Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dargo

Crushing on that newly discovered by you actor/actress who died 10/20/30+ years ago

Forgot another.  Paulette Godard, who I first remember from The Young in Heart (1938):

tumblr_lh16xpifmA1qa55qyo1_500.jpg

Gulp!

• Like 1

Here's a another beauty I remember just a few years ago first catching my eye in a film as I watched one of those "Whistler" movies (The Power of the Whistler) starring Richard Dix on TCM...

Janis Carter...

MV5BMmNlOGM1MzUtY2JlYS00ODBmLWFlODMtMWQz

Miss Carter here (1913-1994) would have 35 movie credits starting in 1941, and then go on to early television roles which included a stint as a quiz show hostess, and before retiring from the Biz to marry a lumber and shipping tycoon in the mid-'50s.

Coleen Gray is an actress that was in a lot of very good films typically in a secondary role like Kiss of Death,  Nightmare Alley,  Models Inc.  and one of her best roles in Kansas City Confidential.

image.jpeg.4e0b896ba0db39be678abb203d1e06ad.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Forgot another.  Paulette Godard, who I first remember from The Young in Heart (1938):

I have a crush on her as well, based on what level of her output I've seen, since she worked at Paramount a lot. My first TCM encounter with her was probably The Great Dictator, but I've also seen her in a movie she did with Bob Hope (The Cat and the Canary?) and a movie she did with Fred Astaire (Second Chorus?). Oh and Reap the Wild Wind. She might have made an interesting Scarlet O'Hara, based on her audition footage I've seen.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 7:01 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I only discovered Florence Rice a few years back.     When she was under contract at MGM she had some starring roles with Robert Young,  but she never made it big.

But when I see her now in a film,  she keeps me interested.

Image result for florence rice images

Ditto on Florence Rice.  Never heard of her before a couple of years ago. I think I first saw her in "Four Girls in White."  I think she's terrific.

• Like 1

Veronica Lake is maybe too obvious an example, but while I was aware of her name and something about her being a blonde who always had one eye covered by her hair, I'd never seen any of her work until I started watching TCM (and still not very much). I totally fell in love with her in Sullivan's Travels and I Married a Witch.

Veronica Lake and Ray Milland in I Wanted Wings (1941)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I have a crush on her as well, based on what level of her output I've seen, since she worked at Paramount a lot. My first TCM encounter with her was probably The Great Dictator, but I've also seen her in a movie she did with Bob Hope (The Cat and the Canary?) and a movie she did with Fred Astaire (Second Chorus?). Oh and Reap the Wild Wind. She might have made an interesting Scarlet O'Hara, based on her audition footage I've seen.

sewhite, if you haven't ever caught Paulette in Hold Back the Dawn (1941) and where she plays in a supporting role a gold digger but a likable one, don't miss it the next time TCM shows it.

(...you'll love her in that one too)

Thanks.  Yes, I saw it this year during 31 Days, and there was at least one other time TCM aired it that I also watched. I didn't think of it during my post, but it is a great performance of hers.

10 hours ago, TomJH said:

And then tragedy struck this beautiful woman. She was in a bad automobile accident in 1947, suffering injuries to her head which had an effect on her personality and confidence as an actress, making a film comeback difficult. In fact during the 50s her physical and mental health declined to the state that she was placed in a mental hospital in 1958, and would be in an out of similar institutions for the next 25 years. She would later live and die in obscurity, working in a library (I believe) in her final years. What a contrast to her Hollywood days. Very sad.

This reminds me of ...

KBGZ0Qi.jpg

...Susan Peters, who also suffered an accident. In her case, the accident put her in a wheelchair. The above is from Random Harvest. She did a couple of movies playing disabled characters but she suffered throughout the rest of her life and died rather young. I did not know of her before this film and she qualifies for the category of unsung and unknown sweeties from the 40s, for me.

• Like 1

Leila Hyams is an attractive blonde actress of the silents and '30s that I always found appealing.

MV5BMTg0ODEyNDc0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTc5

57e975fb1fc67dc4162b04a32e4d16f8.jpg

She retired quite early in 1936, unfortunately. Her two best remembered films, in both of which her roles are overshadowed, are probably Freaks and Island of Lost Souls. Other films include The Thirteenth Chair, The Big House, Phantom of Paris, Red Headed Woman and Ruggles of Red Gap. I don't know that I actually had a crush on the lady (perhaps her roles weren't quite distinguished enough) but I certainly noticed her.

• Like 2

One thing that occurs to me going through this thread is that most of the examples are quite young. 

Is it unfashionable to have a crush on an older man or an older woman? Do people stop being sexy after a certain age?

• Like 1

Yes.

No, ha ha, I don't know. Different people have different tastes. In the "real world", I'm afraid to call attention to a younger woman I find attractive to my peers, because they tend to react with a lot of judgment and "ewww, gross, you pervert!" mentality.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

One thing that occurs to me going through this thread is that most of the examples are quite young. 

Is it unfashionable to have a crush on an older man or an older woman? Do people stop being sexy after a certain age?

Yeah, ya know TB, this a actually a very good observation here. It DOES seem we've concentrated on the younger gals in this thing, haven't we.

