Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old Film Lover

Karloff's Night World (1932) -- Need Help Identifying Actress

Posted (edited)

I've just recently watched the 1932 film Night World, featuring Boris Karloff as the owner of a nightclub.  It's a great minor crime film, and I recommend it.  I'm having trouble with the name of an actress.  Her role does not seem to be listed on either the AFI or IMDb cast lists.  She's blonde and as an actress I would guess she is maybe 28-30, but here playing a woman slightly older, maybe 35-40.  In her first scene, maybe 5 to 10 minutes in, she is a patron in the nightclub, with a soft-spoken, mustached, middle-aged husband, and the husband is suspicious that she has been carrying on with another man in the nightclub when he's not there, and asks the manager, Karloff, about her with a "trap" question.  She signals Karloff silently, and Karloff covers for her. Karloff calls her "Mrs. Bryce" or "Mrs. Price" when speaking to her husband.  Later, she slips out to a Cadillac (the doorman addresses her as "Mrs.  Price" or "Mrs. Brice" or perhaps "Mrs. Brand"),  and embraces and sneaks away with her lover.   She can be seen clearly at 4:46 of the excerpts posted on YouTube [note that she is *not* the woman in the picture immediately below, which is from a different scene], at this location:  

Edited by Old Film Lover
To avoid confusion regarding the woman in the picture

5 hours ago, Old Film Lover said:

I've just recently watched the 1932 film Night World, featuring Boris Karloff as the owner of a nightclub.  It's a great minor crime film, and I recommend it.  I'm having trouble with the name of an actress.  Her role does not seem to be listed on either the AFI or IMDb cast lists.  She's blonde and as an actress I would guess she is maybe 28-30, but here playing a woman slightly older, maybe 35-40.  In her first scene, maybe 5 to 10 minutes in, she is a patron in the nightclub, with a soft-spoken, mustached, middle-aged husband, and the husband is suspicious that she has been carrying on with another man in the nightclub when he's not there, and asks the manager, Karloff, about her with a "trap" question.  She signals Karloff silently, and Karloff covers for her. Karloff calls her "Mrs. Bryce" or "Mrs. Price" when speaking to her husband.  Later, she slips out to a Cadillac (the doorman addresses her as "Mrs.  Price" or "Mrs. Brice" or perhaps "Mrs. Brand"),  and embraces and sneaks away with her lover.   She can be seen clearly at 4:46 of the excerpts posted on YouTube [note that she is *not* the woman in the picture immediately below, which is from a different scene], at this location:  

I'm not familiar with the movie, but could it be Florence Lake, who would have been 27 or 28 when this film was made:

Florence Lake, film actress

I looked at the full credits for Night World, and believe this is Helene Chadwick - she is listed as nightclub patron uncredited. Photos of her look like the woman in the video clip. Her age would be 35-36 here.

Dear Jezebel38:

I looked at the credits for Night World on the IMDb, and several photos are provided there for Helene Chadwick.  None of them look anything like the actress/character in the scene I'm referring to.  Those photos *do* look a bit like the character in the picture I gave above, but as I mentioned, that picture is not from the scene I'm talking about.  To see the scene I'm talking about, you have to click on the link and then go to 4:46 of the excerpts.  When you do that, you can see that the actress looks nothing like the Helene Chadwick pictures.  Chadwick's face is rounder and more plebeian in its beauty, whereas the cheating wife in the scene I'm talking about has a more slim and angular face and a more aristocratic look, sort of a younger version of Mary Forbes.  Thanks for trying, but I don't think this is the person.  

Dear txfilmfan:

No, it's not Florence Lake.  Florence Lake plays the goofy blonde, "Miss Smith", who is dancing with "Joe", the character played by Gene Morgan.  But thanks for trying.