Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Publisher cancels Woody Allen memoir amid backlash

On 4/7/2020 at 3:05 PM, spence said:

Not vindictive here, but she also insisted RONAN FARROW was SINATRA'S son all over the media

I think he is. Woody himself asked in a piece he wrote, where did those blue eyes come from? 

OLuZf5i.jpg

Nothing of Woody at all in these features. 

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is this sponsored \ supported by Farrow?  E.g.  she agreed to be interviewed for it,  etc....      (I highly doubt Allen would do that).      

PS:  I'm assuming that last sentence means that people should be allowed-to squabble or grieve in private (i.e. that media should leave them alone).

Generally I agree but in this case,  as sewhite points out,  Farrow wants this to be as public as possible.

Well, it's got 13 executive producers credited, one "Executive in Charge of Production" and two producers, and two of the exec producers are also the directors.  None have a "Farrow" surname.

The two primary folks behind it are Amy Ziering and Kirby Dick (the directors), who have previously made the Oscar-nominated The Invisible War, among other docs.

In articles I've read, the filmmakers set out to tell Mia's side of the story.

• Thanks 1
Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Paul Newman?

Paul and Mia. Hmmm.... 

No. No I don't think so, but #HeToo is a more viable candidate for paternity than the Wood Man.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:19 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Nothing new.    The Farrow family complained to the publisher and they canceled the deal.    Woody has a new publisher so the book should be out soon. 

I didn't hear that the Farrows complained but I know that the employees at the original publishing house walked out over the plan to publish. One piece I read quoted workers saying stuff like, "I have a friend who is very distraught that he knows someone who works for a publisher who enables predators" and crap like that.

I know from first-hand experience that corporate life has become adult daycare but caving to that was pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

You can have blue eyes without having blue-eyed parents.  

Ronan's grin, though. The jaw line. Look at that photo and cover the top half of his face. I still see Frank. 

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is this sponsored \ supported by Farrow?  E.g.  she agreed to be interviewed for it,  etc....      (I highly doubt Allen would do that).      

PS:  I'm assuming that last sentence means that people should be allowed-to squabble or grieve in private (i.e. that media should leave them alone).

Generally I agree but in this case,  as sewhite points out,  Farrow wants this to be as public as possible.

Yeah, Mia is front and center and in front of the camera. She was pictured in the Wall Street Journal yesterday.

• Thanks 1

L.A. Times columnist Robin Abcarian Sunday article is:   "Is your mind made up about Woody Allen?".  

It goes on to mention the HBO docuseries "Allen v Farrow";  Her basic point is that if you watch this and are not convinced Allen molested Dylan,   well,,,,   something is wrong with you.     She also says that she used to be "taken" with the Allen film Manhattan,  but now "all I feel is deep discomfort and disgust".    

I took this as more messaging:   You not only have to believe Allen is guilty,  but if you enjoy any of his work,  ,,well,,,  something is wrong with you.

My POV:  I don't know what happened and I don't really care as it relates to how I view Allen's work.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

L.A. Times columnist Robin Abcarian ... says that she used to be "taken" with the Allen film Manhattan,  but now "all I feel is deep discomfort and disgust".    

I took this as more messaging:   You not only have to believe Allen is guilty,  but if you enjoy any of his work,  ,,well,,,  something is wrong with you.

My POV:  I don't know what happened and I don't really care as it relates to how I view Allen's work.    

Manhattan was about a middle aged man dating a 17 year old girl when Robin was taken with it, and it's about a middle aged man dating a 17 year old girl now that she feels discomfort and disgust. Allen didn't change a thing. 

On 2/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, CinemaInternational said:

BTW, Sinatra isn't Ronan's father. Nancy Sinatra said her father had a surgery that made his fathering children impossible long before Ronan's birth in 1987.

Tina Sinatra told Showbiz 411 (whoever they are) that her Dad had had a vasectomy. (The reporter, too cutely, includes Tina's remark that Ronan looks just like Mia's late brother.)

Ronan for his part once tweeted, "Listen, we're all *possibly* Frank Sinatra's son."

Another source documented health issues Sinatra was experiencing in the mid 1980s which suggest strongly that siring offspring probably wasn't going to be a thing for him anymore, vasectomy or not.