And so now I suppose I should just come right on out and admit it here.

(...I'll never forget how I was so taken the first time I saw Dame May Whitty in that old movie I watched years ago)  

;)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You're right. I've been watching the TV show The Prisoner on YouTube and it's come to my attention Patrick McGoohan is attractive. I liked him in Columbo, Silver Streak, and Escape from Alcatraz. He looks to be in his late forties. I really love his voice, too. I could listen to him talk all day. Good-looking in a mature and distinguished way.

silverstreak4.jpeg

• Like 3

Okay, and now in answer to your observation and in a little more serious manner here, TB...

I DO remember in my much younger days getting quite a crush on a middle-aged Myrna Loy, and when I first ever noticed her in, I think it was, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. Although, it also might have been the first time I ever caught sight of her in my favorite movie of all time, The Best Years of Our Lives, and when I first watched that movie back in my early-twenties.

(...and although I doubt I was alone in these feelings for her, as during her later career, she would pretty much often play variations of the lovable and almost perfect American housewife in many a movie, ya know)

• Like 1

Hey, TB! I've just thought of another occurrence of me crushin' on an older actress here! And no, not Dame May Whitty again. ;)

In the 1992 film A League of Their Own, the actress who at the beginning and at the end of this movie played the then current times older character Dottie that Geena Davis played in the main flashback parts of this film, was named Lynn Cartwright (1927-2004), and so would have been 65 years old when she acted this part...

lynn-cartwright.jpg

Miss Cartwright was for 50 years married to big movie tough guy Leo Gordon until his death in 2000. Her acting career was never big and with only 17 movie credits of mostly bit parts in her filmography. One of those bit part roles being one of the Venusian women in the camp classic Queen of Outer Space, and another as the elevator supervisor with the clicker in my second favorite film of all time, The Apartment.

(...yep, I still remember how this here then 40 y/o guy -me- thought she was just about the most attractive older lady I had ever seen while I watched that Penny Marshall movie first-run, back in '92)

• Like 1

Well, when it comes to my developing a crush on an older woman I have to admit that . . .

Maria-Ouspenskaya_main.jpg

Nah, you'd never believe me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, May Whitty and Maria Ouspenskaya were babes. LOL

Rudy's Girl mentioned Patrick McGoohan. How about Roger Moore as Bond in the late 70s and early 80s? He had plastic surgery right before he made A VIEW TO A KILL (1985), but up through OCTOPUSSY he still looked great.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hey, TB! I've just thought of another occurrence of me crushin' on an older actress here! And no, not Dame May Whitty again. ;)

In the 1992 film A League of Their Own, the actress who at the beginning and at the end of this movie played the then current times older character Dottie that Geena Davis played in the main flashback parts of this film, was named Lynn Cartwright (1927-2004), and so would have been 65 years old when she acted this part...

lynn-cartwright.jpg

Miss Cartwright was for 50 years married to big movie tough guy Leo Gordon until his death in 2000. Her acting career was never big and with only 17 movie credits of mostly bit parts in her filmography. One of those bit part roles being one of the Venusian women in the camp classic Queen of Outer Space, and another as the elevator supervisor with the clicker in my second favorite film of all time, The Apartment.

(...yep, I still remember how this here then 40 y/o guy -me- thought she was just about the most attractive older lady I had ever seen while I watched that Penny Marshall movie first-run, back in '92)

I don't remember Lynn Cartwright from A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN. Nice photo. I will have to watch this movie again.

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I thought the older Dottie was Geena Davis in makeup. 😳

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Eye of the beholder I guess?  Well....

As one who's recently departed wife was 10 years my senior, I'd unequivocally say NO!  Age and being sexy  aren't exclusive to youth.   And the posting of LYNN CARTWRIGHT is proof of that.  And even when in her 50's and into her early 80's, JUNE LOCKHART is still one sexy babe!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I thought the older Dottie was Geena Davis in makeup. 😳

Well, in order to help her pass as an older Geena, they did even apply that little mole that Geena has on her left cheek to Lynn's face, and so I suppose I can understand your confusion here, sagebrush.

However, I'll just add here that as lovely as Geena is, she was never as hot as Lynn was in her youth. At least I don't think so, anyway...

lynn+cartwright+...the+wsp+woman+...bygo

(...the above still of her taken from the 1959 movie The Wasp Woman)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

At this moment, someone somewhere on the internet is declaring what they'd do to Helen Mirren if given the opportunity. My type in the last couple of years might be described as "preppy Grandpa." And a couple of months ago on a Facebook group I frequent there was discussion of whether or not Frank Morgan was supposed to be a h0++!3 in A Lost Lady (1934). (I do know that in Success at Any Price (also 1934) Morgan was a serious competitor to Douglas Fairbanks Jr.)

Edited by Polly of the Precodes
What doesn't Otto Censor object to?
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, May Whitty and Maria Ouspenskaya were babes. LOL

Confession time. On another site once, they had a thread of sex symbols who you thought were not as attractive as was commonly thought. I decided to joke about and chose Una O'Connor. Probably the only time she has been referred as one!

• Like 1