Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Publisher cancels Woody Allen memoir amid backlash

I watched the HBO documentary Sunday night, and I'd say Dylan truly believes something terrible happened to her. Is she remembering what happened to her or what she has been told from an early age  happened to her?  Why does Mia Farrow have the need to hoard children? Past four or five - the most one person can give sufficient time to - you'd think she would just have set up a trust to fund the care of special needs children when they were adopted by other people.  Woody has his problems too. Starting with cheating on his girlfriend with her daughter, grown or not, that he has known since she was a child. Researching this and remembering when the whole thing came out in 1992, one thing I can be pretty sure of. The Previn/Farrow children were raised by narcissists. My heart goes out to them. 

1 minute ago, LsDoorMat said:

Woody has his problems too. Starting with cheating on his girlfriend with her daughter, grown or not, that he has known since she was a child.

"Grown or not" is a pretty big thing to toss aside. But let's remember she was in fact grown.

And that does seem to be the scorn that unleashed the fury. 

I haven't and won't see it, but I do find Moses's piece very compelling. 

Just now, LuckyDan said:

"Grown or not" is a pretty big thing to toss aside. But let's remember she was in fact grown.

I read that piece just today. I agree it is very compelling. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I watched the HBO documentary Sunday night, and I'd say Dylan truly believes something terrible happened to her. Is she remembering what happened to her or what she has been told from an early age  happened to her?  *Why does Mia Farrow have the need to hoard children? Past four or five - the most one person can give sufficient time to - you'd think she would just have set up a trust to fund the care of special needs children when they were adopted by other people.  Woody has his problems too. **Starting with cheating on his girlfriend with her daughter, grown or not, that he has known since she was a child. Researching this and remembering when the whole thing came out in 1992, one thing I can be pretty sure of. The Previn/Farrow children were raised by narcissists. My heart goes out to them. 

*Mia Farrow came from a Catholic family of seven natural born children.

Her mother was the Irish Catholic actress Maureen O'Sullivan.

While, it may seem unnatural to some people that a woman would want to have a herd of children underfoot--

(and I would definitely be one of those people)

It is often the case that individuals who were raised in large families are more comfortable in a similar family environment when they grow up.

**Considering the relationship between Woody Allen and Mia Farrow-- They had children together--

Woody Allen was indeed a surrogate stepfather and a father figure to Mia's adopted daughter. That's what would make the whole alleged situation disgusting to most people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/20/2021 at 6:43 AM, UMO1982 said:

The "documentary" looks like it's made by two witch hunters who saw a headline for their project. From what I read in the NY Times, they went into to project with the assumption that Woody Allen was guilty (although he's never been legally charged with anything ... not even a parking ticket). It's obviously then not an impartial documentary. It features the "usual suspects" any does not include the several adopted children who cam out for Allen and against Mommie Mia. It's basically tabloid journalism on film.

Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering. Their previous work includes a documentary about sexual assault in the military, a documentary about sexual assault on college campuses, and a documentary about sexual assault in Hollywood.

Edit: Not Hollywood but the hip hop recording industry, specifically one victim. They seem to be getting more specific as they go along. 

14 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

No one cares what you see.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Dick should have done a documentary of Farrow's convicted pedophile brother. Or maybe one on Satchel's real father.

And that would be Woody? Dylan is the story here. But as always with this group, she doesn't matter. Thank, God, for the Me too movement. It's given her a voice.

11 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering. Their previous work includes a documentary about sexual assault in the military, a documentary about sexual assault on college campuses, and a documentary about sexual assault in Hollywood.

Edit: Not Hollywood but the hip hop recording industry, specifically one victim. They seem to be getting more specific as they go along. 

And your point?

17 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Woody's a filmmaker, make his own documentary, telling his side of the story.

Yeah, that'll be the day! LOL.

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It doesn't take any nerve to see blatant arrogance when someone writes "actual truth will never be known" and then follows that with "but it's obvious to me".

Just own your POV;   you believe we do know the actual truth, AND,   that truth is obvious to you.

I clearly said multiple times:  I have no idea what happened or didn't happen.   NO clue.  NO opinion.  

It's obvious to me he used his  money and celebrity and public relations machine to save his career. You think some poor schmo could have? But then you wouldn't know about poor people would you? How much did your house cost again? How much money do you  make as you  are want to brag about here? (as if anyone cares).

Many in the pro Mia camp point to the Connecticut state attorney, Frank Maco, saying that he found probable cause existed. (The "probable cause" comment is relative only to the arrest warrant, and as Allen defenders point out, Maco doesn't say what the probable cause was.)

I found his statement here and it is an exercise in weaselry. In case the link doesn't work for everyone, I made some screen shots of what I believe are relevant excerpts regarding the weakness of a criminal case against Woody, which should have been sufficient for Maco's purpose. 

But no. He spends most of his time describing Dylan as fragile, and stresses that he doesn't want to subject her to having to testify in a criminal proceeding. He says it something like 8 times over five pages.

Maco makes many references to the custody trial and Justice Wilk, and concludes that justice was served well enough in that decision. And oh, yeah, the criminal case is weak.

So. We have a state attorney saying essentially, yeah I believe this guy's a p3do, but I'm going to let him go on being a p3do because ... I don't want to upset his victim?

Woody sought disciplinary action against Maco for misconduct. A lengthy investigation resulted and Maco was cleared.

WM3VOz0.png

YF6FPlE.png

qr8mDGq.png

• 2 months later...

I am always very hesitant to watch a 'documentary' made by HBO as they seem to often have an agenda they're pushing, but i did finally watch their series Allen v. Farrow and my opinion on both HBO's documentaries and on the allegations against Allen remain the same.

I think i might actually buy Apropos of Nothing.  I typically only read autobiographies/biographies if key historical figures, i am genuinely interested in Allen's filmmaking history and want to read his takes on the filmmaking process.

• Like 1

She’s an actress, so whatever, but Mia did not come across in the documentary as a bitter woman with an axe to grind. Same for Dylan. Love the work, not so much the man. 

16 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I think i might actually buy Apropos of Nothing. 

I suggest you borrow it from your library first, the book may not cover your interests.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:09 AM, TikiSoo said:

I suggest you borrow it from your library first, the book may not cover your interests.

I like to own the books I read for my personal library.  Pretty much a minimalist except for my collections of films, books and vinyl.