Something else I read yesterday had Woody saying he and Mia were into a platonic stage well before Ronan was born. (My word, not his, but that's the gist.)

I never thought the Ed Begleys looked much alike, but now that the younger is up in years, I see it very clearly. Still it is doubtful Ronan will ever resemble Woody. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, Sepiatone said:

Celine looked more like actor TIM ROTH after one long lost weekend.  ;)  And would be funnier if that anti-semite( or ANY anti-semite) more resembled GOLDA MEIR. ;) 

As for Woody's book, -----

In today's job market, the publisher would have had no problem replacing those employees who walked out., which too, in today's job market, is a dumb thing to do.  Having principles and integrity might seem honorable, but most landlords, mortgage holders and grocers won't accept one's integrity for payment.   And principles won't pay the light or heat bills.  And if a self published Woody Allen memoir makes a ton of money, that would be another reason for the publisher(whom I suspect is in business to make money) to don the "self kicking" boots. 

Sepiatone

On 3/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, TopBilled said:

Let's say Woody Allen self-publishes, or else gets an international printing company to publish the autobiography for him.

It will obviously be a bestseller, since the publicity that is surrounding it is already great due to him losing the previous deal. Plus people want to read his version of events regarding the ongoing Farrow family drama. Not to mention, the considerable focus he will put on his films and the creation of his films.

I guess the question becomes this-- will the eventual publication of the book cause a huge backlash from the MeToo crowd? Meaning that any subsequent motion pictures he makes will flop. Perhaps he's ready to call it a day on moviemaking, I don't know.

To me the book should be published since it is a way to summarize his career and provide an in-depth reflective analysis by him (the artist himself) about what he's accomplished.

Our bias as fans of classic film is definitely showing here. Ronan Farrow was able to object to his publisher releasing a book by Woody Allen because his previous book was a massive hit. It made the top twenty on The New York Times bestseller list of nonfiction books released in 2019. It made loads of best books of the year lists. Woody was never going to make the publisher as much money as Ronan did. Very few celebrity memoirs would. He had won Pullitzer and is one of the biggest names in investigative journalism. Ronan is already much more powerful than Woody.

18 minutes ago, Vanessa17 said:

Our bias as fans of classic film is definitely showing here. Ronan Farrow was able to object to his publisher releasing a book by Woody Allen because his previous book was a massive hit. It made the top twenty on The New York Times bestseller list of nonfiction books released in 2019. It made loads of best books of the year lists. Woody was never going to make the publisher as much money as Ronan did. Very few celebrity memoirs would. He had won Pullitzer and is one of the biggest names in investigative journalism. Ronan is already much more powerful than Woody.

There are some who don't consider Woody Allen's films to be classic films because they were made after 1960.

Re-reading my previous comment (which you quoted), I think what I wrote was rather sound and logical. Allen should be allowed to analyze his career. 

I don't think the publisher sees Ronan as being more powerful. Instead, the reluctance to publish Allen's material is political because they fear a backlash from the #MeToo crowd. If they could, they'd publish both books and make money on both of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Thank you for posting this. Jonathan Itknonen's analysis of what is and isn't in the "documentary" is devastating. Clearly the manipulative techniques took in Robin Abcarian, the LA Times reviewer. I had read that, too. By now we should know not to take any "documentary" at face value.

In addition to not interviewing anyone who supported Woody's account, it's a safe bet that the film didn't include how closely the accusation tracks a song by Dory Previn, Mia's BFF until Mia wound up married to Dory's husband.

36 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There are some who don't consider Woody Allen's films to be classic films because they were made after 1960.

Re-reading my previous comment (which you quoted), I think what I wrote was rather sound and logical. Allen should be allowed to analyze his career. 

I don't think the publisher sees Ronan as being more powerful. Instead, the reluctance to publish Allen's material is political because they fear a backlash from the #MeToo crowd. If they could, they'd publish both books and make money on both of them.

I'm not saying that Allen should not be allowed to publish his book. I quoted you because you theorized that Allen's book would be a bestseller, which is not possible. Your perspective is one way of looking at things. Since this isn't a forum about publishing nonfiction books, that side of it hasn't really been considered here. It could be that they feared backlash from publishing Allen's book, but it could also be an entirely monetary decision. They already had a relationship with an author with a steady output who recently released one of their biggest hits. Woody's book doesn't make that much of a difference in their bottom line, so why not ditch him for the guy that is making them more money and has more potential to release another book in the future.

