Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SWARM IN GLORIOUS PAN AND SCAN

16 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

DEATH BECOMES HER was a Universal film. 

thanks

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, FOR A LITTLE while in the late 80's/90's, MERYL had something of a old-timey-type contract with UNIVERSAL. She did quite a few films on the lot (POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE too maybe?)

i watched a lot of THE SWARM yesterday.

*what was UP with the WEIRDASSED 8 minute PLOT CUL-DE-SAC where some old ANDY DEVINEY-type (was it SLIM PICKENS?) actor SHUTS OFF THE WATER for the local nuclear missile station so he can carry off the body of his son???? that was DALI-LEVEL ODDNESS.

*Nice of OLIVIA to recover from WATCHING HALF THE TOWN AND HER STUDENTS DIE IN FRONT OF HER enough that she can kick back with a good book on the train scene.

*it looked like they were throwing raisins at the actors

*RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN is in this.

*I must say it was interesting to see THE SWARM attacK STAR'S HOLLOW, especially when CAINE and ROSS and a VERY PUFFY PATTY DUKE take refuge in the cooler in back of  LUKE'S DINER. 

25 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i watched a lot of THE SWARM yesterday.

*what was UP with the WEIRDASSED 8 minute PLOT CUL-DE-SAC where some old ANDY DEVINEY-type (was it SLIM PICKENS?) actor SHUTS OFF THE WATER for the local nuclear missile station so he can carry off the body of his son???? that was DALI-LEVEL ODDNESS.

*Nice of OLIVIA to recover from WATCHING HALF THE TOWN AND HER STUDENTS DIE IN FRONT OF HER enough that she can kick back with a good book on the train scene.

*it looked like they were throwing raisins at the actors

*RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN is in this.

*I must say it was interesting to see THE SWARM attacK STAR'S HOLLOW, especially when CAINE and ROSS and a VERY PUFFY PATTY DUKE take refuge in the cooler in back of  LUKE'S DINER. 

LOL. Was never explained how they got out of that cooler! I guess they wanted some human interest in the story, since there was little of it in the film (Pickens dead son)

There were a lot of stills of Olivia and the train scene including all 3 on the train landing which MAY HAVE EXPLAINED WHERE THEY WERE GOING (I've still waiting for an answer!) Yeah, she didn't seem too traumatized after that school yard sting fest.....

You know they could've left all that in there and just cut out 10 mins from the Widmark/Caine SHOUTFESTS  that must've taken up a half hour of the film, and you wouldnt have noticed any diference plotwise!

Chamberlain could've been cut also and wouldn't have noticed. He must've had 10 lines

I thought you'd NEVER watch this film again?  LMREO!

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

thanks

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, FOR A LITTLE while in the late 80's/90's, MERYL had something of a old-timey-type contract with UNIVERSAL. She did quite a few films on the lot (POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE too maybe?)

Yeah, I think Postcards was also Universal and maybe that pic with Renee Z was too?

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

L

You know they could've left all that in there and just cut out 10 mins from the Widmark/Caine SHOUTFESTS  that must've taken up a half hour of the film, and you wouldnt have noticed any diference plotwise!

Yeah, those did NOT WORK. WIDMARK was LOST.

I think it is safe to say IRWIN ALLEN was NOT an ACTOR'S DIRECTOR.

HENRY FONDA stinks in it too, he has some eyebrow maintenance issues that should have been seen to, they undercut most of his close-ups. the 1970's were NOT GOOD to ole Hank.

it would have made the film 100% WORTH IT if his wheelchair-bound scientist had suddenly LEAPT TO HIS FEET at the climax and SCREAMED "MEIN FUHRER, I CAN VALK!"

th?id=OIP.W_HabWnctzTCv_xJuAkjnwHaE3&pid"JANEY WENT TO HANOI AND DID WHAT NOW?!"

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, those did NOT WORK. WIDMARK was LOST.

I think it is safe to say IRWIN ALLEN was NOT an ACTOR'S DIRECTOR.

HENRY FONDA stinks in it too, he has some eyebrow maintenance issues that should have been seen to, they undercut most of his close-ups. the 1970's were NOT GOOD to ole Hank.

it would have made the film 100% WORTH IT if his wheelchair-bound scientist had suddenly LEAPT TO HIS FEET at the climax and SCREAMED "MEIN FUHRER, I CAN VALK!"

th?id=OIP.W_HabWnctzTCv_xJuAkjnwHaE3&pid"JANEY WENT TO HANOI AND DID WHAT NOW?!"

