Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Daily Rant (TCM or Movie Related Only!)

This topic has been created for you to rant at will regarding some specific issue going on at TCM.  Hosts, programming, commercials. Rant away!

My Wednesday Rant:

Is it my imagination or does TCM air WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? all the time? It airs almost as often as CASABLANCA but at least that's a great film. Give "Baby Jane" a rest guys! We get it  --  Bette and Joan hated each other and it's fun to watch.

Joe G.

Sorry to see so little enthusiasm generated so far on this topic, which might be fun. I don't have much to contribute, though. I think I'm generally less unhappy with TCM then most people who post on here. But who knows what might irk me in the future?

• Like 1

Well, in that case sewhite, what say we drum up a little business for Joe here...

ATTENTION: MISINFORMED! ATTENTION: MISINFORMED!!!

A NEW THREAD IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE PERUSAL AND USE!

(...but please be a little more forthcoming with the specifics of your complaints in this one, if you will...well, if you CAN anyway!)

• Haha 2

I don't know the frequency of Baby Jane airings over time, but they almost certainly increased after that 2017 Ryan Murphy FX mini-series stimulated the curiosity of a lot of people who probably weren't studio-era movie fans. TCM claims to pay no attention to ratings, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind more casual tune-ins catching some Wine Club and Backlot and auction and cruise ads. I suspect the Baby Jane airings will "normalize" over the next few years.

3 hours ago, lydecker said:

Oh, I've got plenty to rant about but more often than not, it's not about movies (or TCM.)  However, I'm always good for a "Wine Club" rant or two.

Same here.     While I don't have a daily rant,  I have do have the same-old-rant:     that TCM would try to lease more films from outside the so called Turner library of films.

But hey last night I saw a film I had never seen before:  Bright Lights (1935)  Warner Bros;      While I can only take so much of Joe E. Brown,    I'm a fan of Ann Dvorak,  so it is always nice to see her.  

Ann Dvorak.jpg

• Like 4

This is not a rant but more of a request.  I, too, have grown sick and tired of seeing the TCM Wine/Cruise/Backlot promotions.  I understand you have to pay to lease films and TCM is trying to be fiscally wise and thrifty but I remember in the early days of TCM you would treated with a "One Reel Wonder" after watching a feature film.  It was great to see the feature film and then after a couple or so promotions a "One Reel Wonder" would take us close to the starting time for the next film.      

It would be great to see an equal ratio of TCM Wine/Cruise/Backlot promotions countered with the "One Reel Wonder" films.  Right now I believe the ratio of Wine/Cruise/Backlot promotions to short films is about 80% to 20% in favor of the Wine/Cruise/Backlot promotions.  I understand the Wine/Cruise/Backlot promotions bring much needed money to TCM but it would be nice to have more short films scheduled to even out the overplayed TCM Wine/Backlot/Cruise promotions which are now scheduled to play after every film.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, lydecker said:

However, I'm always good for a "Wine Club" rant or two.

I'm in.  Can we have a dedicated thread for that?  Although I have to say I'm relieved not to have seen an ad in over a month. So I'm hoping that phase is over... Wonder what the next scam, I mean TCM venture will be?

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

I'm in.  Can we have a dedicated thread for that?  Although I have to say I'm relieved not to have seen an ad in over a month. So I'm hoping that phase is over... Wonder what the next scam, I mean TCM venture will be?

I think that the Warner Brothers Studio Tour promo has subsumed the Wine Club promo since Warner Media now owns TCM.  Frankly, I'd rather see somebody promoting tours of the WB lot than hawking wine which has "movie star" labels no doubt slapped over undrinkable swill.  Hmm . . ."Undrinkable Swill."  Perhaps that could be a new topic for the message boards . . . 

I don't care enough about any of the promos or scheduling to complain.

I just see what's on, DVR what interests me, ignore what doesn't.  Each month is basically the same for me. I have more than enough to watch. 

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't know the frequency of Baby Jane airings over time, but they almost certainly increased after that 2017 Ryan Murphy FX mini-series stimulated the curiosity of a lot of people who probably weren't studio-era movie fans. TCM claims to pay no attention to ratings, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind more casual tune-ins catching some Wine Club and Backlot and auction and cruise ads. I suspect the Baby Jane airings will "normalize" over the next few years.

One can only hope.

3 hours ago, lydecker said:

I think that the Warner Brothers Studio Tour promo has subsumed the Wine Club promo since Warner Media now owns TCM.  Frankly, I'd rather see somebody promoting tours of the WB lot than hawking wine which has "movie star" labels no doubt slapped over undrinkable swill.  Hmm . . ."Undrinkable Swill."  Perhaps that could be a new topic for the message boards . . . 

"Undrinkable SWILL"???

Why, I'll have you know here lydecker that just last month that Pinot Noir I received from TCM's wine club helped me get through my twentieth or so viewing of North by Northwest on this channel!!!

(...and by the time Cary and Eva's train went through that tunnel, I was feelin' no pain at ALL, thank you very much!)

;)

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

"Undrinkable SWILL"???

Why, I'll have you know here lydecker that just last month that Pinot Noir I received from TCM's wine club helped me get through my twentieth or so viewing of North by Northwest on this channel!!!

(...and by the time Cary and Eva's train went through that tunnel, I was feelin' no pain at ALL, thank you very much!)

;)

Whatever works.  

13 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Whatever works.  

Yep! That's what I always say, alright.

And so guess I don't need to mention here how that bottle of Cappola's Cabernet Sauvignon was just the perfect accompaniment to the last time I sat and watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane on this old movie channel, huh. Although at the time, I vaguely remember thinking a nice Chardonnay might have gone a bit better with it.

