Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

Ten "first timers" that I'd like to see on the schedule:

MARY PICKFORD
LAWRENCE TIERNEY
YVONNE DE CARLO
BURL IVES
CAROLE LANDIS
ROBERT YOUNG
SALLY FIELD
HARRY BELAFONTE
LILLI PALMER
RICHARD TODD

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 7.52.35 PM.jpeg

• Like 2

I would like to see:

Joseph Schildkraut

John Mills

Dorothy Gish

Charles Bickford

Edmond O'Brien

Miles Mander

Jane Darwell

Valerie Hobson

and, if he doesn't get some kind of TCM Tribute, Max von Sydow.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, sagebrush said:

I would like to see:

Joseph Schildkraut

John Mills

Dorothy Gish

Charles Bickford

Edmond O'Brien

Miles Mander

Jane Darwell

Valerie Hobson

Oh yeah, I'm on board for a John Mills tribute. Definitely. 

And I do like a lot of Valerie Hobson's films.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

They have seemed in recent years to start making one SUTS honoree someone who worked heavily in foreign language films. Von Sydow would be an excellent choice this year if not honored otherwise.

• Like 4

Hayley Mills

Ward Bond

Beulah Bondi

Louis Calhern

Edward Everett Horton

Agnes Moorehead

Sylvia Sidney

Margaret Sullavan

Alan Bates

Max Von Sydow

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Hayley Mills

Ward Bond

Beulah Bondi

Louis Calhern

Edward Everett Horton

Agnes Moorehead

Sylvia Sidney

Margaret Sullavan

Alan Bates

Max Von Sydow

If you could program a day of films for Beulah Bondi, which ones would you choose and why?

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

...if he doesn't get some kind of TCM Tribute, Max von Sydow.

Which films would you select for a Summer Under the Stars tribute for him? Would you focus mainly on his work with Ingmar Bergman?

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

If you could program a day of films for Beulah Bondi, which ones would you choose and why?

I'd include some earlier or lesser known movies like "The Case Against Mrs. Ames" from 1936 , which I don't think I've seen. Also, something like "Make Way for Tomorrow" where she has a more substantial part.   How about The Shepherd of the Hills, The Sisters, Remember the Night?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Peebs said:

I'd include some earlier or lesser known movies like "The Case Against Mrs. Ames" from 1936 , which I don't think I've seen. Also, something like "Make Way for Tomorrow" where she has a more substantial part.   How about The Shepherd of the Hills, The Sisters, Remember the Night?

Yes, those are all fine choices. What about a screwball comedy like VIVACIOUS LADY (1937) where she gets to do lighter material?

• Like 1

I don’t know which actors have been honored outside of last year, so I apologize if some of them have already been honored.

Harold Lloyd

John Gilbert

Victor McLaglen 

Boris Karloff

Vincent Price

Robert Ryan

Brian Donlevy 

David Niven

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, those are all fine choices. What about a screwball comedy like VIVACIOUS LADY (1937) where she gets to do lighter material?

Yep, that's a good one, too!  She's been in so many movies.   I'd like TCM to show some lesser known or lesser shown movies on SUTS maybe during the day and save the familiar warhorses for prime time.  It's an opportunity to show a whole arc of a career.  

I'd prefer a Summer Under the Stars actor to have a role rather than just an appearance in the movie being shown.   Was it last year that TCM had a Rita Moreno day?  They showed "Singin' in the Rain" where Moreno is barely in the movie.  Plus "Singin'" has been shown numerous times in TCM.   They did show "The Tiger Makes Out" on Dustin Hoffman's day where he is in one short scene.  I don't mind that because at least it's a movie most have never seen.   

44 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Yep, that's a good one, too!  She's been in so many movies.   I'd like TCM to show some lesser known or lesser shown movies on SUTS maybe during the day and save the familiar warhorses for prime time.  It's an opportunity for to show a whole arc of a career.  

I'd prefer a Summer Under the Stars actor to have a role rather than just an appearance in the movie being shown.   Was it last year that TCM had a Rita Moreno day?  They showed "Singin' in the Rain" where Moreno is barely in the movie.  Plus "Singin'" has been shown numerous times in TCM.   They did show "The Tiger Makes Out" on Dustin Hoffman's day where he is in one short scene.  I don't mind that because at least it's a movie most have never seen.   