He injects himself knowing what might happen with no one in the room to help him. OK. I hadn't noticed the eyebrows, but looking at him NOW, how could I have missed this? LOL!

24 minutes ago, Hibi said:

He injects himself knowing what might happen with no one in the room to help him. OK. I hadn't noticed the eyebrows, but looking at him NOW, how could I missed this? LOL!

THERE WAS ONE CLOSE-UP WHERE I WAS GENUINELY CONCERNED A SOUTHBOUND WISP WAS GOING TO POKE AT HIS EYE AND CAUSE AN INFLAMMATION. It is REALLY NOTICEABLE.

I WAS ALSO BEMUSED by how THE SWARM puts forth the notion that GOVERNMENT NUCLEAR SITES are just totally open to the public- like an old ARCO STATION, just a busted screen door, wander on in, take the elevator to level 7 and get an RC and a MOON PIE...

There are also numerous references to THE PRESIDENT in THE SWARM and I got a kick out of imagining what JIMMY CARTER'S approach would've been to the killer bee crisis. pROBABLY apologize, negotiate a treaty, then grant them asylum and put 'em on THE WELFARE!

OH, AND ONE OTHER THING, WIDMARK'S GENERAL INSISTS ON REFERRING TO THE AFRICAN BEES AS "AFRICANS" THROUGHOUT THE MOVIE.

I WOULD SAY DIALOGUE LIKE "WE'RE GOING TO CRUSH THESE AFRICANS BEFORE THEY TAKE OVER AMERICA!!" HAS NOT AGED WELL, BUT- REALLY- IT WAS AS BAD THEN AS IT IS 42 YEARS LATER.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THERE WAS ONE CLOSE-UP WHERE I WAS GENUINELY CONCERNED A SOUTHBOUND WISP WAS GOING TO POKE AT HIS EYE AND CAUSE AN INFLAMMATION. It is REALLY NOTICEABLE.

If I ever want to TORTURE myself by watching it again, I'll look for it!

21 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I WAS ALSO BEMUSED by how THE SWARM puts forth the notion that GOVERNMENT NUCLEAR SITES are just totally open to the public- like an old ARCO STATION, just a busted screen door, wander on in, take the elevator to level 7 and get an RC and a MOON PIE...

There are also numerous references to THE PRESIDENT in THE SWARM and I got a kick out of imagining what JIMMY CARTER'S approach would've been to the killer bee crisis. pROBABLY apologize, negotiate a treaty, then grant them asylum and put 'em on THE WELFARE!

OH, AND ONE OTHER THING, WIDMARK'S GENERAL INSISTS ON REFERRING TO THE AFRICAN BEES AS "AFRICANS" THROUGHOUT THE MOVIE.

I WOULD SAY DIALOGUE LIKE "WE'RE GOING TO CRUSH THESE AFRICANS BEFORE THEY TAKE OVER AMERICA!!" HAS NOT AGED WELL, BUT- REALLY- IT WAS AS BAD THEN AS IT IS 42 YEARS LATER.

Yeah, I noticed that too about THE AFRICANS........

On 3/12/2020 at 10:39 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

thanks

Meryl did the following at Universal: The Deer Hunter, Death Becomes Her, Sophie's Choice, Out of Africa, Death Becomes Her, The River Wild, One True Thing, Prime., Mamma Mia (and sequel), It's Complicated.

• Thanks 1

POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE (1990) was a Columbia Pictures presentation. 

Besides THE SWARM (1978), Henry Fonda went paycheck-hunting in the awful Italian/U.S. movie TENTACLES (Tentacoli) from '77.  It's nearly as bad as THE SWARM.  Very un-involving and another waste of a good cast.     

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE (1990) was a Columbia Pictures presentation. 

Besides THE SWARM (1978), Henry Fonda went paycheck-hunting in the awful Italian/U.S. movie TENTACLES (Tentacoli) from '77.  It's nearly as bad as THE SWARM.  Very un-involving and another waste of a good cast.     

TENTACOLI  is JAW DROPPINGLY BAD!

• Like 1