Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tom Hanks Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Tom Hanks Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus.

The actor, 63, confirmed the positive results on his Instagram Wednesday.

“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive,” Hanks wrote.

“Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?”

He added, “We’ll keep the world posted and updated. Take care of yourselves!”

Hanks is currently in Australia’s Gold Coast for the pre-production of Baz Luhrmann‘s untitled Elvis Presley biopic, in which he plays the music icon’s longtime manager Colonel Tom Parker. Filming for the movie has been halted.

“We have been made aware that a company member from our Elvis feature film, which is currently in pre-production in The Gold Coast, Australia, has tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus),” Warner Bros. said in a statement to PEOPLE. “We are working closely with the appropriate Australian health agencies to identify and contact anyone who may have come in direct contact with the individual. The health and safety of our company members is always our top priority, and we are taking precautions to protect everyone who works on our productions around the world.”

“The individual who tested positive for COVID-19 is currently receiving treatment.”

We now have the first actor infected by this virus, let's hope for no others.

Tom Hanks might ask some movie  producer to make one of those Robert Langdon conspiracy films, the Vatican is behind the Corona outbreak.  

Robert_Langdon_Angels_&_Demons.jpg

;)

Wait, lets blame the Illuminati. :P

• Haha 1

Having a famous, wealthy person catch a disease will have a chilling "If it could happen to him, it could happen to me" affect on many people. When I heard that Hanks had caught the virus it was a throwback moment for me to when the world first heard that Rock Hudson had AIDS. Hopefully Hanks will come through this, though.

This makes me ponder a question, assuming that Hanks survives this and resumes contact with people once again. Can a person catch this virus more than once or are they immune after getting over it? With the common cold you are immune to the actual strain that you had but can still catch a different one. I suspect it may be too early for the scientific world to know for sure when it come to COVID-19.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Having a famous, wealthy person catch a disease will have a chilling "If it could happen to him, it could happen to me" affect on many people. When I heard that Hanks had caught the virus it was a throwback moment for me to when the world first heard that Rock Hudson had AIDS. Hopefully Hanks will come through this, though.

This makes me ponder a question, assuming that Hanks survives this and resumes contact with people once again. Can a person catch this virus more than once or are they immune after getting over it? With the common cold you are immune to the actual strain that you had but can still catch a different one. I suspect it may be too early for the scientific world to know for sure when it come to COVID-19.

Some good news regarding COVID-19, the very young are resistant to it.  Why?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/10/coronavirus-is-mysteriously-sparing-kids-killing-elderly-understanding-why-may-help-defeat-virus/

People need to keep in mind that 80-90% of those who are testing positive present generally mild symptoms similar to the cold or flu.   Very few cases are requiring hospitalization or extreme medical care, but would be asked to self-quarantine,  That could be the most difficult aspect of this to many.  Testing positive is not a death sentence.

12 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

People need to keep in mind that 80-90% of those who are testing positive present generally mild symptoms similar to the cold or flu.   Very few cases are requiring hospitalization or extreme medical care, but would be asked to self-quarantine,  That could be the most difficult aspect of this to many.  Testing positive is not a death sentence.

That's what I've been shouting from the hilltops back in Off Topics!  People will look back on this seeing how silly the panic was!

235461.png

This may sound strange but I've got to say that I felt better after reading Mr. Hanks posting.  He responded as we hope anyone in his situation would by getting checked out as soon as he and his wife felt sick and is following doctor's orders.  I appreciate that he shared his situation and I wish him and his wife a quick recovery.    

I read Hanks's posting just after a well-meaning but blabby neighbor came  up to us outside and  passed on every crack-pot or half truth she's heard recently.  She scared the heck out of all the kids playing outside.   Also, our local stores have empty shelves because people overacted and made a run on TP, liquid soap and hand sanitizer.   After the neighbor left  we reassured the kids and reinforced what we had telling them before about hand washing and that their school and families will make the best decisions for them based on the facts.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Peebs said:

This may sound strange but I've got to say that I felt better after reading Mr. Hanks posting.  He responded as we hope anyone in his situation would by getting checked out as soon as he and his wife felt sick and is following doctor's orders.  I appreciate that he shared his situation and I wish him and his wife a quick recovery.    

I read Hanks's posting just after a well-meaning but blabby neighbor came  up to us outside and  passed on every crack-pot or half truth she's heard recently.  She scared the heck out of all the kids playing outside.   Also, our local stores have empty shelves because people overacted and made a run on TP, liquid soap and hand sanitizer.   After the neighbor left  we reassured the kids and reinforced what we had telling them before about hand washing and that their school and families will make the best decisions for them based on the facts.    

Thanks for that post, it's the kids whom are less vulnerable.  Now they may get an anxiety attack for every little sniffle thanks to Miss Gabbymouth! :angry:

• Like 1

I admire the way he's coping with the situation.  Not so sure I would be so restrained. As a matter of fact, I know I wouldn't be.

So far we only have 2 cases of people who have contacted the coronavirus here in Michigan, but I expect it will probably increase with quite a few more cases within the next few days.

I'm not going to sweat it, but I do feel sorry for Tom, Rita and all the others who have contacted this disease and have had to be quarantined.

