Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dargo

Crushing on that newly discovered by you actor/actress who died 10/20/30+ years ago

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Confession time. On another site once, they had a thread of sex symbols who you thought were not as attractive as was commonly thought. I decided to joke about and chose Una O'Connor. Probably the only time she has been referred as one!

Yeah...she's an interesting choice. :) 

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Confession time. On another site once, they had a thread of sex symbols who you thought were not as attractive as was commonly thought. I decided to joke about and chose Una O'Connor. Probably the only time she has been referred as one!

Well, maybe not THAT "Una", but there sure was another Una that was cute as a button back in the day, and by the last name of "Merkel" here...

unamerkel8.jpg

Her comedic timing and line delivery was second to none.

(...and one of the very few actresses I ever found who sported a southern accent which somehow actually added to their appeal to me)

• Like 2

Dargo,

You do realize that this has to be one of the longest thread titles around.

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.13.46 PM.png

Me and my mom have always crushed on Richard Hatch. I love the original Battlestar Galactica. Although, he's only been gone for a few years. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well, I'll show him anyway.

And speaking of older men, I've always thought Lorne Greene is attractive. Again, love that voice.

297b58f9d9ec536724ffa52aa7f85b00.jpg

dd4dba2624c450e87b035782235f0ca9.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Me and my mom have always crushed on Richard Hatch. I love the original Battlestar Galactica. Although, he's only been gone for a few years. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well, I'll show him anyway.

And speaking of older men, I've always thought Lorne Greene is attractive. Again, love that voice.

297b58f9d9ec536724ffa52aa7f85b00.jpg

RG, then you probably remember when Hatch replaced Michael Douglas on The Streets of San Francisco, don't yadd4dba2624c450e87b035782235f0ca9.jpg

RG, then you probably remember when Hatch replaced Michael Douglas on "The Streets of San Francisco", don't ya. That would be the first time I remember seeing him in anything.

Yep, I always liked the guy too.

(...but probably not in the same way as you and your mom) ;) 

• Like 1

Speaking of TV crushes, who didn't love this guy. You gotta admire the way Robert Urich makes eating spaghetti look fun at the end of the opening credits:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Dargo,

You do realize that this has to be one of the longest thread titles around.

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.13.46 PM.png

Well, I guess this just goes to show ya that there were/are a whole lot of bygone "crushables" for folks to make note of here, huh TB. ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

(...and one of the very few actresses I ever found who sported a southern accent which somehow actually added to their appeal to me)

I forgot about that Una. I like her in movies. What's wrong with southern accents? I think I have a little one. I can't stand actors who obviously "put-on" like that redheaded woman in Pillow Talk. Not appealing at all, honey lamb.

YdV1yRrtCGGBkpVN5uM5aAY8xN9MN1BTp6J1GJGu

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I forgot about that Una. I like her in movies. What's wrong with southern accents? I think I have a little one. I can't stand actors who obviously "put-on" like that redheaded woman in Pillow Talk. Not appealing at all, honey lamb.

YdV1yRrtCGGBkpVN5uM5aAY8xN9MN1BTp6J1GJGu

Oooh boy. I KNEW I shouldn't have posted that! LOL

And no offense was intended with that comment RG,  and perhaps the reason I've always felt that way about this might be as you mentioned here...the idea of the put-on "honey lamb" or "Well, bless your little heart, sugar" style of southern accent exemplified by the example you posted here.

Nope, that sort'a thing in particular never did a thing for me.

(...and maybe why I've always liked Una Merkel, because her characters for the most part seemed devoid of such pretense)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Oooh boy. I KNEW I shouldn't have posted that! LOL

And no offense was intended with that comment RG,  and perhaps the reason I've always felt that way about this might be as you mentioned here...the idea of the put-on "honey lamb" or "Well, bless your little heart, sugar" style of southern accent exemplified by the example you posted here.

Nope, that sort'a thing in particular never did a thing for me.

(...and maybe why I've always liked Una Merkel, and because her characters for the most part seemed devoid of such pretense)

I'm not bothered at all. Just sayin'. 😊 You don't have to tiptoe around my feelings. Thank you, though.

11 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I'm not bothered at all. Just sayin'. 😊 You don't have to tiptoe around my feelings. Thank you, though.

LOL

I'll just bet you're more the Una Merkel type though, aren't ya RG! ;) 

321.jpg

"Is there not, I say, is there not someone out there crushing for a ROOSTER? Rooster, that is. Because, if so, here, I say, here I am!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

HA!

