Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Publisher cancels Woody Allen memoir amid backlash

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Olympia Press will gladly publish Woody's book.  

In all seriousness hopefully some publisher,   even if it has to be a foreign one,   will publish the book.

They would certainly publish his book in France. And he could always self-publish.

I for one, would like to hear what he has to say and he certainly has a right to his own freedom of speech.

I think he's an extraordinary cinematic artist, and I've enjoyed his work over the years, but I would never put him in the same category with a genius like Roman Polanski.

As far as individual works of art being banned because the artist is a criminal or controversial is nothing new in history.

Everyone and anyone listens to Wagner now, but it wasn't always the case here, and it wasn't certainly always the case in Israel.

And Celine is even being lauded in France and read in the textbooks.

The art endures, even if the artist was a world-class jerk.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

...And Celine is even being lauded in France and read in the textbooks.

Wow! Hadn't heard SHE had put HER foot in her mouth at all, Princess?!

Nope, just that her singing has always given me a headache, anyway!

(...oh...wait...different "Celine" here, huh...sorry, never mind...BUT, seein' as how I brought HER up here and not the male French author...has anyone here but me ever thought she looks like Ruth Buzzi?...well, I always have, anyway)  ;)

• Haha 1

Moses Farrow, in a 2018 essay titled "A Son Speaks Out," sided with Allen and painted a very different picture of Mia as a mother.  I have no idea what really happened but it is a very sad situation all around.

15 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Moses Farrow, in a 2018 essay titled "A Son Speaks Out," sided with Allen and painted a very different picture of Mia as a mother.  I have no idea what really happened but it is a very sad situation all around.

Yes, I read that essay and thought Moses stated his case very very well about his mother.

Yep, that part about when she'd become displeased with him for something and then her constantly threatening to cast him to the bulrushes was ESPECIALLY telling, I thought.

(...what, crickets again???...man, tough crowd tonight)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Celine was a notorious anti-Semite, but he was never accused of child molestation. Plus

he's a better writer than Woody Allen.  :)

Everything You Wanted To Know About Dating Teenage Girls, But Were Afraid To Ask.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The relationship between Woody and Ronan is an interesting one. Imagine if someone made a movie about that.

If they made a movie, it should only be of the trial and scandal and leave it to the viewer to decide what happened instead of slandering people with unproven claims.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The tendency to compare the two is understandable, but a mistake, in my opinion. Polanski admitted to what he did, and is still an active fugitive from justice. Allen has always denied the charges against him, and court proceedings have exonerated him, although obviously not to the extent necessary for some people to accept it.

The victim did say she forgave Polanski though. He should be allowed back to the US.

• Like 2

I have to tell a little story here.

Last week I was at a convention and in the hotel lobby some people were introducing themselves to each other. One person's last name was Keaton. And this caused someone else to say "oh you mean like the movie star." She meant Michael Keaton, but someone else said "Diane Keaton?" These were young adults, in their late 20s to early 30s. Most of them seemed to know who Michael Keaton was but not who Diane Keaton was.

So. I said "Diane Keaton was in a bunch of Woody Allen films." And then they all knew who Diane Keaton was. That's because they all know who Woody Allen is and they've seen a lot of his movies.

34 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Celine was a notorious anti-Semite, but he was never accused of child molestation. 

Yes, but did HE look like Ruth Buzzi TOO???

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

They would certainly publish his book in France. And he could always self-publish.

I for one, would like to hear what he has to say and he certainly has a right to his own freedom of speech.

I think he's an extraordinary cinematic artist, and I've enjoyed his work over the years, but I would never put him in the same category with a genius like Roman Polanski.

As far as individual works of art being banned because the artist is a criminal or controversial is nothing new in history.

Everyone and anyone listens to Wagner now, but it wasn't always the case here, and it wasn't certainly always the case in Israel.

And Celine is even being lauded in France and read in the textbooks.

Ironically Wagner was Theodor Herzl's favorite composer making his ban in Israel even more ludicrous. :lol: 

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Ironically Wagner was Theodor Herzl's favorite composer making his ban in Israel even more ludicrous. :lol: 

So, you're sayin' Theodor couldn't have a nice boy like that Felix Mendelsohn OR at the very least one of those OTHER nice Mendelsohn boys for his favorite composer HERE?!

OY! Vat's the vorld comin' to I ask?!!!

(...sorry, my Yiddish accent is a bit rusty of late)

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Fortunately, no. Of course he didn't have her comic timing.

Pedophilia on the Installment Plan. :o

misswonderly3 seems to be confused with the pigeon.

"Rat with wings" is happy with book cancellation because Woody called them that.

(I thought everyone knew that  :lol:)

A joke is no longer funny if it has to be explained.....Jay Leno

14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think he's an extraordinary cinematic artist, and I've enjoyed his work over the years, but I would never put him in the same category with a genius like Roman Polanski......

