'S BLOODLINE!

I've always liked her. She was Michael Douglas' girlfriend for a good while.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

She plays this trampy business woman who takes the heroine under her wing. From reviews she's the best thing in the movie. Yeah, beware when the author's name is in the title! SIDNEY SHELDON'S BLOODLINE!

I've always liked her. She was Michael Douglas' girlfriend for a good while.

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA also.

it was, I guess, nice of them to let people know it was JACQUELINE SUSANN'S ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH and not WILLIAM MAKEPIECE THACKERY'S  ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, beware when the author's name is in the title! SIDNEY SHELDON'S BLOODLINE!

"Stephen King's 'Silver Bullet'"

"Nicholas Sparks 'The Notebook'"

"Tim Burton's 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'"

(Okay, so TNBC wasn't bad, but what the heck did he do on it, if he didn't direct?)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A review from imdb for this 1975 "gem"!!

Once Is Not Enough (1975)

One can never get enough (of this movie!)

16 July 2002

Warning: Spoilers

It's true....Only the skeleton of Ms. Susann's novel remains in this bland, dreary screen treatment. All the truly racy parts are sanitized out partly or completely. Still, there's something irresistible about this film in a good/bad way. The stellar cast tiptoeing its way around such sordid subjects as casual sex, incestuous feelings, loss of virginity, lesbianism et al provides curiosity appeal. Aside from the bleaching of the story elements, the biggest flaw is the time spent on Raffin. She is almost adequate in the film, but her character is not very easy to identify with and can be pretty annoying. She, unfortunately, is the primary focus of the story. Douglas carries her along pretty well, but even he doesn't get the screen time one might like and does disappear for a large chunk of it. The major interest comes from the more colorful and vivid supporting cast. Vaccaro got a lot of attention as the man-hungry, plain-speaking magazine editor. She adds a lot of zing to a very sedate film. Hamilton is his usual suave self but fades out quietly, Janssen gives a thoughtful if drowsy performance and can almost be understood at times through his growl, Mercouri is barely seen at all (her story was all but snipped out of the script) and Conway has, literally, nothing to do but look handsome. The chief reason for sitting through all the melodrama and angst (aside from witnessing Conway running on the beach in the teeniest cutoff sweat pants) is to witness the wry, slick, surprising performance of Smith. Her character is a fascinating blend of haughty arrogance, vulnerability, style, elegance and bawdiness. She plays a part that would have made her old boss Jack Warner keel over from shock. Moss Mabry decked Ms. Smith in the latest (now hilariously dated) styles and with her regal air and frosted pageboy, she RUNS the film while she's on screen. Most unforgettable is her backgammon partner "Joyce". The title music by Mancini sounds like a dry run for the TV series "Hotel". He basically switched a few notes around, dusted it off and "Abrakadabra"! ...a TV theme song was born! Most excruciating for anyone who sat through the film and didn't like it (which is probably 80% of the viewing audience) is the ending, in which "highlights" of the film are reviewed (and reviewed!) over more of the title music--this time sung by generic crooners who may as well be singing about mouthwash and who probably worked on 1973's "Lost Horizon" in some cruel attempt to end film-making forever! This is a special brand of glamorously produced, but insipid, film-making. It's an acquired taste, but delicious to those who like it. One nagging question remains...... Among Douglas, Janssen, Hamilton and Conway, they chose to show Janssen's naked behind? Assault with a deadly weapon!

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am curious as well. I know BRENDA VACCARO from SUPERGIRL, 12 episodes of MURDER SHE WROTE, her LEGENDARY APPEARANCE as PHIL'S WIFE on THE GOLDEN GIRLS and THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES...I have to admit she intrigues me.

at least according to INSIDE OSCAR, the OFFICIAL TITLE of ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH was JACQUELINE SUSANN'S ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH (that's how it's listed by her official nomination.)

I have no idea what her part is even like.

