Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dargo

Crushing on that newly discovered by you actor/actress who died 10/20/30+ years ago

Btw here, Sepia...

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

OK.  Got another.....

Although I've seen the movie several times over the years, I must have been taking a bathroom break most of the previous times since it was only shortly after joining this site(Dec. 2011) that when watching 42nd STREET I finally noticed that knock-out blonde babe Dick Powell did the "Young and Healthy" number with.  Had NO idea who she was, and past member FRED C. DOBBS thankfully informed me it was TOBY WING,   Yep, she surely caught my eye, and I mostly watch the movie when it comes on just for HER appearance!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Wow! With all the excellent singing and dancing talent that Toby exhibited in this clip, you'd have thought she'd have become a MUCH bigger star than she turned out to be, wouldn't ya?!!! ;)

LOL 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

The previous mentioned scene here is really neither here nor there in service to my point of course, but I thought it was pretty cool that the scriptwriters included it.

They also managed to namedrop "TCM" in the same scene.

• Like 1

Yes, indeedy, Dargo.       

→ Here's the thing:  I couldn't think of an actor Rock Hudson could fight with whose last name was 'WALL' . . . so I had to go with 'QUARRY'.   :)

ALSO:  Speaking of TOBY WING . . . I have a movie with her in it.  MURDER AT THE VANITIES (1934).

• Thanks 1

Phyllis Brooks is another "secondary" actress that I didn't know much about until I saw The Shanghai Gesture (1941,  Victor Mature \ Gene Tierney).

I also saw Brooks in the 2 Charlie Chan films she made for Fox before Shanghai Gesture.

The most high profile film she was in was Wilson,   1944,  but this was an un-credited role as the granddaughter.

While she didn't have much of a career she really sparkles in The Shanghai Gesture and those Chan films.

Image result for phyllis brooks

• Like 1

I pretty much still only know Ann Blythe from Mildred Pierce, and I think maybe she was 17 when she filmed that movie, so, um, ahem ... ANYway, I saw a few of her films from a handful of years later on YouTube last year, and I find her adorable.

Ann Blyth and Zachary Scott in Mildred Pierce (1945)

• Like 2

I remember thinking one of the actresses in The Birth of a Nation was cute, but that may have been my mind wandering due to boredom.

I know it wasn't Lillian Gish, so I think it may have been Miriam Cooper.

330px-Miriam_Cooper_from_Stars_of_the_Ph

• Like 1

And a couple more, both co-stars with Harold Lloyd:

Jobyna Ralston

Jobyna-Ralston.jpg

Barbara Kent

17b75d954ebde6243877696b5480df96.jpg

• Like 1

I fell in love with Gail Russell probably first in The Uninvited. She was literally haunted in that movie but also haunt-ing in such films as The Wake of the Red Witch and one I caught on YouTube called The Great Dan Patch. I don't remember why she's in such a sexy dress in this photo. She's dressed down most of the movie. But I like the look, so I'm posting it.

Gail Russell and Highland Dale in The Great Dan Patch (1949)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I fell in love with Gail Russell probably first in The Uninvited. She was literally haunted in that movie but also haunt-ing in such films as The Wake of the Red Witch and one I caught on YouTube called The Great Dan Patch. I don't remember why she's in such a sexy dress in this photo. She's dressed down most of the movie. But I like the look, so I'm posting it.

Dennis O'Keefe and Gail Russell in The Great Dan Patch (1949)

I think that's Ruth Warrick, who played Dennis O'Keefe's upper class wife in the movie.

Gail Russell had long hair in THE GREAT DAN PATCH (1949):

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 6.20.33 PM.jpeg

Okay, put in a more representative pic of her from the film (since it's actually her!).

• Like 1

I also fell in love with another Gale, different spelling, Gale Storm, when TCM started regularly airing It Happened on Fifth Avenue in December. I haven't seen her in much else, except for The Underworld Story, which pairs her potentially romantically with a surprisingly heroic Dan Duryea.

Gale Storm in It Happened on Fifth Avenue (1947)

• Like 2

I just discovered the  beautiful silent star Olive Thomas, in the movie Out Yonder. She died way too young.

yzD0VfM.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

None of any of the above being crushes of mine.

Your choices, then?

*ahem*

OK top....  Don't tell me you didn't "crush" on BETTE DAVIS until 10-20-30 years after her 1989 death...?  ;)

And SEWHITE----  I had a "boyhood crush" on GALE STORM  since first spotting her on her  THE GALE STORM SHOW('56-'60) on TV.  Then later on MY LITTLE MARGIE reruns.  Yep. definitely a cutie.  I once almost fell into an extramarital fling with a woman simply because she resembled Gale Storm.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Speaking of Margies, I really fell in love with Jeanne Crain while stumbling across Margie on TCM on a lazy weekend afternoon, a rare treat for me, as I don't do much daytime TCM watching. I've seen her in maybe a half dozen films since then, but since she did a lot of her work at Fox, her TCM exposure, alas, is still fairly limited.

Jeanne Crain in Margie (1946)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:o

Just WHAT, or WHOM is she trying to describe in that photo?  ;)

Sepiatone

Frances Gifford as Zandra in TARZAN TRIUMPHS

MV5BYmY4NDBkNTQtZWUyMy00OTY3LTg2ZTUtZTNj

tarzan-triumphs-1.png?w=700

Not only was she sublimely beautiful but she came across as a nice person, too. Double Bonus! I had many a pleasant dream as a young boy about Gifford after watching her in this Tarzan film.

Of course prior to that she had played a similar role as the beautiful Nyoka in the Jungle Girl serial which, again, took advantage of her wholesome sexuality.

MV5BNmI4OGM3ODktODc3OS00ODZmLTk5ZjAtNWM5

Frances got out of the jungle when she got a contract at MGM for more "serious" roles. She didn't get a chance to play many there, though, perhaps her most noteworthy as a school teacher in Our Vines Have Tender Grapes.

And then tragedy struck this beautiful woman. She was in a bad automobile accident in 1947, suffering injuries to her head which had an effect on her personality and confidence as an actress, making a film comeback difficult. In fact during the 50s her physical and mental health declined to the state that she was placed in a mental hospital in 1958, and would be in an out of similar institutions for the next 25 years. She would later live and die in obscurity, working in a library (I believe) in her final years. What a contrast to her Hollywood days. Very sad.

But I prefer to remember her in her youth, and the tremendous crush that I had for her from her Tarzan film appearance.

MV5BNGNjMWViODMtNDk5My00Nzk2LTk0ZmYtN2Yz

• Like 2

Frances here always reminded me a bit of Donna Reed, Tom.

(...and yes, a real shame about her post-auto crash life, alright)

50 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Frances here always reminded me a bit of Donna Reed, Tom.

(...and yes, a real shame about her post-auto crash life, alright)

Dargo, you just reminded me that a had a thing for Donna, too, when I was a kid, based on her television series. Another wholesome beauty.

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Dargo, you just reminded me that a had a thing for Donna, too, when I was a kid, based on her television series. Another wholesome beauty.

Yep! She too was as you said "another wholesome beauty" alright, Tom.

(...well, other than the time she's a spinster librarian in a little upstate New York burg for a while, anyway)

• Like 1