....As far as individual works of art being banned because the artist is a criminal or controversial is nothing new in history.

I actually welcome the opportunity to slighty veer the direction of this thread, if only for a post or two, towards Woody Allen as an artist  (as opposed to Woody Allen as an alleged pervert.)

So,  I too would never put Woody Allen in the same category as Roman Polanski.  Because Allen is the "genius". I'd completely turn Princess' statement around, and posit that while Roman Polanski is "an extraordinary cinematic artist" who has produced some great work over the decades, it's Woody Allen who is to be regarded as the "genius", the "great artist".   I reversed Princess' comments about the two fimmakers.

If one were to compile a list of the greatest film directors living today, Woody Allen would definitely be in the top ten;  Polanski, maybe the top twenty.   But then, I find the numbers thing when it comes to rating art somewhat obnoxious and vague, so perhaps for me it's more accurate to just say,  Woody Allen has produced more great films than Mr. Polanski.  And unlike a lot of Roman Polanski's movies, most of Woody Allen's are not only wise and smart and funny and insightful, they make you feel good.

ps:  regarding that other statement,   "As far as individual works of art being banned because the artist is a criminal or controversial is nothing new in history"   of course it's nothing new, but it's been ramped up beyond comparison in the past few years, due to social media and much more awareness around the crimes, alleged or real, of popular artists.  "Cancel Culture" is a thing in a way it simply wasn't in the years you're referring to.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, hamradio said:

misswonderly3 seems to be confused with the pigeon.

"Rat with wings" is happy with book cancellation because Woody called them that.

(I thought everyone knew that  :lol:)

A joke is no longer funny if it has to be explained.....Jay Leno

Ok, ham, but I'm still confused as to your earlier post.  Are you saying you're glad the publication of Woody's book is being cancelled?  I think that's what you were saying. The "confused" emoji I showed was to indicate that I'm not exactly sure where you stand on the whole  hatred for Woody Allen thing, and, if you are happy his book is being cancelled, I'd like to know why.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Celine looked more like actor TIM ROTH after one long lost weekend.  ;)  And would be funnier if that anti-semite( or ANY anti-semite) more resembled GOLDA MEIR. ;) 

As for Woody's book, -----

In today's job market, the publisher would have had no problem replacing those employees who walked out., which too, in today's job market, is a dumb thing to do.  Having principles and integrity might seem honorable, but most landlords, mortgage holders and grocers won't accept one's integrity for payment.   And principles won't pay the light or heat bills.  And if a self published Woody Allen memoir makes a ton of money, that would be another reason for the publisher(whom I suspect is in business to make money) to don the "self kicking" boots. 

Sepiatone

Let's say Woody Allen self-publishes, or else gets an international printing company to publish the autobiography for him.

It will obviously be a bestseller, since the publicity that is surrounding it is already great due to him losing the previous deal. Plus people want to read his version of events regarding the ongoing Farrow family drama. Not to mention, the considerable focus he will put on his films and the creation of his films.

I guess the question becomes this-- will the eventual publication of the book cause a huge backlash from the MeToo crowd? Meaning that any subsequent motion pictures he makes will flop. Perhaps he's ready to call it a day on moviemaking, I don't know.

To me the book should be published since it is a way to summarize his career and provide an in-depth reflective analysis by him (the artist himself) about what he's accomplished.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok, ham, but I'm still confused as to your earlier post.  Are you saying you're glad the publication of Woody's book is being cancelled?  I think that's what you were saying. The "confused" emoji I showed was to indicate that I'm not exactly sure where you stand on the whole  hatred for Woody Allen thing, and, if you are happy his book is being cancelled, I'd like to know why.

Woody Allen called pigeons "rat with wings".  Pigeon is glad the book was cancelled because it was insulted. (hence GOOD). That was the joke. I can care less.

I always knew the whole Woody Allen-Mia Farrow relationship was doomed from the very beginning.

Mia was born and bred in Los Angeles, right?!

(...and Woody has always hated anything associated with L.A., ya know)

;)

56 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I always knew the whole Woody Allen-Mia Farrow relationship was doomed from the very beginning.

Mia was born and bred in Los Angeles, right?!

(...and Woody has always hated anything associated with L.A., ya know)

;)

Dargo, I've always been a big fan of Andre Previn. I got to actually attend one of his concerts in London when I was a student. At that same time he was married to Mia Farrow, and she was on the stage there.

I believe that's when she adopted the daughter in question, who later married Woody Allen.

I was surprised when she married Frank Sinatra.

But when Mia left Andre Previn for Woody Allen-- it just totally freaked me out. I couldn't picture why anyone would do that except to boister a film career if they were an actress.

I'm not saying that's the only reason she did it, but I just thought it was a very stupid move on her part-- not professionally maybe, but personally.

But people do have a right to live their own lives, don't they? LOL