She plays a man-hungry magazine editor. The film was regarded as an absolute fiasco outside of her (something about Deborah Raffin seeming too attached to her father Kirk Douglas for  comfort; meanwhile Kirk is married to closeted lesbian Alexis Smith, who is seeing Melina Mercouri, while Raffin gets involved with alcoholic David Janssen, after previously being seduced by George Hamilton.... and so on ... it was shockingly toned down from the book which included an **** and hard drugs.) . Anyway, Vaccaro was praised though for having fun with her part in a dumpster fire of a film (and getting the films most lurid lines) and even won the Golden Globe that year! 

Some internet quotes:

Once is Not Enough resists being pure, unadulterated camp and instead is just a lethargic, turgid mess. This is one sleazy little film that pretends to be serious but it's an unconvincing masquerade. Some of the performances, notably Raffin's, are just laughably bad, but Vaccaro is an absolute hoot chewing through her unbelievable lines with relish as if to say, "****you, Jacqueline Susann! You can't defeat me!" In fact Vaccaro is probably the single greatest reason to watch Once is Not Enough, but even her contributions are probably not enough to warrant doing anything other than renting this.

I'm not going to get into a big song-and-dance about Jacqueline Susann and her various film adaptations; suffice it to say: the original Valley of the Dolls is one of my top five favorite films in any genre (I have my reasons)...so anything having a similar pedigree is naturally going to be of interest to me. I didn't see Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough when it came out in the summer of Jaws (I was a weird little ten-year-old but not that weird), and I don't remember it being much of a presence on cable growing up. So imagine my anticipation when Olive Films' bare-bones disc arrived in the mail. However, after the first five minutes...my delight turned into a growing realization that this film was a hideous bore--the gravest sin a crappy melodrama can commit: thou shalt not put the viewer to sleep.

You wouldn't know it, though, looking at Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough's opening credits. At least at first glance, that is. Ace cinematographer John Alonzo provides the lush look of the film. Film great Henry Mancini composed the sweeping, full orchestra score. Julius J. Epstein, of Casablanca fame, wrote the adapted screenplay, and Guy Green (The Mark, A Patch of Blue) directed the cast of big names like Kirk Douglas, Alexis Smith, David Janssen, and Melina Mercouri. But once you start thinking about those credits, and start actually watching Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough, you realize it's all a bill of goods. Alonzo's palette is chilly and antiseptic; Mancini's score is overblown and syrupy in the worst tradition of the typical "woman's picture" music; Epstein and Green are ill-suited for what should have been a fast-moving, vulgar, sordid little tale of sexual peccadilloes among the rich and famous, and that cast is well-past its sell-by date, with only Brenda Vaccaro in on the joke......

Only Brenda Vaccaro seems to understand what this kind of movie needs (she scored a well-deserved Oscar® nomination for Best Supporting Actress here). Barely containing her glee at playing an impish prankster who pops up every ten minutes to say something outrageous, Vaccaro never looked more attractive (and don't get me started on that ultra-sexy, husky voice...), and that confidence shines blindingly through the other morose neurasthenics that inhabit the frame with her. She knows this is garbage, and she plays to the stalls, and in the process, walks away with the entire film. It's a delightfully brassy, open performance, and thank god it's there, but perversely, since the rest of Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough is so funereal and backward, it's a turn that seems to be operating in an entirely different movie.

Similarly, the performances are erratic: Raffin is terrible (flat line readings, unconvincing emotional shifts), Douglas is okay (hammy but intense), and Vaccaro is great (*****y, fragile, funny).

Meanwhile, January visits old school chum Linda Riggs (Vaccaro), who’s now the potty-mouthed, man-crazy editor of a women’s magazine. Although their friendship begs credibility (January is barely 20, Linda is 28. What the **** kind of school did they go to?) it’s nothing compared to the speed with which Linda offers January both a job and an apartment.