(...as I recall, it was just about the time Joan opens up her serving tray to see that dead rodent sitting on her plate)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

And so guess I don't need to mention here how that bottle of Cappola's Cabernet Sauvignon was just the perfect accompaniment to the last time I sat and watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane on this old movie channel, huh. Although at the time, I vaguely remember thinking a nice Chardonnay might have gone a bit better with it.

(...as I recall, it was just about the time Joan opens up her serving tray to see that dead rodent sitting on her plate)

Funny how we sometimes think alike:    I was about to reply that I love watching the scene where Bette serves Joan that serving tray because it is good while-watching-dinner T.V. scene.

Then I saw your post!     The next time I see that I'll make sure to have a nice Cabernet with a juice rib-eye steak.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Or perhaps some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, lydecker said:

Appropriately, "undrinkable swill" sounds like something Waldo Lydecker would say !

• Like 1

My complaint about TCM may be an unfair one, since what I'm about to complain about might be beyond their control.  Also, full disclosure, I've already complained about this particular thing here on these boards many times, I even started a thread about it once.

IT'S THAT   "RIGHTS" thing  !!!    You Americans have no idea how fortunate you are, never having to worry whether an upcoming film scheduled on TCM that you really want to see will be "blocked" and you won't get to see it after all.  This business of blocking certain movies in Canada has been going on a long time, and it is extremely frustrating.

It seems incredible to me that the tangled web around the rights /ownership  of classic films, some of them so old you can't believe much money can be made from them no matter who owns them,  has still never been unravelled.

However, as I said at the start of this post, I do not know what would be involved in resolving the "rights" issues -- maybe it's outside TCM's power to do anything about it.  (But I suspect they never even bother to look into it.  Oh well, the staff at TCM does not owe it to Canadian audiences to spend their precious time and resources researching such a complicated project.)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

My complaint about TCM may be an unfair one, since what I'm about to complain about might be beyond their control.  Also, full disclosure, I've already complained about this particular thing here on these boards many times, I even started a thread about it once.

IT'S THAT   "RIGHTS" thing  !!!    You Americans have no idea how fortunate you are, never having to worry whether an upcoming film scheduled on TCM that you really want to see will be "blocked" and you won't get to see it after all.  This business of blocking certain movies in Canada has been going on a long time, and it is extremely frustrating.

It seems incredible to me that the tangled web around the rights /ownership  of classic films, some of them so old you can't believe much money can be made from them no matter who owns them,  has still never been unravelled.

However, as I said at the start of this post, I do not know what would be involved in resolving the "rights" issues -- maybe it's outside TCM's power to do anything about it.  (But I suspect they never even bother to look into it.  Oh well, the staff at TCM does not owe it to Canadian audiences to spend their precious time and resources researching such a complicated project.)

Your complaint here MissW, has reminded me of a small one I've always had about TCM...well, actually more about their forum here.

It's always seemed to me that these boards have been treated somewhat as the "ugly stepchild" or as the forgotten part of their internet media division, as other than someone acting in a moderator capacity and their correcting of our use of the more provocative language we may use in our posts, any other involvement with us, say in communicating the reasons and giving us the specifics of why some films can not be shown in Canada and as you brought up here, are never communicated to us on these boards.

Another example of this would be in how at the end of Eddie Muller's out-tros, he never mentions these forums in which to further discuss the movies he's presented, but only instead brings up Facebook and Twitter and such.

Nope, it's like we, perhaps some of their most ardent of supporters, have  been regulated out to the "South Forty" to play amongst ourselves.

(...and my guess has always been that forum boards such this are now considered too "old school" to care about by the corporate types)

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Your complaint here MissW, has reminded me of a small one I've always had about TCM...well, actually more about their forum here.

It's always seemed to me that these boards have been treated somewhat as the "ugly stepchild" or as the forgotten part of their internet media division, as other than someone acting in a moderator capacity and their correcting of our use of the more provocative language we may use in our posts, any other involvement with us, say in communicating the reasons and giving us the specifics of why some films can not be shown in Canada and as you brought up here, are never communicated to us on these boards.

Another example of this would be in how at the end of Eddie Muller's out-tros, he never mentions these forums in which to further discuss the movies he's presented, but only instead brings up Facebook and Twitter and such.

Nope, it's like we, perhaps some of their most ardent of supporters, have  been regulated out to the "South Forty" to play amongst ourselves.

(...and my guess has always been that forum boards such this are now considered too "old school" to care about by the corporate types)

IMDb dropped their forums years ago, because it became such a hassle for them to police them against personal attacks, etc.  I was active over there until they dropped them.  That's when I came over to the TCM forums.  I preferred IMDb's setup, though, since each title had it's own set of forum topics.

4 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

IMDb dropped their forums years ago, because it became such a hassle for them to police them against personal attacks, etc.  I was active over there until they dropped them.  That's when I came over to the TCM forums.  I preferred IMDb's setup, though, since each title had it's own set of forum topics.

Yep, I remember those days too, Tex. I don't recall ever registering there in order to participate, but I do remember occasionally seeing a flame war going on within the various comment sections to each movie.

(...and as I recall, there was no "General Discussion" forum over there and as there is here, correct?)

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, I remember those days too, Tex. I don't recall ever registering there in order to participate, but I do remember occasionally seeing a flame war going on within the various comment sections to each movie.

(...and as I recall, there was no "General Discussion" forum over there and as there is here, correct?)

I think there were - lots of political stuff IIRC - but it's been too long for me to be completely sure.  I never frequented anything other title/people-specific topics.