Yes, I think there was one summer when Sophia Loren was honored. They included QUO VADIS (1951). She's barely in the movie, blink and you miss her! (She was an extra in it, for goodness sake.) And it wasn't a short B film, it was a three hour chunk of time. That movie should only be used for its lead stars or main supporting players. So yeah, I agree with what you're saying here.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I don’t know which actors have been honored outside of last year, so I apologize if some of them have already been honored.

Harold Lloyd

John Gilbert

Victor McLaglen 

Boris Karloff

Vincent Price

Robert Ryan

Brian Donlevy 

David Niven

Nice list. Brian Donlevy was honored last summer. I'd certainly like to see a day for McLaglen. He's an underrated actor who had a long career, playing leads and supporting roles.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Which films would you select for a Summer Under the Stars tribute for him? Would you focus mainly on his work with Ingmar Bergman?

Any of his films really, but a day of his Bergman collaborations would be great. I would especially like to see THE HOUR OF THE WOLF and THE MAGICIAN, since I have never seen either. I've seen SHAME in YouTube piecemeal but never in it's film format. I'll say one thing for watching international films on YouTube, though; I can read the subtitles much easier than from across the room on my 26" TV!

37 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Any of his films really, but a day of his Bergman collaborations would be great. I would especially like to see THE HOUR OF THE WOLF and THE MAGICIAN, since I have never seen either. 

Sounds good to me! I haven't seen THE HOUR OF THE WOLF either.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Nice list. Brian Donlevy was honored last summer. I'd certainly like to see a day for McLaglen. He's an underrated actor who had a long career, playing leads and supporting roles.

I forgot that he was honored last year. I shouldn’t have, because I watched a handful of his films; I really liked The Quatermass Experiment. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I forgot that he was honored last year. I shouldn’t have, because I watched a handful of his films; I really liked The Quatermass Experiment. 

I am sure if TCM repeated the same person for a second year, there'd be all kinds of complaints! :) 

13 hours ago, Peebs said:

Hayley Mills

Ward Bond

Beulah Bondi

Louis Calhern

Edward Everett Horton

Agnes Moorehead

Sylvia Sidney

Margaret Sullavan

Alan Bates

Max Von Sydow

I like this list.  Especially the inclusion of SYLVIA SYDNEY, LOUIS CALHERN and WARD BOND.  

Most anything by Calhern, but specifically THE MAGNIFICENT YANKEE.

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE and BLOOD ON THE SUN are a couple of Sydney's movies that don't seemto get much play...  and

WARD BOND's early movie roles are mostly uncredited,  so it will limit the choices to the very late '30's and into the '40's.

I might add VICTOR JORY to that list as well.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

My wish list (in no particular order):

Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Gloria Grahame, Donna Reed, Annette Funicello, Roy Scheider, Donald O'Connor (so underrated), Troy Donahue, Gloria DeHaven, Eve Arden, Dorothy Lamour, Gail Russell, Robert Montgomery, Robert Young (long overdue), Alan Bates, Burt Lancaster, Gregory Peck, Dean Stockwell, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner, and Robert Vaughn.

Some of these are long shots, but we'll see.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, MusicalsGalore said:

Mary Pickford 

Ginger Rogers

William Powell

Esther Williams 

John Garfield 

What films would you select for John Garfield?

7 hours ago, jinsinna13 said:

My wish list (in no particular order):

Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Gloria Grahame, Donna Reed, Annette Funicello, Roy Scheider, Donald O'Connor (so underrated), Troy Donahue, Gloria DeHaven, Eve Arden, Dorothy Lamour, Gail Russell, Robert Montgomery, Robert Young (long overdue), Alan Bates, Burt Lancaster, Gregory Peck, Dean Stockwell, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner, and Robert Vaughn.

Some of these are long shots, but we'll see.

I like your list. And of course, I knew you'd include your man Robert Vaughn!

What films would you include for Eve Arden, since she was in so many great ones...?

• Like 1