Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SWARM IN GLORIOUS PAN AND SCAN


Recommended Posts

How about The Love Boat with an all-star cast.  Add that a secret stash of killer bees gets unleashed onboard.  The ship capsizes as an underwater volcano explodes.  What have I left out?

Yeah, someone needs a kidney, fast.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

How about The Love Boat with an all-star cast.  Add that a secret stash of killer bees gets unleashed onboard.  The ship capsizes as an underwater volcano explodes.  What have I left out?

Yeah, someone needs a kidney, fast.

I think it should be a heart, just because the scene in AIRPLANE! where the heart starts hopping around on the doctors desk gets me every single time.

Also when the stewardess knocks the IV out of the sick kids arm with the guitar handle.

🎶There is only one river, there is only one Sea, there is only one you, and only one meeee🎶🎶🎶

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that if I needed to self-isolate for 2 weeks my playlist would definitely include every disaster movie available.

I think you would need something that makes one's current problems small by comparison, not having to deal with plane crashes, fires, sinking ships, earthquakes or any form of marauding wild life.  Only if my TP and peanut butter and crackers will last.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE (1990) was a Columbia Pictures presentation. 

Besides THE SWARM (1978), Henry Fonda went paycheck-hunting in the awful Italian/U.S. movie TENTACLES (Tentacoli) from '77.  It's nearly as bad as THE SWARM.  Very un-involving and another waste of a good cast.     

 

Wasn't Shelley Winters in that also?

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

She was in TENTACOLI.  The movie had a good cast . . . which went to waste.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

I've never seen it.  Does Shelley get eaten?  (Don't answer if you think it would spoil the movie.) 

 

Image result for tentacles movie shelley winters

Several good meals there! LOL. (I meant Shelley could provide several good meals!)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I just saw the Here's Lucy episode where Lucy becomes Shelley's trainer and diet coach. 

Shelley (as Shelley Summers) needs to lose 15 pounds in two weeks for a movie.

I laughed as much as I did when I first saw it.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roy Cronin said:

Funny, I just saw the Here's Lucy episode where Lucy becomes Shelley's trainer and diet coach. 

Shelley (as Shelley Summers) needs to lose 15 pounds in two weeks for a movie.

I laughed as much as I did when I first saw it.

LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes (SHELLEY WINTERS’ Character gets eaten by an octopus in the movie TENTACLES) a movie book gives it away.

Not as I recall it. Shelley’s character is last seen on a dock reuniting with her (12 YEAR OLD!!) son after a disastrous regatta. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t get eaten. 
I am somewhat ashamed of the fact that I remember that, but seeing a late 70s Shelley Winters being devoured by an octopus in a movie or something I’m pretty goddamt sure I’d remember.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only watched TENTACLES one time; I had (and still have) an aging Vestron Video of it that I bought God-Knows-How-Long-Ago.  I never thought the movie would be that bad.  But it is.  I don't know if Shelley gets eaten in "Tentacoli" or not.  I suppose I could drag out my Vestron tape and dare myself to watch this junk again and find out.  (Or not!)  ;) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I've only watched TENTACLES one time; I had (and still have) an aging Vestron Video of it that I bought God-Knows-How-Long-Ago.  I never thought the movie would be that bad.  But it is.  I don't know if Shelley gets eaten in "Tentacoli" or not.  I suppose I could drag out my Vestron tape and dare myself to watch this junk again and find out.  (Or not!)  ;) 

Since I'd never seen it, I bought the VHS of Tentacles  a couple of years ago from the Hamilton Books catalog. It cost a dollar. I still feel I was ripped off.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I've only watched TENTACLES one time; I had (and still have) an aging Vestron Video of it that I bought God-Knows-How-Long-Ago.  I never thought the movie would be that bad.  But it is.  I don't know if Shelley gets eaten in "Tentacoli" or not.  I suppose I could drag out my Vestron tape and dare myself to watch this junk again and find out.  (Or not!)  ;) 

TENTACLES is also available in full on YouTube.

(I feel that after giving that information, I should also share the number for the national suicide hotline.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It's worth noting that the company that released Tentacles went out of business three years after it was made after turning out another poorly received disaster film, Meteor.

...Now if ever there was a film that could’ve starred Shelley Winters...

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

→ In regards to YouTube and movies I've found some interesting movie nuggets available on YouTube such as the scene from the TV version of 'LOOKER' that explains why the models were killed instead of the viewer having to guess the reason. 

And then there's the 8+ extra minutes from the TV version of the 1980 movie 'ALLIGATOR' uploaded to YT. 

I credit YouTube for my discovery about the existence of a television cut of "Alligator"; I didn't know there *was* a television edit of ALLIGATOR until approx. 4 years ago when I ran across an upload featuring those scenes.  The television version is missing very little compared to the 'regular' theatrical version.  I'd say there's about 30 seconds of footage cut out of the Tv version -- that's it.  I already had a 1985 Lightning Video VHS release of "Alligator" that was the [R]-rated theatrical edition, but I soon found out the obscure 1983 Catalina Video release was the television print with the extra footage.  How CATALINA got hold of a TV print instead of the theatrical version I have no idea . . . but they did and I found a decent Catalina tape shortly thereafter.  It wasn't dirt cheap, but the OCD video collector in me HAD TO have it because the video box was intact and not c/u/t up to fit a plastic case.  

Speaking of METEOR . . . I have a nearly 40-year-old WARNER HOME VIDEO VHS release of "Meteor" in one of those GIANT cardboard boxes Warner used for a couple of years before going to clamshells.  Still need to watch it, though.  I'll get around to it one of these years.  I figure if the videocassette has kept for 39 years without mould it'll last a couple more 'til I get 'round to watching it.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...Now if ever there was a film that could’ve starred Shelley Winters...

And Henry Fonda was in Meteor too! (Thank goodness Jane found On Golden Pond not a minute too soon)

meteor.jpg

I can't believe they had this scene in Meteor. Talk about bad taste: the destruction of the twin towers. Long before the actual horrific event.,

meteor_twin_towers.jpg?w=1000

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shucks, I'd forgotten Henry F. was in "Meteor", too.  Gotta stay busy, tho! 

But, see, that's supposed to be the *fun* parts of Disaster Movies → Stuff getting blown up or burned down and people dying in GRISLY ways! 

Like Jennifer Jones being mangled into a zillion bone fragments in "Towering Inferno".  Poor Lisolette.  At least O.J. SIMPSON had found her cat and gave it to Fred Astaire at the end.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

 

Like Jennifer Jones being mangled into a zillion bone fragments in "Towering Inferno".  Poor Lisolette.  At least O.J. SIMPSON had found her cat and gave it to Fred Astaire at the end.   

She lived in the book......

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Not as I recall it. Shelley’s character is last seen on a dock reuniting with her (12 YEAR OLD!!) son after a disastrous regatta. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t get eaten. 
I am somewhat ashamed of the fact that I remember that, but seeing a late 70s Shelley Winters being devoured by an octopus in a movie or something I’m pretty goddamt sure I’d remember.

HOW DISAPPOINTING! :(  Would think that would've been a GIVEN!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TENTACLES is also available in full on YouTube.

(I feel that after giving that information, I should also share the number for the national suicide hotline.)

Hasn't TCM shown this a few times?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...