Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

19 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

[alleged premiere, in schedule limbo, double-booked with Shut My Big Mouth]

I don't really know what this means. It was scheduled, then dropped? Different movies are listed on different websites for the same time slot?

16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This is one of the Brown-Canova collaborations I referenced earlier in the thread. It's a spy comedy produced by Republic Pictures. The studio re-teamed Joe E. Brown and Judy Canova a year later for CHATTERBOX (1943), another film that has never aired on TCM. 

I looked up Daring Young Man (1942) on the TCMDB site, and they happened to have a little something about it.
(an odd case where TCMDB has something that IMDB doesn't)   

Similar story to Joan Of Ozark (1942).  For a moment, just going by description, I almost thought it was the same movie.

Daring Young Man (1942)
[Produced by: Robert Sparks]

Synopsis:In spite of being rejected by the draft, Jonathan Peckinpaw (Joe E. Brown) becomes a war hero by capturing a Nazi spy ring in New York.

Cast: Joe Brown, Margaurite Chapman
Dir: Frank Strayer

Joan Of Ozark (1942)

Produced by: Harriet Parsons - During World War II, a yodeling hillbilly singer goes undercover to expose a ring of Nazi spies operating in the United States.
Directed by  Joseph Santley
Stars: Judy Canova, Joe E. Brown

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't really know what this means. It was scheduled, then dropped? Different movies are listed on different websites for the same time slot?

This.  Maybe someone here who is actually into the "social media" thing can share/repost my linked image here up to their Twitter account so someone at TCM actually notices it.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202020-03-07%2023-50-34.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I looked up Daring Young Man (1942) on the TCMDB site, and they happened to have a little something about it.
(an odd case where TCMDB has something that IMDB doesn't)   

Similar story to Joan Of Ozark (1942).  For a moment, just going by description, I almost thought it was the same movie.

Daring Young Man (1942)
[Produced by: Robert Sparks]

Synopsis:In spite of being rejected by the draft, Jonathan Peckinpaw (Joe E. Brown) becomes a war hero by capturing a Nazi spy ring in New York.

Cast: Joe Brown, Margaurite Chapman
Dir: Frank Strayer

Joan Of Ozark (1942)

Produced by: Harriet Parsons - During World War II, a yodeling hillbilly singer goes undercover to expose a ring of Nazi spies operating in the United States.
Directed by  Joseph Santley
Stars: Judy Canova, Joe E. Brown

The key difference is the studio. DARING YOUNG MAN was a Columbia release; JOAN OF OZARK was a Republic picture. Also, Judy Canova is really the lead in JOAN OF OZARK; it is her character that brings down the Nazi spy ring.

Haha I remember Judy Tenuta!

Judy Canova was primarily successful on radio.

hqdefault.jpg

Her daughter Diana followed in Mom's footsteps as the voice actor for Peanut's "Lucy".

We got to see her pretty face in '77 on TV's SOAP 

im_a_big_girl_now_2_.JPG

• Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Haha I remember Judy Tenuta!

Judy Canova was primarily successful on radio.

hqdefault.jpg

Her daughter Diana followed in Mom's footsteps as the voice actor for Peanut's "Lucy".

We got to see her pretty face in '77 on TV's SOAP 

im_a_big_girl_now_2_.JPG

The second photo you included above is from Diana's 1980-81 sitcom I'm a Big Girl Now which featured Danny Thomas as her father. Diana sings the opening theme song.

In fact Diana has a very beautiful singing voice, though much different in style from her famous mom. In 1978 Diana and Judy appeared on a Mother's Day episode of Dinah Shore's talk show. And they performed a classic country/hillbilly tune.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Web50 said:

So, just checking.  Was Beware Spooks (39) shown or has it been re-scheduled anyone know?

Not shown and not rescheduled, as of yet. 

The original listing on the TCM schedule had the Joe E Brown block scheduled from 8:pm to 9:00am (followed by War Nurse), with no overlapping titles.  Beware Spooks was scheduled for 8:00pm and Shut My Big Mouth was scheduled for 9:30pm.  End of block was Broadminded, scheduled for 7:30am.

Current listing has the entire block from 8:00pm through 7:14am.  Two irrelevant out-of-block entries were inserted between Broadminded (6:00am) and War Nurse (9:00am) - Born To Fight and Born To Love.   The entire block was displaced backwards, eliminating the time slot formerly occupied by Beware Spooks, though it was not removed from the online web schedule (that's the price for them always ignoring these stupid forums).

As of now, no further actions have been noted on Beware Spooks.