18 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Go into Walmart and get hacked on. In a couple of days you will know why.

Do yourself a favor and YOU GO! LOL.

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

Thanks for that post, it's the kids whom are less vulnerable.  Now they may get an anxiety attack for every little sniffle thanks to Miss Gabbymouth! :angry:

Yes, good point about kids being reportedly less susceptible.   We did field a lot of questions after Miss Gabbymouth left so I think (hope) the kids aren't as freaked out.

We also got a call yesterday from the senior living center where an elderly relative lives.  They are banning visitors for the next week, at least.  Considering what happened at the nursing home in Washington  state I was relieved that the facility where our relative lives is being cautious.  It was another example we used with our kids:  Our relative is very old and is in poor health, if she were to get the virus it would be very dangerous.   The nurses and doctors are taking precautions to keep her safe.   Kids are younger and are in much shape and won't be affected the same way.  

52 minutes ago, Hibi said:

And this is news because???

Americans tend not to care until someone famous "gets it". Then we all hop into action !

43 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Go into Walmart and get hacked on. In a couple of days you will know why.

Nah, all the cleaning supplies and tp are all sold out.

But, think of it this way. When they make the corona movie, he can play himself 😀

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Americans tend not to care until someone famous "gets it". Then we all hop into action !

Nah, all the cleaning supplies and tp are all sold out.

But, think of it this way. When they make the corona movie, he can play himself 😀

LOL. As I noticed today. Glad I bought a big package of TP a few wks ago..........People are crazy.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

That's what I've been shouting from the hilltops back in Off Topics!  People will look back on this seeing how silly the panic was!

Have to admit, my old Y2K Bug memories are kicking back in.  I'm not sure why healthy people are buying six months of toilet paper to quarantine themselves in, unless it's psychological comfort of raising the drawbridge and telling the world to go CV itself....Which sure worked out well for that Poe character in "Masque of the Red Death"

masque-of-the-red-death-6.png

I think people actually, recreationally like panicking.  It gives the child half of their adult side some illusion of "control", that they can enjoy the adrenaline of fearing the entire world around them, and then doing goofy buy-out-the-store stunts to believe they're enacting their own personal control over it.  (Anyone ever get a real thrill every time they've done their stockup shopping, closed the storm windows and cleared the driveway before that big blizzard the TV weather predicted starts snowing, and then looks forward to that cocoa-and-shoveling snow-day in safe comfort?)

And just like Y2K was our national catharsis that we didn't really understand how all this new computer/Internet technology worked, and the 50's bomb-shelter panic was our distrust that mere patriotism wouldn't protect us from Russia, would we be panicking over this disease to quite this extent if it wasn't............CHINESE????  (Which many a GOP politician has already made his own tastelessly inappropriate "joke" about by this point.)

Hanks is currently in Australia’s Gold Coast for the pre-production of Baz Luhrmann‘s untitled Elvis Presley biopic, in which he plays the music icon’s longtime manager Colonel Tom Parker. Filming for the movie has been halted.

O.  D.  G.   😱

If it'd been the Mister Rogers movie, or another wartime epic, we could salute Hanks being shot in the saddle for a good cause.  But just because Baz "Great Glam-Parties Throughout History" Luhrmann managed to get another actual A-list actor for his wishful historical gay-fantasies (yep, Baz believed that one about the Colonel & Elvis, just like he wishfully believed Nick Carraway had a "secret thing" for Jay Gatsby) doesn't mean we have to sacrifice one of our national film treasures for it.  If Hanks dies, I say we sue Luhrmann for criminal negligence, and let him enjoy his Beyonce' parties behind bars, where he'll find plenty of guests for them.

The  TP thing is so bizarre it's almost frightening.  I sort of understand the Clorox and Lysol shortages, but how long are people planning on being quarantined to need so much toilet paper?

Yesterday when I went to a local grocery store there was plenty of toilet paper contrary to all those reports of people grabbing the stuff in a panic. Today when I went the shelves were bare.

Is this the Tom Hanks effect?

It's the everything effect, I think. I gave up trying to find hand san yesterday. It's sold out everywhere, I imagine. I'm actually well stocked on toilet paper, but my 86-year-old Mom reported yesterday she had to go Sam's Club for one of the jumbo packs because all the grocery stores in her town were completely sold out. As a baseball fan, I assume the season, originally set to begin in two weeks, is not going to start on time. The NBA has indefinitely postponed the rest of its season. The NHL is set to make a major announcement this afternoon, something similar, I imagine. Most of the college divisional basketball playoffs have been cancelled. The Masters, the Kentucky Derby and March Madness are all right around the corner. I imagine all will either be canceled or played in front of no fans. Pearl Jam postponed their North American tour. SXSW got canceled in Austin. The new James Bond movie and A Quiet Place Part 2, both intended to be tent pole summer reelases, have been pushed back to fall. Etc. etc.

26 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

The  TP thing is so bizarre it's almost frightening.  I sort of understand the Clorox and Lysol shortages, but how long are people planning on being quarantined to need so much toilet paper?

LOL. It's like a BOMB SHELTER mentality from the 50s/60s has taken over...........