Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dargo

Crushing on that newly discovered by you actor/actress who died 10/20/30+ years ago

Okay, I know there's GOT to be more lovers of classic films than just me around here who while watching some old movie on TCM have found themselves getting a little crush on some actor or actress who they had previously no knowledge of their existence before watching the movie. This happened again to me this evening while watching the Joe E. Brown SOTM tribute.

In the 1931 film Local Boy Makes Good, actress Ruth Hall (1910-2003) would be the latest actress who'd cast her little spell on me...

image-original.jpg?1499726607

Miss Hall was just cute as hell back when she played the love interest to Joe E. Brown's bewildered college nerd in this movie, and I just couldn't take my eyes off her as I watched it.

Her movie career was not a long one. Lasting a mere five years from 1930-1935 and performing in some 33 films during that time, but with about half of those being uncredited bit parts. Her Wikipedia and IMDb bio pages are linked below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Hall_(actress)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0356073/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

So, fess up here, folks! I KNOW this same sort of thing has had to have happened to many of my fellow TCM board member regulars. And so, here's your thread in which to share the story of your newfound crush while watching some old movie on TCM.

(...don't be shy now...they say "confession is good for the soul", ya know...and remember, I don't start many of these threads around here, so gimme some action here, folks...say, did that sound needy???) LOL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to include someone who is not new to me..

nevertheless...I would have to say this guy:

Ronald Colman - publicity.jpg

It's obvious Jean Arthur was wrong in her The Talk of the Town  pick.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Okay, Dargo, I admit that for a while now I've had a bit of a "thing" for Madge Evans. I had seen her in a few films, found her attractive in both personality as well as appearance and had to look up her name. Madge got to co star with film royalty on occasion such as when she appeared in DINNER AT EIGHT and DAVID COPPERFIELD (as the adult David's girlfriend).

Madge usually played unaffected, down to earth "nice girl" types towards which I am drawn (Ann Sheridan, who I adore, had those same qualities). Her roles were not splashy, eye catching parts, but Madge appeals to me for her steady fastness. Remember all those eccentric actors in Selznick's David Copperfield? Well, they're fun to watch but you need the common sense, grounded appeal of a Madge Evans for contrast and a feeling of sanity. I mean, come on, who do you really want to hang out with all the time, Aunt Betsy (Edna May Oliver), Micawber (Fields) or Madge Evans?

PnQDPOsL1Q7iBs6zuuktcPZ9Xmo2pgHOlb8Awt4B

FastLife11.jpg

It's the old bathing cap test, a sure way to challenge any woman's looks. Seems to me Madge is doing pretty well here.

• Like 2

I wonder if psychologists have a term for this phenomenon, Dargo.

I will list two women and two men that sort of catch my eye when I watch them on screen.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 7.10.56 AM.jpeg

First, the ladies. I have always thought Janet Leigh has a hypnotic quality. Especially her early stuff. Like in THE RED DANUBE (1949) where she plays a ballerina. Or in LITTLE WOMEN (1949). She's also quite beautiful, in Norse attire, in THE VIKINGS (1958).

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 7.12.12 AM.jpeg

Next, I have to give a shout out to Mala Powers in CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS (1953). Something striking about her.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 6.51.12 AM.jpeg

Now, the men. Recently I watched A BILL OF DIVORCEMENT (1932). I think David Manners is perfectly handsome in this film. Cukor and his cinematographer (Sidney Hickox) present Manners and Hepburn in the most flattering way possible. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 7.01.34 AM.jpeg

Yesterday I viewed a few episodes of the Nick Adams western series The Rebel. There was a guest star whom I'd never heard of before. The minute he came on screen I was transfixed. Of course I had to look him up online. I think what I like about Jason Evers is his ability to play a rugged outdoorsman in the western genre, but then he can do the suit and tie routine and play business types. He's also a fine actor. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 7.02.26 AM.png

• Like 2

Ummmmm............  Top---------------

Dargo, if I'm not mistaken, referred to actresses/actors you newly discovered  AFTER they died of old age 20-40+ years ago.  And unless you're actually a preteen masquerading  as a much older film studies graduate in his late 20's-early 30's, there's NO WAY someone who claims to be as astute a student of classic film can lay claim to have NOT known of Ms. Leigh or Ms. Powers 20 or so years after their deaths.  Leigh's in 2004, and Powers' in 2007.    And you kinda worry me with the GUYS catching your eye thing!  ;) 

And I think the word for it, psychologically or otherwise, is LECHERY!  ;) 

Anyway.....

