Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dargo

Crushing on that newly discovered by you actor/actress who died 10/20/30+ years ago

Another famous actress I recently "discovered" is Rita Hayworth. I heard her name often, but for some unknown reason I hadn't seen any of her films.  Over the last few months I've watched GILDA, THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI and AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD. I'm hoping to see more of her as I learned she made 61 films during her prolific career.

I had a crush on William Holden, Tyrone Power and Laurence Olivier.

William Holden in Love is a Many Splendored Thing

Tyrone Power in The Razor's Edge

Laurence Oliver in Pride and Prejudice and Rebecca.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

I had a crush on William Holden, Tyrone Power and Laurence Olivier.

William Holden in Love is a Many Splendored Thing

Tyrone Power in The Razor's Edge

Laurence Oliver in Pride and Prejudice and Rebecca.

In that case, I guess I'll admit to having what is now called a "man-crush" on Holden and Power, but not so much Olivier.

But in my case on Bill in Sunset Blvd and Stalag 17, and on Ty in The Mark of Zorro.

(...Larry just always seemed a little too, oh I dunno, effete let's say...but then again you know how those British guys usually are, don't ya?!)  ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

In that case, I guess I'll admit to having what is now called a "man-crush" on Holden and Power, but not so much Olivier.

(...Larry just always seemed a little too, oh I dunno, effete let's say...but then again you know how those British guys usually are, don't ya?!)  ;)

I thought Olivier was gorgeous as the headstrong Heathcliff in 1939's WUTHERING HEIGHTS and as Mr. Darcy in the following year's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, not so much as Maxim de Winter in  REBECCA the same year. Even much less so in 1976's MARATHON MAN (but he was in his elder years by then).

Just now, Bethluvsfilms said:

I thought Olivier was gorgeous as the headstrong Heathcliff in 1939's WUTHERING HEIGHTS and as Mr. Darcy in the following year's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, not so much in  REBECCA the same year. Even much less so in 1976's MARATHON MAN (but he was in his elder years by then).

Yeah, actually I guess I like Larry in Wuthering Heights alright, although not enough to form any "man-crush" on him.

(...but yeah, I guess it's safe to say his role in Marathon Man sure did set back the image of dentistry in the public eye quite a bit, didn't it) ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, actually I guess I like Larry in Wuthering Heights alright, although not enough to form any "man-crush" on him.

(...but yeah, I guess it's safe to say his role in Marathon Man sure did set back the image of dentistry in the public eye quite a bit, didn't it) ;)

Well MARATHON MAN probably didn't make a lot of folks anxious to make an appointment with their local dentist any time soon after seeing the movie, lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Well MARATHON MAN probably didn't make a lot of folks anxious to make an appointment with their local dentist any time soon after seeing the movie, lol.

LOL

I've kidded my dentist about this very thing, and I remember him telling me that he's always hated that movie just for this very reason.

• Like 1

Yes, I don't imagine MARATHON MAN is too popular with a lot of dentists.

Personally I never had any problem with going to mine.

Not crushing on this guy, but totally fascinated by his life story - Lawrence Tierney (1919-2002). I just discovered him when Virginia went into total lockdown and I didn't have my work computers set up yet.  He was absolutely fascinating in Dillinger and especially Born To Kill. And then I start reading about him and how he drank and brawled himself right out of a career.  He seemed to do OK as far as not making trouble until he was in Dillinger in 1945. From then on nobody could control his behavior and RKO let him go. But yet he kept on acting. He would be gone for years and then return and still get acting jobs. He didn't have a nest egg because of his blown career, so he kept acting in small parts up until he went into a rest home after he had a stroke, about the year 2000.  He was just weeks if not days of making it to 83 when he died. His cleaner living brothers lived to only be  61 and and 55.  His mother committed suicide in 1960 at the age of 64.  He was very good at chess, loved poetry, and tried to punch Eddie Muller when Lawrence showed up uninvited at a showing of Born to Kill in 1998. I'd love to know what made this guy tick. 

• Like 1