Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Daily Rant (TCM or Movie Related Only!)

Forums require interaction, but there is nobody over there interacting.  So I suppose if you want to get through to them, it would follow you should create an account at one of their revered "social media" sites and force them into damage control mode... (be willing to play around with their crappy corporate SOP and so forth - it is nothing personal)

The very best forums I have ever seen have the board owners/moderators participating as registered users in discussions and everyone uses their real names.  They tend to be small communities, though this forum is a what I would also consider to be a small community, so that is no excuse.  That is what I have found most frustrating about visiting this site.  Some here would clean up nicely, others not so much.

While some have chased trends and shifted over to "social media" types of sites (where ironically real names are used more often), they are no replacement for a proper forum, so as long as the forum is alive and well kept, the base users inevitably come back.  "Social Media" is ephemeral at best, try using those as a resource to research or annotate anything.  It is enough of a joke that some actually use Wikipedia as a source.  "Social Media" is more of a selective memory hole, but just not your selective memory hole.  If nothing else, they have done a remarkable job at deceiving their users that they are in control of their own information...oh yeah, and at advertising.

I don't buy into the thoughts that Amazon/IMDB didn't have the resources to continue their forum.  It would seem more practical to me that they didn't have the stomach to police their forum.  Well guys, with respect comes sales.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

IT'S THAT   "RIGHTS" thing  !!!    You Americans have no idea how fortunate you are, never having to worry whether an upcoming film scheduled on TCM that you really want to see will be "blocked" and you won't get to see it after all

Still happens in America. Every month, someone comes on here and lists all the movies originally on the schedule that were subsequently dropped prior to airing.

I don't personally recall any sort of general discussions thread on  imdb, just people posting on individual movie threads, though I may not have really known all the nuances to navigating it. My personal impression is imdb decided to end their message boards after all the vitriol and flame wars generated primarily by the use of a competent female protagonist in The Force Awakens some five years ago. I said as much on here at the time and was instantly challenged by at least one angry skeptic, maybe more.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't personally recall any sort of general discussions thread on  imdb, just people posting on individual movie threads, though I may not have really known all the nuances to navigating it. My personal impression is imdb decided to end their message boards after all the vitriol and flame wars generated primarily by the use of a competent female protagonist in The Force Awakens some five years ago. I said as much on here at the time and was instantly challenged by at least one angry skeptic, maybe more.

I think for most, anything on the old IMDB forum not directly related to a title or a person would have fallen through the cracks.  By visually parsing the conversations on their forums, one could actually find real information.  Basically like Wikipedia except any war gaming was more naked to the eye and without the bureaucratic "memory holing".  Other than juvenile flame wars, everything remained available for the objective reader to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

There was a section that had many discussion threads, divided into sections much like this website, but much larger. And that's besides all of the comment threads on the film/show pages and performer/crew pages. I only posted in there once (in their version of the "Information" section, trying to find a movie title), but it was very active with hundreds of posts a day. There was also a large Off-Topic section that makes our Off-Topics seem like a Sunday picnic.

Not having been a user of those general discussion forums, I didn't mind their disappearance, but I did enjoy the specific film and performer comment sections, as they often provided a lot of interesting info.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

There was a section that had many discussion threads, divided into sections much like this website, but much larger. And that's besides all of the comment threads on the film/show pages and performer/crew pages. I only posted in there once (in their version of the "Information" section, trying to find a movie title), but it was very active with hundreds of posts a day. There was also a large Off-Topic section that makes our Off-Topics seem like a Sunday picnic.

Not having been a user of those general discussion forums, I didn't mind their disappearance, but I did enjoy the specific film and performer comment sections, as they often provided a lot of interesting info.

4 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Forums require interaction, but there is nobody over there interacting.  So I suppose if you want to get through to them, it would follow you should create an account at one of their revered "social media" sites and force them into damage control mode... (be willing to play around with their crappy corporate SOP and so forth - it is nothing personal)

The very best forums I have ever seen have the board owners/moderators participating as registered users in discussions and everyone uses their real names.  They tend to be small communities, though this forum is a what I would also consider to be a small community, so that is no excuse.  That is what I have found most frustrating about visiting this site.  Some here would clean up nicely, others not so much.

While some have chased trends and shifted over to "social media" types of sites (where ironically real names are used more often), they are no replacement for a proper forum, so as long as the forum is alive and well kept, the base users inevitably come back.  "Social Media" is ephemeral at best, try using those as a resource to research or annotate anything.  It is enough of a joke that some actually use Wikipedia as a source.  "Social Media" is more of a selective memory hole, but just not your selective memory hole.  If nothing else, they have done a remarkable job at deceiving their users that they are in control of their own information...oh yeah, and at advertising.

I don't buy into the thoughts that Amazon/IMDB didn't have the resources to continue their forum.  It would seem more practical to me that they didn't have the stomach to police their forum.  Well guys, with respect comes sales.

I used to be a poster back in the day there in the last few years they were up (they closed in 2017, reportedly over controversies involving internet trolls, political taunts, and charges of racism about the low ratings for several high profile black-themed films), mostly on the Movie Awards (formerly Oscar buzz) forum, but also occasionally posted on the classic film forum. I also posted a few times on individual film forums. Most of the individual film forums have been archived and they fascinating to run through. Just go here if you're interested, and type the name of the film you want to look up in the search box: https://www.filmboards.com/

• Thanks 2
9 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I do not know what would be involved in resolving the "rights" issues -- maybe it's outside TCM's power to do anything about it.

Reportedly TCM's corporate parents played a role in resolving the rights issues around Night Flight (1933)  and The Constant Nymph (1943).  However, that was before the AT&T acquisition, and who knows if they now have the budget or appetite for dealing with rightsholders or complicated ownership issues.