In 2019, one of the two of the publisher's nonfiction books that outsold Ronan was Donald Trump Jr.'s Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us. It was published by Center Street, which is an imprint that focuses on politically conservative books. In addition to Donald Trump Jr's book, they've also published books by Newt Gingrich and various employees of Fox News.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Vanessa17 said:

It could be that they feared backlash from publishing Allen's book, but it could also be an entirely monetary decision. 

They feared backlash. The monetary decision to publish had been made. Pub date was set for April 2020. Hachette announced on March 6 they were backing out. I don't know how fast things move in the book publishing world, but I'm guessing they were pretty far along in the process when they got nervous.

And Allen's book seems to be doing well enough to make money, if not a top ten item. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Agreed that was fabulous-it's great to see someone with a rational mind pointing this out-we too often react emotionally.

I'll come forward to say I was too was abused by my parents:  I was told my role in life is to be beautiful; a good wife & mother. Although a child prodigy in the arts, a college education was denied me because of my gender. Oh, what an incredible life I would have had if only my parents believed in me! (or were more progressive/born 10 years later/etc)

It's ridiculous schtick like that rant that gets people riled up for no good reason. Parents make mistakes. You have to just go on, make the best of what you have, stop complaining & blaming others for how bad your life is.

That's why I think the entire thing is shameful. Desperate.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Agreed that was fabulous-it's great to see someone with a rational mind pointing this out-we too often react emotionally.

Oh, what an incredible life I would have had if only my parents believed in me! (or were more progressive/born 10 years later/etc)

It's ridiculous schtick like that rant that gets people riled up for no good reason. Parents make mistakes. You have to just go on, make the best of what you have, stop complaining & blaming others for how bad your life is.

I concur with you on this Sue!  I was the first person in my immediate family to graduate from college.  For most families, that would be a great achievement worthy of celebration.  I, on the other hand, was showered with indifference.  Sad thing is that it impacted me in negative ways that took me a long time to overcome (well, longer than I think it should have taken).  Some in my family today think I squandered my education because I did not take a job in the field I studied for (teaching).  On the other hand, people who get to know me think I'm one of the most fascinating people they know.  I'm not bragging, just stating that some of my friends tell me they've never met anyone like me (and they mean that complimentary---not with a derisive eye roll or shake of the head!).  But, I'm the kind of person who thinks every one of us has at least 5 fascinating characteristics or achievements and accomplishments that people would be impressed or surprised by.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I always feel weird defending Woody Allen b/c I f*****g hate Woody Allen movies.  But the testimony of Woody's son Moses Farrow is pretty convincing and strongly indicates that he didn't do it.  And in any case, a "documentary" that straight-up says it is ignoring any contrary evidence should be ignored at all costs.

BTW, I saw that "canceled" Woody Allen memoir prominently displayed at a Barnes and Noble yesterday.

The bottom line in this case IS the bottom line.  ie:  Ronan's book might be more interesting reading to more people than Woody's book, so the publisher goes with what'll fill the coffers better.  But it doesn't mean everything, or anything in the book is fact.  I think there's STILL people arguing over whether or not Christine Crawford's book "Mommie Dearest" is fact or just sour grapes. 

Nobody can argue that THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER, although loaded with crap and sensationalized gossip, doesn't sell and sell well.   Apparently there are hundreds of thousands of people who dig reading anything that they think takes celebrities "down a peg".   Regardless if it's fact or fiction.  

Oh, and WHOM, in my generation("Boomer") doesn't feel their parents ruined their lives?  Mine did, by not indulging in my every whim, and going on and on about "the depression" every time I asked for a dime!   Cripes.  I had to GET OUT of that situation by the time I was 19-20, get a job and MY OWN place to live,  be forced to learn to pay my bills on time, develop a steady work ethic and all THEY did was offer to be there when, due to any circumstances beyond my control, I fell on hard times!  :rolleyes:

I never went to college either.  But, I really didn't have the grades, and even if I did, my parents couldn't afford it, and I'd likely just now be reaching the end of paying on my student loan.  ;) 

But, I WAS the first in my immediate family to finish high school.  

Sepiatone