Can't actually claim to be "crushing", but not long ago was taken by the actress who portrayed Stan Laurel's wife in BE BIG;   ISABELLE KEITH.  Y'all have to look her up as I can't do the photo post thing.  :(

Sepiatone

I first noticed her in MONKEY BUSINESS but didn't have a clue who she was. But she was sexy and a great straight lady for Groucho.

u-g-Q12PIDX0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

Later, though, I saw Thelma Todd working with Laurel and Hardy, Wheeler and Woolsey and in a series of comedy shorts of her own with SaZu Pitts and later Patsy Kelly, and discovered that vivacious beautiful Thelma could really play comedy herself. BINGO! WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A NON FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE ANOTHER CRUSH!

161993fe5bbe7ced4ff02a4f6fa33e62.gif

9899eec5d4b50ff823774a33cd6a3ba7.gif

• Like 4

Speaking of 'crushing' . . . have any good-looking performers ever been mangled to death by a steam roller?  Admittedly, it would give off a flattening appearance . . .

SAGE WISDOM:  Flattery may get one nowhere, but being squashed into a mass of 'road guts' will leave you cold. 

(P.S.  I admit I'm in a weird mood today.  When I saw that the TCM Film Festival had been cancelled the first thing I thought of was 'Why'?  Couldn't TCM just switch around the movies scheduled to be shown?  You start the festival off with the 1980 Japanese movie 'VIRUS' and go from there.  Maybe a nice screening of DAMNATION ALLEY or WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE? and then something cheerful like THE DAY AFTER or SPECIAL BULLETIN.  THE CHINA SYNDROME would fit right in, too!). 

Oh, well, back to the open bottle of cough syrup . . . :ph34r: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Panic in the Streets and The Andromeda Strain would both work, too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I wonder if psychologists have a term for this phenomenon, Dargo.

Yes TB, I understand there IS a clinical term for this. And I know this because just a few hours ago I put in a call to Dr. Phil and he answered this for me.

He told me in his little folksy Oklahoman twang that it's called "Necrocrushia", and that people who have this condition are prone to watch too many classic movies.

He then went on to say that in the classic movie genre, there are more than a few films which depict people with this condition of developing a crush on another who are or might be dead before the person with this condition would come to know of the object of their desire. He mentioned in particular Dana Andrews in Laura, and also Gene Tierney in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

;)

(...btw, I liked your picks...and in regard to Jason Evers who died in 2005, perhaps because I'm a few years older than you, I was already very familiar with him, as I remember seeing him quite a lot when he'd guest on many a TV series from the 1960s through the 1980s)

• Like 1

I only discovered Florence Rice a few years back.     When she was under contract at MGM she had some starring roles with Robert Young,  but she never made it big.

But when I see her now in a film,  she keeps me interested.

Image result for florence rice images

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Speaking of 'crushing' . . . have any good-looking performers ever been mangled to death by a steam roller?  Admittedly, it would give off a flattening appearance . . .

SAGE WISDOM:  Flattery may be get one nowhere, but being squashed into a mass of 'road guts' will leave you cold. 

(P.S.  I admit I'm in a weird mood today.  When I saw that the TCM Film Festival had been cancelled the first thing I thought of was 'Why'?  Couldn't TCM just switch around the movies scheduled to be shown?  You start the festival off with the 1980 Japanese movie 'VIRUS' and go from there.  Maybe a nice screening of DAMNATION ALLEY or WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE? and then something cheerful like THE DAY AFTER or SPECIAL BULLETIN.  THE CHINA SYNDROME would fit right in, too!). 

"Special Bulletin"...yeah! One of the very best made-for-TV movies ever. The Emmy winner in that category the year it was broadcast in 1983, as I recall.

(...nice to see you remember it too, Mr. G)

I'm so ashamed I forgot about THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN; it needs to be shown at the New and Improved TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL 2020.  Along with THE CASSANDRA CROSSING (1977) and THE MISSING ARE DEADLY (1974-Tvm).  

I saw the actress SHEILA TERRY in a few movies from the 1930s.  I liked her.  I looked up whatever became of her and it wasn't pleasant.   