And now a rant: Why WHY WHY can't Silent Sunday Nights show anything outside of a limited and frequently repeated list of titles, or certain African-American-themed films? Looking at you, Jacqueline Stewart.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

And now a rant: Why WHY WHY can't Silent Sunday Nights show anything outside of a limited and frequently repeated list of titles, or certain African-American-themed films? Looking at you, Jacqueline Stewart.

Totally agree.  Mostly I think they are just phoning in Silent Sunday.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Ask and you shall receive:

This coming Sunday evening Silent Sunday Nights is featuring the TCM premiere of the Josephine Baker film Siren of the Tropics (1927).

Also to be fair Jacqueline Stewart hosted the TCM premiere of the silent film Beauty's Worth (1922) back in December.  With a much more limited pool of silent films to choose from it has got to be more difficult for TCM to schedule such premieres.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My complaint is about the Saturday morning line up. Two or three years ago, maybe more, we had a thread going here about what we'd like to see on Saturdays. Tarzan pictures at noon. (They came through with that.) Mystery movies, shorts, serial, and cartoons.  (We got them.) Things were going along pretty well, but the fodder they've been showing the past couple of months stinks. Now I happen to like the Bowery Boys, but weeks and weeks of them - not so much. The serial they're currently running is horrible. The morning movie before the serial stinks.  What happened?

I want to see Boston B l a c k i e, Charlie Chan, Abbott & Costello. Throw in a Nancy Drew once in a while. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the old BOB STEELE western serials either.  ;)

Sepiatone

Yes, that would be fine. They were running a lot of westerns at one point.  They ran a bunch of Tim Holt westerns that were enjoyable. 

Personally I have never cared for the Bowery Boys.

What I would like to see is a variety of offerings.  For example crime/mystery movie followed by a Western or maybe some other action type movie.  Could put a serial and/or cartoons in between.

But, not the same star(s) every Saturday as they are doing now.

I used to watch Starzencore(westerns) on Saturdays and Sundays because they showed a variety of Western short movies, such as Gene Autry.  But they quit that and now it is Hopalong Cassidy or Audie Murphy.  Two actors I really can't take.  Ironically when I was a kid I had a Hopalong Cassidy mug.  Hours and hours of Cassidy and Murphy.

I wish TCM would put to rest some of the star biographies that are shown all the time in between movies. The Kirk Douglas one (narrated by his son) is understandable because he recently passed but that one along with others are played all the time. TCM needs to dust more of their vault stuff off. The Lawrence Tierney feature shown earlier this year was a pleasant surprise.

20 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

While on this Sunday night subject, the Imports are also usually "art films" of Godard, Ozu and the like which is certainly great but I would like to see more giallo, kung fu and action stuff. 

23 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

My favorite threads on IMDB were the "what I learned from this movie" ones where they would poke fun at tropes and cliches in the movie. 

21 hours ago, TheCid said:

Personally I have never cared for the Bowery Boys.

What I would like to see is a variety of offerings.  For example crime/mystery movie followed by a Western or maybe some other action type movie.  Could put a serial and/or cartoons in between.

But, not the same star(s) every Saturday as they are doing now.

I used to watch Starzencore(westerns) on Saturdays and Sundays because they showed a variety of Western short movies, such as Gene Autry.  But they quit that and now it is Hopalong Cassidy or Audie Murphy.  Two actors I really can't take.  Ironically when I was a kid I had a Hopalong Cassidy mug.  Hours and hours of Cassidy and Murphy.

Well, like the THREE STOOGES, I liked the Bowery Boys up to a certain age('bout 12 or so) and then figured I'd had enough.  and lie the Stooges, still have no desire to see them anymore.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
23 hours ago, vidorisking said:

I wish TCM would put to rest some of the star biographies that are shown all the time in between movies. The Kirk Douglas one (narrated by his son) is understandable because he recently passed but that one along with others are played all the time. TCM needs to dust more of their vault stuff off. The Lawrence Tierney feature shown earlier this year was a pleasant surprise.

Amen to that!!! I would kill to see a star bio that had not been played 100 times before!  How about getting someone like Tom Hanks to salute a classic movie star? But it doesn't have to be a celebrity doing the voice over.  A salute's a salute!  It's been ages since they produced anything knew.  Also, they have multiples on some stars (both Cher and Anthony Hopkins salute Katharine Hepburn, both Tony Curtis and Michael Caine salute Cary Grant) while there are some stars that have never been profiled.  When they have a guests on with the regular hosts (thinking of Julie Andrews specifically) why don't they have that guest (or star) do a voice over for a classic star bio?  Who knows?  Maybe Julie A. was just wild about Leslie Howard . . .or George Sanders . . .or ???

On 3/7/2020 at 5:17 PM, Gershwin fan said:

My favorite threads on IMDB were the "what I learned from this movie" ones where they would poke fun at tropes and cliches in the movie. 

Oh, there's a dandy thread over there about the Day the Earth Stood Still. 

• Like 1
On 3/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, Gershwin fan said:

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Oh, there's a dandy thread over there about the Day the Earth Stood Still. 

I remember that thread over there too Janet, and also thought it was hilarious, with a lot of clever thoughts submitted to it.

(...I could be wrong, but I also seem to recall someone here on these boards had started a similar one years ago)

40 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I remember that thread over there too Janet, and also thought it was hilarious, with a lot of clever thoughts submitted to it.

(...I could be wrong, but I also seem to recall someone here on these boards had started a similar one years ago)

I actually copied and pasted the thread to a word document and pull it up every once in a while for laughs.

• Like 1