Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Only if you're not British. 🙂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Did Alfred Hitchcock have an accent?

Have you tried WATCHING him, and seeing for sure?

"Good Evening"- His old show is on ME-TV at 1:00AM and he introduces each episode.

Uh, JIM-----

Maybe the OP ain't playing.  :(    Anyway.............

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you.  I actually have the complete first and second season on DVD.  It used to be on Netflix too.  But I don’t think it is anymore.  It sounds like he had one.  But I’m not sure.

Oh, and Dave, and JUST for future reference, the guy talking about his encounter with Alfred Hitchcock here, has a New York accent...

I apologize. I wasn't being fair. Hitchcock spent a lot of time here in America, I'm sure. Maybe his accent had diminished in later years. He did have a unique way of talking, so it could be hard to tell if he had an accent or not.

Just now, Rudy's Girl said:

I apologize. I wasn't being fair. Hitchcock spent a lot of time here in America, I'm sure. Maybe his accent had diminished in later years. He did have a unique way of talking, so it could be hard to tell if he had an accent or not.

Then perhaps it could be said he possessed a "Mid-Atlantic" accent instead? And as Cary Grant was often said to have?

I dunno. I'd say Alfred's was still pretty much a British accent.

(...but either way, I'll bet even AFTER Alfred became a U.S. citizen in 1955, he STILL spelled certain words with that OH so needless and unnecessary superfluous letter 'u'!)

How about JOHN McGIVER's accent?  Mid-Atlantic?  He was from Astoria, NY, I believe. 

Also, one could go and watch Alfred Hitchcock's appearance on 'The Dick Cavett Show' in 1972.  It's on YouTube in its entirety if one would like to hear him speak. 

14 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I once knew a young lady who immigrated here from Lithuania in the early '70's.  By the time she became a citizen five years later, we(who knew her) was surprised to learn she was an immigrant as we've never heard a HINT of an accent,  and she never learned English until after she moved here! :o   On the other hand

My Grandfather(on my father's side) immigrated here from Poland in 1905.  He lived here until his death at age 84 in 1982.  And until then maintained an accent thick as wet cement.  As far as JOHN McGIVER'S accent....  Could have been the result from dramatic training.  Recall,  you must have noticed many men and women, obviously American born and raised,  speaking with  clipped British sounding accents in many pre-code and later '30's movies, and some well into the '40's.  And the characters they played in those movies weren't British. 

(Note:)  McGiver was born and raised in Manhattan. NY.

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, David Guercio said:

That’s Mel Brooks.

Well, gotta admit, you nailed that one...Tell him what he's won, Johnny Olson!

9xoNAfz1-WPL_29FgOz4upIRDsz4pPDrx72tWFkm

• Like 1

I’ve only seen some of the trailers of his movies.  But Alfred Hitchcock did all the trailers of his movies right?  That’s neat.

Alfred Hitchcock didn't exist. He was two kids in a trenchcoat. 

• Haha 1

I was just asking.  Because I think it’s so cool that he did the trailers for his movies.  So did he do them all?

59 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I was just asking.  Because I think it’s so cool that he did the trailers for his movies.  So did he do them all?

I don't know. Was Alfred Hitchcock the movie director the same guy that did the TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents?

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:48 PM, Mr. Gorman said:

How about JOHN McGIVER's accent?  Mid-Atlantic?  He was from Astoria, NY, I believe. 

Also, one could go and watch Alfred Hitchcock's appearance on 'The Dick Cavett Show' in 1972.  It's on YouTube in its entirety if one would like to hear him speak. 

jonathan harris also from NYC.

15 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I don't know. Was Alfred Hitchcock the movie director the same guy that did the TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents?

Was he deliberately trying to imitate that guy from the Flintstones?

6913a0e8383ebd380a0bcf57a12e6fd3.jpg

• Haha 1