My Mom had a best friend( we always knew her as, and addressed her as "Aunt Sarah") who was from the South (not sure where exactly) who hated those put-on Southern accents too.  At least, I don't ever recall her saying "honey lamb" .    However, what she mostly said were words that came off one of the saltiest tongues I ever heard!  ;)   We often quipped, "I think Aunt Sarah gave cussing lessons to drunken sailors."  :D   She was a great lady who left us way too early but with a trainload of great memories.  :wub:

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Alreet then, Honey Lambs, I remember this one time some chick was crushing on some dude -- she actually had his head caught in a vice and crushed his features until his eyeballs popped out and ran around on the floor.  She then plucked them off the linoleum and tossed 'em in to the stew she was making.  → See, she was out of pearl onions and decided male eyeballs were a sufficient substitute.  God Bless 'er.  Her stew turned out GREAT!   :)

12 hours ago, TomJH said:

321.jpg

"Is there not, I say, is there not someone out there crushing for a ROOSTER? Rooster, that is. Because, if so, here, I say, here I am!"

:wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, TomJH said:

321.jpg

Only as coq-au-vin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last night I watched Go West with The Marx Brothers and I couldn't help but notice the straight man in the movie, John Carroll.

20041_110496387300.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Last night I watched Go West with The Marx Brothers and I couldn't help but notice the straight man in the movie, John Carroll.

20041_110496387300.jpg

His contract was shared between MGM and Republic. So he did a lot of different films at the two studios. He was still doing lead roles in the late 50s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Alreet then, Honey Lambs, I remember this one time some chick was crushing on some dude -- she actually had his head caught in a vice and crushed his features until his eyeballs popped out and ran around on the floor.  She then plucked them off the linoleum and tossed 'em in to the stew she was making.  → See, she was out of pearl onions and decided male eyeballs were a sufficient substitute.  God Bless 'er.  Her stew turned out GREAT!   :)

Could be a "Little Willie" poem with some work....  like one of my favorites-----

Willie once while fishing late;

Cut his sister up for bait;

We miss her when it's time to dine;

But willie's fish tastes simply fine!  :) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

His contract was shared between MGM and Republic. So he did a lot of different films at the two studios. He was still doing lead roles in the late 50s.

John Carroll is a good fit for this thread;    not a big star but often a wing man and he wasn't in many first rate films but he was in a many films and in some great ones like Only Angels Have Wings.

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

John Carroll is a good fit for this thread;    not a big star but often a wing man and he wasn't in many first rate films but he was in a many films and in some great ones like Only Angels Have Wings.

I think it's  bit problematic to say a star wasn't in well-known or "essential" films. I know you are not dismissing him. I'm a firm believer that some stars deliver solid work in unheralded films and they often go unrecognized. I would say John Carroll is just such a person.

He doesn't have to be in an Oscar winner or in a film directed by Hitchcock, Wilder or Spielberg for us to know how good he was.

10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's  bit problematic to say a star wasn't in well-known or "essential" films. I know you are not dismissing him. I'm a firm believer that some stars deliver solid work in unheralded films and they often go unrecognized. I would say John Carroll is just such a person.

He doesn't have to be in an Oscar winner or in a film directed by Hitchcock, Wilder or Spielberg for us to know how good he was.

I agree with this 100%.      I was going to add a comment and now I see that I should have related to his role in Only Angels Have Wings;    I remember the first time I saw the film and remember thinking;  you know that Carroll guy is the only actor on screen that has a screen persona that could have played the leading role Cary Grant is playing.   Yea,  Carroll had the looks,  the charm,  sense of humor etc....   

Always felt that way about him,    but the end result of one's career is just that and Carroll just wasn't given enough opportunity to shine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree with this 100%.      I was going to add a comment and now I see that I should have related to his role in Only Angels Have Wings;    I remember the first time I saw the film and remember thinking;  you know that Carroll guy is the only actor on screen that has a screen persona that could have played the leading role Cary Grant is playing.   Yea,  Carroll had the looks,  the charm,  sense of humor etc....   

Always felt that way about him,    but the end result of one's career is just that and Carroll just wasn't given enough opportunity to shine.

I think he was given more opportunities at Republic than at MGM. Over there he was on the same level as John Wayne and Sterling Hayden...put into the studio's big budget "A" westerns and dramas, usually with Vera Ralston, the wife of studio boss Herbert Yates. I think Republic eventually bought out the rest of his contract from MGM, since he continued to do Republic pictures through 1959 until the studio closed. In fact, he is the male lead of the very last feature film that Republic produced. 

I read somewhere awhile back that he and his wife (a casting director who worked at MGM) ran or sponsored a camp for boys. It was some sort of ranch where troubled intercity youth could go in the summers to learn discipline and lifelong skills. He became known for his charitable and philanthropic endeavors. He was by most accounts a very well-liked person in the Hollywood community.

I agree that John Carroll had a charisma that could match Cary Grant or Clark Gable. Plus he could act.

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 5.32.38 PM 2.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Funny you chose that expression to describe John Carroll's oft casting in the movies, James.

You see, the first film I ever recall seeing him in was when I was young kid and while watching Flying Tigers (1942) on TV, that starred John Wayne in the lead. As I recall, Carroll played a young hotshot flyer that Wayne has to teach him to be a team player.

(...I now have to wonder if you used that expression because you might have subconsciously remembered seeing him in this movie years ago too and besides the fact that he was also in OAHW)