Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tom Hanks Tests Positive for Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I just read that the TCM Film Festival has been canceled.

WOW. The whole thing? Sad news. Will it be rescheduled for the fall?

THE GREAT WHITE WAY shutting down for at least a month. No Broadway shows. DEVASTATING. I bet many wont reopen (those that are just getting by)

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

THE GREAT WHITE WAY shutting down for at least a month. No Broadway shows. DEVASTATING. I bet many wont reopen (those that are just getting by)

It's apparently an order from the state, not a voluntary thing , because the Sirius XM Broadway channel was just reporting yesterday that a lot of shows were selling their remaining seats at $50 each for the next few weeks.  NY has banned most gatherings of 500 or more, and all Broadway houses have at least 500 seats (otherwise, they're considered off-Broadway, or off-off-Broadway).

You're right that many shows will not be able to recover, as the theater is not exactly a positive cash-flow business unless you've been running for years (even at their outrageous premium seat prices)

Is it me or does this whole thing sound like a Ray Bradbury story? I was planning to visit Mom  in the nursing home today only to be told that they are not allowing visitors.  Those pods. Those unearthly pods.  Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  That's what this reminds of. Don't fall asleep!!!

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. As I noticed today. Glad I bought a big package of TP a few wks ago..........People are crazy.

I just bought two big packs (not Costco-sized) today at the grocery store.  Not because I'm hoarding it, but because I don't want to run out because everyone else is hoarding it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's the everything effect, I think. I gave up trying to find hand san yesterday. It's sold out everywhere, I imagine. I'm actually well stocked on toilet paper, but my 86-year-old Mom reported yesterday she had to go Sam's Club for one of the jumbo packs because all the grocery stores in her town were completely sold out. As a baseball fan, I assume the season, originally set to begin in two weeks, is not going to start on time. The NBA has indefinitely postponed the rest of its season. The NHL is set to make a major announcement this afternoon, something similar, I imagine. Most of the college divisional basketball playoffs have been cancelled. The Masters, the Kentucky Derby and March Madness are all right around the corner. I imagine all will either be canceled or played in front of no fans. Pearl Jam postponed their North American tour. SXSW got canceled in Austin. The new James Bond movie and A Quiet Place Part 2, both intended to be tent pole summer reelases, have been pushed back to fall. Etc. etc.

The Tool concert we were attending tonight in Eugene, OR has been postponed. 

I'm just glad we lived close enough that we were planning on driving down today and staying overnight in a hotel across the street from the venue.  Our hotel refunded the fee with no problems, despite only a few hours cancellation notice.

Panic is just hitting here. As of last week there were no cases. Wish I'd thought last week to buy some stuff. Who knows when shelves will be restocked again??? And there will be idiots lining up to clean them off again!s I always buy the 12 pack double rolls. Should last me 3 months.

Our warehouses cannot buy cleaning supplies because our supplier (and even Amazon) is completely sold out. 

Who knew that the idea of washing your hands was such a novel idea that it would incite such panic?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The Tool concert we were attending tonight in Eugene, OR has been postponed. 

I didn't know they were still around. I saw them live in '93. One of the better live rock bands that I ever saw.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I didn't know they were still around. I saw them live in '93. One of the better live rock bands that I ever saw.

We saw them a couple years ago when they came through Portland the last time.

What sucks is that they literally just played in Portland last night.  We weren't able to get tickets to that show (tickets sold out in 30 minutes), so we got tickets for the next night in Eugene.  The governor's ban on events with more than 250+ people was announced while the Portland Tool show was in progress.

They're apparently postponing, which is better than canceling.  Ticketmaster hasn't even announced the cancellation yet.  We found out via Tool's social media and the venue website.

26 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Our warehouses cannot buy cleaning supplies because our supplier (and even Amazon) is completely sold out. 

Who knew that the idea of washing your hands was such a novel idea that it would incite such panic?

