Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

will "streamed" series disappear? Or, go to DVDs someday?

Help!  I don't have a streaming service, and never will.
But I hate to think that all the "streamed" series will be impossible to see!

Most importantly, the  controversial one making headlines right now, HUNTERS.

Any experts know if they will, someday, be available to everyone in dvd format?

thanks !!!

Since the move is decidedly away from DVDs (and cable and dish) I really doubt it.  It's Amazon, right?  Even if you hate streaming, I know I use Amazon for getting stuff fast (free ship), free books to download and all my music is free...the prime video is just icing (although I do like Mrs. Maisel, and it's nice to have some old favorites like Monk, Psych, and That Girl easy to stream).   I'm no expert, but the move to streaming live and on demand is just getting stronger, so going back to dvd probably wouldn't pay off for the producers, and that's the (literal) bottom line. 

Thanks so much for your reply.

Big losers are the directors, crew, and most importantly, the STARS of these "dissolving" features.

Sorry, Al Pacino, we want to view your artistry in years, decades,  to come (or even THIS year), but corporate profits come first, I guess.

At least we have Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers-FOREVER!

On 3/4/2020 at 3:04 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

Help!  I don't have a streaming service, and never will.
But I hate to think that all the "streamed" series will be impossible to see!

Most importantly, the  controversial one making headlines right now, HUNTERS.

Any experts know if they will, someday, be available to everyone in dvd format?

thanks !!!

Despite the repeated insistence that physical media is dead, DVD's and Blu-rays are still being produced, and it is still a multi-billion dollar business. 

Some streaming-service originals have been released on disc, including shows and movies produced by Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, and Amazon. However, not everything is being released on disc, and how each service decides what is released on disc and what isn't seems arbitrary. Several of the CBS All Access shows are on disc, such as Star Trek: DiscoveryThe Good Fight, and the new Twilight Zone. As far as Amazon Prime originals, Jack Ryan is available on disc, but not other high profile shows like The Man in the High CastleBosch, or The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

I would expect that many of the best-known original series and films may remain streaming-only, as a way to incentivize potential customers to sign up for their services and maintain that membership in perpetuity. 

It's likely that more and more new shows and films, even those not especially made for a streaming company, will be held by their respective rights-holders for use on their own streaming services. Comcast/NBC/Universal has their own streaming site starting later this year, as does Warner Media. When they stop releasing new theatrical features on disc, then the end will truly be near for physical media.

1 hour ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Thanks so much for your reply.

Big losers are the directors, crew, and most importantly, the STARS of these "dissolving" features.

Sorry, Al Pacino, we want to view your artistry in years, decades,  to come (or even THIS year), but corporate profits come first, I guess.

At least we have Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers-FOREVER!

What does streaming have to do with viewing any of those actors' movies? 

50 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

What does streaming have to do with viewing any of those actors' movies? 

57 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

orry, Al Pacino, we want to view your artistry in years, decades

Well, if you don't want to use an android app, you can just go to a site like hdflex and stream 35 Al Pacino films....don't worry about Al, he'll be on servers when we're all long gone...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks for your input.

But I am only ever going to watch the FREE broadcast MOVIES! channel,  or see films/tv-series which are on DVD.

Just have to miss: "Hunters", Al!