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Ummmmm............  Top---------------

Dargo, if I'm not mistaken, referred to actresses/actors you newly discovered  AFTER they died of old age 20-40+ years ago.  And unless you're actually a preteen masquerading  as a much older film studies graduate in his late 20's-early 30's, there's NO WAY someone who claims to be as astute a student of classic film can lay claim to have NOT known of Ms. Leigh or Ms. Powers 20 or so years after their deaths.  Leigh's in 2004, and Powers' in 2007.    And you kinda worry me with the GUYS catching your eye thing!  ;) 

And I think the word for it, psychologically or otherwise, is LECHERY!  ;) 

Anyway.....

Can't actually claim to be "crushing", but not long ago was taken by the actress who portrayed Stan Laurel's wife in BE BIG;   ISABELLE KEITH.  Y'all have to look her up as I can't do the photo post thing.  :(

Sepiatone

It would be okay with me if some people here would want to mention actors and actresses who maybe died more recently than 20 years or so ago, Sepia. In fact, I think I'll go up there to my OP and change that to read "10/20/30+" and also the "of old age" thing too.

However yes, I would kind'a prefer that those they do mention here were perhaps lesser known or almost forgotten by even we who are fairly well versed in classic films, and so then with the idea that happening upon the deceased actor or actress for the first time, and then posting their subsequent newfound fascination with the deceased.

And now, here's a shot of your gal Isabelle Keith...

isabelle_keith___perfect_day_colour.jpg

(...nice lookin' lady...I can easily see why she struck your fancy)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes TB, I understand there IS a clinical term for this. And I know this because just a few hours ago I put in a call to Dr. Phil and he answered this for me.

He told me in his little folksy Oklahoman twang that it's called "Necrocrushia", and that people who have this condition are prone to watch too many classic movies.

He then went on to say that in the classic movie genre, there are more than a few films which depict people with this condition of developing a crush on another who are or might be dead before the person with this condition would come to know of the object of their desire. He mentioned in particular Dana Andrews in Laura, and also Gene Tierney in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

;)

(...btw, I liked your picks...and in regard to Jason Evers who died in 2005, perhaps because I'm a few years older than you, I was already very familiar with him, as I remember seeing him quite a lot when he'd guest on many a TV series from the 1960s through the 1980s)

Thanks Dargo. I realized I had seen Jason Evers in an episode of Cannon or Barnaby Jones. But he was 15 years older in those shows than the way he looks on The Rebel c. 1960 I was really blown away by his acting. I'm a softie for Method Actors of all persuasions. When someone like Jason Evers appears on my radar, I ask "why"....why was this person not a bigger star? Etc.

About ten years ago I had become friends with a guy who knew David Manners. He told me all sorts of interesting things about David, why David quit Hollywood in 1938, what David did with the rest of his life. So I already knew quite a bit about him. But it was like rediscovering him all over again when I recently watched A BILL OF DIVORCEMENT.

Janet Leigh is another one that I feel like I am rediscovering. 

• Like 1

Another TV program I remember seeing Evers on as a semi-regular back in the day was, The Guns of Will Sonnett. This western which ran from 1967-1969 was sort of a take on John Ford's The Searchers, and starred Walter Brennan. It's premise was that Brennan and actor Dack Rambo who played his grandson, were searching the wild west of the 1870s for Brennan's son and Rambo's father who was played by Evers.

(...this series would spawn the much-used catchphrase "No brag, just fact" within the American vernacular for quite a while, and which Brennan would quite often say to other characters in this series after he'd tell them what he was capable of if they'd dare stand in his way)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay, I know there's GOT to be more lovers of classic films than just me around here who while watching some old movie on TCM have found themselves getting a little crush on some actor or actress who they had previously no knowledge of their existence before watching the movie. This happened again to me this evening while watching the Joe E. Brown SOTM tribute.

So, fess up here, folks! I KNOW this same sort of thing has had to have happened to many of my fellow TCM board member regulars. And so, here's your thread in which to share the story of your newfound crush while watching some old movie on TCM.

(...don't be shy now...they say "confession is good for the soul", ya know...and remember, I don't start many of these threads around here, so gimme some action here, folks...say, did that sound needy???) LOL

This happens to me all the time. I normally have wikipedia or imdb open while I'm watching movies at home for this reason.