I know. JUST WASH YOUR HANDS! IDIOTS!  I only have a small amount left at home. Not likely I'll find some any time soon....

I was going to visit Mom today. She's in a nursing home. No visitors until further notice.  This is getting weird. Like Ray Bradbury or something.

Just came back from the grocery store. Mobbed. Like the day before a nor' easter or a hurricane. Most folks seemed to be in good spirits. They were buying up the water like there's no tomorrow. I get my water from the tap. No issues. But all the while I was shopping, (and I wanted Chinese for my birthday, but have to watch my sodium intake, so I make my own), I kept thinking of Karl Swenson's character in The Birds. He was in the restaurant drinking beers and saying, "It's the end of the world". 

44 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Panic is just hitting here. As of last week there were no cases. Wish I'd thought last week to buy some stuff. Who knows when shelves will be restocked again??? And there will be idiots lining up to clean them off again!s I always buy the 12 pack double rolls. Should last me 3 months.

I live about 25 miles east of Sacramento, CA. Grocery stores, pharmacies, Target, Walmart and big box stores have no hand sanitizer, no disinfecting wipes, no rubbing alcohol or witch hazel, no tissue, no packs of bottled water on their shelves.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I was going to visit Mom today. She's in a nursing home. No visitors until further notice.  This is getting weird. Like Ray Bradbury or something.

Just came back from the grocery store. Mobbed. Like the day before a nor' easter or a hurricane. Most folks seemed to be in good spirits. They were buying up the water like there's no tomorrow. I get my water from the tap. No issues. But all the while I was shopping, (and I wanted Chinese for my birthday, but have to watch my sodium intake, so I make my own), I kept thinking of Karl Swenson's character in The Birds. He was in the restaurant drinking beers and saying, "It's the end of the world". 

LOL. I have a water filter on my sink faucet, so I get my water from there. The kind I buy lasts for years, so no worries on that.

So I wonder where Tom and/or Rita had been traveling previously before they went to Australia?  Where could they have been to contract COVID-19?  Or did they get it while in Oz? 

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

Thanks for that post, it's the kids whom are less vulnerable.  Now they may get an anxiety attack for every little sniffle thanks to Miss Gabbymouth! :angry:

•  

FYI...........

(it's NOT only Seniors who are susceptible) 

:unsure:

Immunosuppression Drugs

"......In general, deliberately induced immunosuppression is performed to prevent the body from rejecting an organ transplant.[3] Additionally, it is used for treating graft-versus-host disease after a bone marrow transplant, or for the treatment of auto-immune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome, or Crohn's disease. This is typically done using medications, but may involve surgery (splenectomy), plasmapheresis, or radiation. A person who is undergoing immunosuppression, or whose immune system is weak for some other reasons (chemotherapy or HIV), is said to be immunocompromised.[4].............

A common side-effect of many immunosuppressive drugs is immunodeficiency, because the majority of them act non-selectively, resulting in increased susceptibility to infections......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunosuppressive_drug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunosuppression

Types of Immunosuppressive Medications
  • Azathioprine (Imuran) ...
  • Mycophenolate mofetil (Cellcept) ...
  • Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune, Gengraf) ...
  • Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs) ...
  • Cytotoxic Drugs.

Autoimmune diseases treated with immunosuppressant drugs include:

List of immunosuppressants

https://www.healthline.com/health/immunosuppressant-drugs#drug-list

:huh:

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. It's like a BOMB SHELTER mentality from the 50s/60s has taken over...........

Aaah, and now Hibi, you've just reminded me of one of my favorite music videos from the '80s here...

(...maybe this'll lighten the mood around here...and besides, it IS "Throwback Thursday" today, isn't IT?!) ;)

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

Thanks for that post, it's the kids whom are less vulnerable.  Now they may get an anxiety attack for every little sniffle thanks to Miss Gabbymouth! :angry:

Just because the virus isn't that bad in the US yet doesn't mean it's nothing at all. Keep in mind there are still thousands dead in China, some as young as in their 30s.