Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crushing on that newly discovered by you actor/actress who died 10/20/30+ years ago

44 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Funny you chose that expression to describe John Carroll's oft casting in the movies, James.

You see, the first film I ever recall seeing him in was when I was young kid and while watching Flying Tigers (1942) on TV, that starred John Wayne in the lead. As I recall, Carroll played a young hotshot flyer that Wayne has to teach him to be a team player.

(...I now have to wonder if you used that expression because you might have subconsciously remembered seeing him in this movie years ago too and besides the fact that he was also in OAHW) 

I have seen Flying Tigers and I really enjoyed Carroll as the hotshot flyer but I was only thinking of OAHW when I used the term "wing man".    Of course Carroll was a wing man in many films that didn't involve airplanes and flying.    In addition sometimes the person he was the wing man for was a women; E.g.  Hired Wife,  where he assist Rosalind Russell with landing her man,    Brian Aherne  over Virginia Bruce.

• Like 2

I didn't read through all six pages so forgive me if someone has already chosen my star. I have been in love with Natalie Wood since I was ten years old.  I first saw her in WEST SIDE STORY and I think I've seen almost all of her movies from MIRACLE ON 34th STREET to  BRAINSTORM.  I've always been in love with Audrey Hepburn too, but she finishes second to Natalie.  My favorite of her films even though it wasn't a big hit was PENELOPE. LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER was a favorite too. I was crushed when she died so suddenly and under suspicious circumstances in 1981.

PS Sorry I didn't comply with the "newly discovered" part of the question.  If I had to pick a star that I didn't know anything about until recently I guess it would be Audrey Totter.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I didn't read through all six pages so forgive me if someone has already chosen my star. I have been in love with Natalie Wood since I was ten years old.  I first saw her in WEST SIDE STORY and I think I've seen almost all of her movies from MIRACLE ON 34th STREET to  BRAINSTORM.  I've always been in love with Audrey Hepburn too, but she finishes second to Natalie.  My favorite of her films even though it wasn't a big hit was PENELOPE. LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER was a favorite too. I was crushed when she died so suddenly and under suspicious circumstances in 1981.

PS Sorry I didn't comply with the "newly discovered" part of the question.  If I had to pick a star that I didn't know anything about until recently I guess it would be Audrey Totter.

Hogan, you might have seen the following before. It's one of Roddy McDowall's many home movies he filmed at his Malibu beach house during the parties he held there in the mid-'60s.

However, if you've never run across these before, and after reading your above thoughts here, I have a feeling you're really gonna love this one in particular...

• Like 1

I've had a crush on John Payne ever since I saw him in "Week-End in Havana," "Springtime in the Rockies" and "Tin Pan Alley."

John_Payne_plays_Solitaire,_1945.jpg

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Midge said:

I've had a crush on John Payne. ever since I saw him in "Week-End in Havana," "Springtime in the Rockies" and "Tin Pan Alley."

John_Payne_plays_Solitaire,_1945.jpg

Those of course would be some of his earlier lighter fare, Midge. Do you also like Payne in some of his more meatier noir roles as he aged?

(...I ask this because it seems I've grown more of an appreciation for the guy in recent years and after seeing him in some of those)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hogan, you might have seen the following before. It's one of Roddy McDowall's many home movies he filmed at his Malibu beach house during the parties he held there in the mid-'60s.

However, if you've never run across these before, and after reading your above thoughts here, I have a feeling you're really gonna love this one in particular...

Wow, thanks Dargo. I haven't seen these home movies before now. Nat looks great as usual. 

16 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Good poem.  And so poetic, too! 

:D 

Discovered "Little Willie" poems in some high school library book back in '67 or so.  Thought they were a hoot.  

Sepiatone

16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

John Carroll is a good fit for this thread;    not a big star but often a wing man and he wasn't in many first rate films but he was in a many films and in some great ones like Only Angels Have Wings.

Yeah, but if he wasn't an angel,then would this be his theme?........

Sepiatone

I only "discovered" Cathy Downs a few years back after watching The Dark Corner,   a 20th Century \ Fox film MOVIES-TV shows often.    I realized I had seen her before in My Darling Clementine,   as the namesake of the film,   but she was overshadowed in that film by Linda Darnell.

The noir,  The Dark Corner  main female star was Lucille Ball but Downs has a good role and does fine as the young wife of Clifton Webb.

Like a lot of actress her best work was in these early films.    Downs bounced around various non-major studios doing "B" westerns and other light stuff like the cheese cake photo below from The Amazing Colossal Man, .

Image result for cathy downsscream_play.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Those of course would be some of his earlier lighter fare, Midge. Do you also like Payne in some of his more meatier noir roles as he aged?

(...I ask this because it seems I've grown more of an appreciation for the guy in recent years and after seeing him in some of those)

I thought he was good but not great in noir roles. It is understandable that he wouldn't have enjoyed being a foil to Betty Grable or Alice Faye and wanted to be taken seriously as a dramatic actor. I have to admit, though, that I find him not as appealing in dramatic roles as in musicals.

1 hour ago, Midge said:

I thought he was good but not great in noir roles. It is understandable that he wouldn't have enjoyed being a foil to Betty Grable or Alice Faye and wanted to be taken seriously as a dramatic actor. I have to admit, though, that I find him not as appealing in dramatic roles as in musicals.