Regarding Vaccaro though, i like her. Try to check out 1989's mob comedy Cookie where she has a small but delightful part as a cheated-upon mob wife. When there is a mob-related explosion in her characters driveway, she gets on TV about it to make a pitch for her dog grooming business.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, EricJ said:

"Stephen King's 'Silver Bullet'"

"Nicholas Sparks 'The Notebook'"

"Tim Burton's 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'"

(Okay, so TNBC wasn't bad, but what the heck did he do on it, if he didn't direct?)

Burton came up with the original story idea of Nightmare and remained on as the producer, but Caroline Thompson ended up writing the script, and Henry Sellick ended up directing. Its a bit of a tenuous link to Burton but stronger than say Billy Rose's Jumbo. (Billy Rose produced the original Broadway show and insisted that the film still be called that when it was made in 1962)

• Thanks 1

Back to the swarm... I am reporting on Roger Ebert's words about The Swarm's costume design nom in a 1979 video "I'm amazed that Paul Zastupnevich's costumes in The Swarm were even nominated. How ridiculous can you get? The characters aren't wearing asbestos suits to protect them from killer bees, they mostly just dressed is standard double-knit business suits and police uniforms. But then, why get all dressed up for the year's worst movie?" In the same video Ebert asks Siskel: "How do you account for the Academy Award nomination for The Swarm? How do you get an AcademyAward nomination for dressing people right off the rack?" Siskel replies: "Well there is only one explanation as I am concerned. And that is this costume designer must have an awful lot of friends among his fellow costume designers who nominated him."

Two years later, Siskel picked the same designer's costumes for When Time Ran Out as the worst Oscar nomination of 1980...... (Ebert picked the cinematography from The Formula, which I personally feel is an undervalued film... if also confusing at times)

• Thanks 1

IN RE: THE ALMOST CAMUS-LIKE EMPTINESS OF THE DeHAVILLAND/BEN JOHNSON/MACMURRAY menage in THE SWARM:

IT IS WEIRD ISN'T IT?

spoilers

the 1970's brought with them the NEW NOTION of KILLING THE PROTAGONIST, OFTEN UNEXPECTEDLY, even if they were the hero- a definite rebellion against the OLD SCHOOL POLICY that A STAR DOES NOT DIE AT THE END EVEN IF IT MAKES NO SENSE AND UNDERCUTS THE REST OF THE STORY (see: KISS OF DEATH or even THE DAMNED DON'T CRY.)

And with POSEIDON and THE TOWERING INFERNO, THE TWO THINGS that stuck with most people were the deaths of SHELLEY WINTERS and JENNIFER JONESESESES' CHARACTERS, ESPECIALLY THE LATTER, because while THE TOWERING INFERNO has A LOT OF SHORTCOMINGS, the death of THAT CHARACTER, even though the special effects choices in rendering it are questionable**- is EFFECTIVE and UNSETTLING.

So i think this was IRWIN'S THIRD TIME TO THE WELL on LET'S WORK IN A "BELOVED" HOLLYWOOD LEGEND, endear them moreso to the audience, then DISREGARD THEM BRUTALLY by killing them with a risible NONCHALANCE....ONLY everything about it just reeks of afterthought. and BLESS HER GOD**** HEART, But as GOOD an actress as OLIVIA was, SHE WAS IN THE WEEDS ON THIS ONE AND MAN DOES IT SHOW!

source.gifYES, LIVVIE, GIVE ME "THE DOG JUST "WENT" ON THE CARPET!"  REALNESS!

they actually filmed a double for OLIVIA with a BEE BEARD. there are pics on google i think BUT I AM NOT POSTING IMAGES OF MELANIE WILKES BEING STUNG TO DEATH BY BEES THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

If you want to see them, look 'em up yourself you sick bastards.

**When that BARBIE DOLL bounces off the side of that flaming model, it's like, "whoa there, watch it, that's ST BERNADETTE. CLUNY BROWN and RUBY GENTRY THERE. SHE ALSO SAVED THAT CAT AND THOSE KIDS.")