Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crime/Noir Film with Climax in Newspaper Press Room

Hello, everyone.  New user here.  I've for the past several years been increasingly immersed in noir and crime films, but despite all the films I've found, one still eludes me.  I don't have a name for it, but only a vague plot outline.  Much of the film takes place in the building of a large metropolitan newspaper, and at least some of the crucial scenes, particularly near the end, take place very late at night, and in the part of the building where the printing presses are and where the papers are loaded up to go out into the city early in the morning.  There are a young man and woman involved, though whether either or both of them is a reporter I can't remember.  There may be a kidnapping or attempted kidnapping of a woman involved.  Some criminals -- perhaps criminals in danger of being exposed by the newspaper -- end up chasing down the heroes and trying to finish them off in the printing press room, or something like that.  But it's all vague.  I just remember the moody late-night atmosphere.  I saw it rerun on TV somewhere between about 1966 and 1978, but it struck me as an old-fashioned story even then, and I'd say in retrospect it was a late 1940s or 1950s crime picture.  Probably more crime than noir.  Probably fairly low budget.  I don't remember any obviously big stars in it -- it seems to me that the actors were generic "B" crime actors, rather than big names like Bogart,  Powell, etc.

Dear jamesjazzguitar:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Is this Broderick Crawford suggestion a film you have actually seen?  It's actually a hard film to get and check out; I can find only an expensive European edition in PAL format.  (There is another film called "Scandal Sheet" but it has different actors and plot.)  I wouldn't want to buy it unless you have seen the film and definitely remember the climax in the newspaper press room.

3 hours ago, Old Film Lover said:

Dear jamesjazzguitar:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Is this Broderick Crawford suggestion a film you have actually seen?  It's actually a hard film to get and check out; I can find only an expensive European edition in PAL format.  (There is another film called "Scandal Sheet" but it has different actors and plot.)  I wouldn't want to buy it unless you have seen the film and definitely remember the climax in the newspaper press room.

If it's okay, I will chime in...SCANDAL SHEET (1952) has aired on TCM before. I remember it being included when Donna Reed was Star of the Month. I am sure it will be scheduled again. But james might have seen it on another channel that shows Columbia Pictures more frequently than TCM does.

6 hours ago, Old Film Lover said:

Dear jamesjazzguitar:

I saw the film many years ago and I don't recall the ending.      I made the recommendation mostly based on what I read in the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver) where some of what you mentioned about the film you saw "matched" (e.g.  the two young reporters).   

On 3/13/2020 at 1:45 PM, TopBilled said:

Yeah, that's a good guess. PARK ROW is currently on Amazon Prime.

Thanks again.  No, it's not Park Row, which I just watched recently.  Park Row is set in the 19th century, and is about a 19th century newspaper pioneer.  This movie I'm talking about is set in the times the film was made, i.e., 20th century USA, late 30s at the earliest.  I'm guessing the film was made between 1938 and 1960, from what I remember of the visual style, the acting, the plot, etc.  Most likely the late 1940s or 1950s.

Thanks to all for the information that Scandal Sheet has aired on TCM.  I will check out that angle.  But still not sure that's the film.

• Like 1