It is my understanding that Payne decided to take on noir roles and a more tough guy screen persona after being the foil for this guy:

Image result for john payne miracle on 34th street

• Like 1
On 3/18/2020 at 1:23 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I only "discovered" Cathy Downs a few years back after watching The Dark Corner,   a 20th Century \ Fox film MOVIES-TV shows often.    I realized I had seen her before in My Darling Clementine,   as the namesake of the film,   but she was overshadowed in that film by Linda Darnell.

The noir,  The Dark Corner  main female star was Lucille Ball but Downs has a good role and does fine as the young wife of Clifton Webb.

Like a lot of actress her best work was in these early films.    Downs bounced around various non-major studios doing "B" westerns and other light stuff like the cheese cake photo below from The Amazing Colossal Man, .

Image result for cathy downsscream_play.jpg

TCM showed  My Darling Clementine with Cathy Downs,   last night (Thursday).      While the film isn't historically accurate,    it is a very well made film and my favorite Ford film, as well as favorite Henry Fonda performance.       Victor Mature is very good as Doc Holliday.       At the same time MOVIES-TV was showing The Las Vegas Story with Mature.   

Note that Alan Mowbray is in My Darling Clementine as a Shakespearean actor.     He also played a actor in I Wake Up Screaming,  another film he did with Mature.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM showed  My Darling Clementine with Cathy Downs,   last night (Thursday).      While the film isn't historically accurate,    it is a very well made film and my favorite Ford film, as well as favorite Henry Fonda performance.       Victor Mature is very good as Doc Holliday.       At the same time MOVIES-TV was showing The Las Vegas Story with Mature.   

Note that Alan Mowbray is in My Darling Clementine as a Shakespearean actor.     He also played a actor in I Wake Up Screaming,  another film he did with Mature.

Mowbray worked with Ford again (having a more substantial role) in WAGON MASTER (1950).  I always thought he was a rather unusual choice to be included in the Ford Stock Players company.

Of course nobody here is crushing on Mowbray, are they? So carry on..!

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Mowbray worked with Ford again (having a more substantial role) in WAGON MASTER (1950).  I always thought he was a rather unusual choice to be included in the Ford Stock Players company.

Of course nobody here is crushing on Mowbray, are they? So carry on..!

Yea,   I forgot that Mowbray was in these Ford westerns.    An unusual choice for sure.       During the 40s and 50s Mowbray took on different roles than what he was known for in the 30s,  light comedy.

Image result for alan mowbray

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,   I forgot that Mowbray was in these Ford westerns.    An unusual choice for sure.       During the 40s and 50s Mowbray took on different roles than what he was known for in the 30s,  light comedy.

Image result for alan mowbray

I looked up his collaborations with Ford and I see he was also in MARY OF SCOTLAND (1936).

I think Alan Curtis is so cute. I looked him up and found out he died so young. He was only 43. I just watched him in The Invisible Man's Revenge, and I remember seeing him in Buck Privates and The Naughty Nineties, the last two being Abbott and Costello movies.

MV5BMzcwZTRmOTEtMmI4NS00MWRhLTg0ZDAtMjU2

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

8RKV6yF.jpg

I don't believe I have ever published my list on this thread. Never got around to it. But here is my latest "entry". I have mentioned many times how, in my old age, I have developed "crushes" on screen actresses (though my latter day crushes are considerable more staid than those of yore, as they are more of the avuncular variety.) and many of them minor characters and/or obscure actresses. This is Zoe Kazan (any relation?, probably) who played an adorable mother in The Plot Against America, a miniseries available on HBOmax. This might not be the best photo of her, but it does represent much of what she experience, the rigors of being persecuted by being Jew.ish She is such a sweetie. Her performance was wonderful. She has a recalcitrant husband, and three boys, so nurturing. One great scene she in on her hands and knees on the kitchen floor while on the phone trying to comfort a young child whose mother is not home yet (and she will never get home).

Actually I have violated the rules of the thread. 30 or 40 years ago? Yeah, most of them are like that but I thought a little cheating might not hurt too much. Zoe is such a cutie, we can make an exception for her. And oops, she's sill alive.

Prn4b0r.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, I also get crushes on men. Mancrushes, that is. I'll post one if I'm thinking of ... if I can find the photo. If I could live my life over again as a handsome dude, this is the one!!!!

I was sitting in my residence watching the Adventures of Superman in 2016.  The Police Commissioner calls on the intercom for Sargent O' Hara to come into his office.  The door opens and this gorgeous, heavenly woman walks into the picture.  I was like a Tex Avery wolf cartoon character.   I almost jumped out of my chair, my eyes popped out of my head,  my jaw hit the floor.   I had never heard of or seen Joi Lansing until that moment.  I was extremely disappointed to discover that she past away at such a young age in 1972.

Joi Lansing

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

I was sitting in my residence watching the Adventures of Superman in 2016.  The Police Commissioner calls on the intercom for Sargent O' Hara to come into his office.  The door opens and this gorgeous, heavenly woman walks into the picture.  I was like a Tex Avery wolf cartoon character.   I almost jumped out of my chair, my eyes popped out of my head,  my jaw hit the floor.   I had never heard of or seen Joi Lansing until that moment.  I was extremely disappointed to discover that she past away at such an early age in 1972.

Joi Lansing

Joi Lansing was in the “Desert Island” episode of “I Love Lucy.”  She plays one of the contestants of a beauty pageant that Ricky and Fred are judging. 

My folks got me watching GUNSMOKE on cable recently.....and James Arness sure fits the tall, dark, handsome fella to a  T as Marshall Dillon.

Dennis Weaver as Chester wasn't such a bad looker himself when he was younger.

Heck, even the good Doc Adams, crotchety old fella that he was, had a certain amount of charm to him.