Yvonne De Carlo

Yvonne_De_Carlo_publicity_photo+c.+1955.jpg

I only knew her from The Munsters (which I never cared for ), I didn't know she was a big star long before that.

• Like 2

I know she had a rep for not being the nicest person in the world, but I crushed on Margaret Lindsay in her 1930's fillms.

MV5BYzI4YzM4MTktNzNiNi00MzQwLThjNTgtZGUz

I also liked the lesser-known Evalyn Knapp from the 1930's. She starred in Sinners' Holiday (1931), the film debut of James Cagney.

tumblr_pno9wkmI3j1th6dde_540.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

This happens to me all the time. I normally have wikipedia or imdb open while I'm watching movies at home for this reason.

Yvonne De Carlo

Yvonne_De_Carlo_publicity_photo+c.+1955.jpg

I only knew her from The Munsters (which I never cared for ), I didn't know she was a big star long before that.

So then Gerald, can I then assume you were more an Addams Family sort'a guy back in the day?

(...I ask this of course because then I can also assume you might have also had this sort of similar later epiphany about Carolyn Jones too?)

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So then Gerald, can I then assume you were more an Addams Family sort'a guy back in the day?

(...I ask this of course because then I can also assume you might have also had this sort of similar later epiphany about Carolyn Jones too?)

I didn't care for that one either, nor Gilligan's Island. I was more into Get Smart, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched of that era.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

SAGE WISDOM:  Flattery may get one nowhere, but being squashed into a mass of 'road guts' will leave you cold. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I'm so ashamed I forgot about THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN; it needs to be shown at the New and Improved TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL 2020.  Along with THE CASSANDRA CROSSING (1977) and THE MISSING ARE DEADLY (1974-Tvm).  

I saw the actress SHEILA TERRY in a few movies from the 1930s.  I liked her.  I looked up whatever became of her and it wasn't pleasant.   

You guys forgot another one here...

s-l1000.jpg

A pretty good movie, actually.

Oh, and Mr. G., and re Sheila Terry...

Not being familiar with her myself, I just now checked her wiki bio page, and yep as you implied about her fate, dead at only 46 from a drug overdose.

Here's a shot of Sheila...

sheila-terry-photo_35184_19458.jpg

(...and now seeing what SHE looked like, all I can say here is that you must ALSO be a big Madonna fan TOO!) ;) 

• Like 2

I have a huge movie star crush on Richard Todd who is several decades older than me:

8-Richard%20Todd.jpg450?cb=20170625093738a90cc59dae3cc7fec93ffe8a671cec46.jpg

Especially when he smiles! MELT!!! I caught his movie VENETIAN BIRD on amazon prime just a couple weeks ago, so he's on my mind.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

I have a huge movie star crush on Richard Todd who is several decades older than me:

450?cb=20170625093738

Especially when he smiles! MELT!!! I caught his movie VENETIAN BIRD on amazon prime just a couple weeks ago, so he's on my mind.

Yeah, he's great. I wish he'd get a day in August. Excellent combination of vulnerability and determination in all his roles. 

If you liked VENETIAN BIRD, you might also like the noir he did with Valerie Hobson called THE INTERRUPTED JOURNEY (1949).

In the 60s, as he got older he defied ageism and was not really relegated to character parts. He continued to play leads for quite a while. THE VERY EDGE (1963) is on Amazon Prime. In that one, he is a suburban husband who tries to stop his wife's stalker from attacking again. Jeremy Brett, who went on to play Sherlock Holmes, is the lunatic stalker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea how to post photos but for me Ella Raines, Pauline Starke and Renee Adoree. I have been enamored with Starke ever since I saw her in the silent Captain Salvation and Adoree in The Big Parade.

1 minute ago, vidorisking said:

I have no idea how to post photos but for me Ella Raines, Pauline Starke and Renee Adoree. I have been enamored with Starke ever since I saw her in the silent Captain Salvation and Adoree in The Big Parade.

Ella Raines

Ella+Raines+%25280%2529.jpg

Pauline Starke

MV5BMTc3OTY4MzYxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjcy

Renee Adoree

bigparde.jpg

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Renee Adoree

bigparde.jpg

Aaah, so, THAT'S Adoree, HUH?!

Say, wasn't that a Dean Martin song TOO???

Okay, I'll stop now.

(...hey, what am I sayin' here...it's MY thread, ain't IT?!!!)

;)

• Haha 1